• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTL 5000 fading receive

Status
Not open for further replies.

SgtBoleware

I'm working with an XTL 5000 and it's receive strength starts out fine, but quickly weakens gradually.

Nothing has changed in the radio and we haven't had power outages. Also, it's happening on all the channels from multiple radios, so i've narrowed it down to the specific radio being the issue.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
your mention of others having the problem on multiple channels is confusing so we need a terminology clarification please, does this radio not hear others well after a moment, or do others not hear this one well? if others can't hear this one, it would be power falling off, bad antenna, or frequency drift as the most likely culprits. if this one is not hearing others regardless of channel, then it could be an antenna issue or a weak front end. all you cna do is check for SOLID power connections, make sure your coax is not damage or flattened, and try a different antenna. beyond that, it is time for a tech to check the radio itself.

SgtBoleware

Sorry, What I meant was that we've tried talking to it from multiple radios with the same end result.

It's starts off receiving normal, but the audio slowly becomes weaker and weaker.

Power was checked and was fine, the antenna connections were fine and was checked with a meter with less than 5% reflected.

jim202

Sorry, What I meant was that we've tried talking to it from multiple radios with the same end result.

It's starts off receiving normal, but the audio slowly becomes weaker and weaker.

Power was checked and was fine, the antenna connections were fine and was checked with a meter with less than 5% reflected.

Has any wiring been done to the radio recently? Reason I ask is that the neither speaker output wires can be grounded. There is a DC voltage on both of them and you will damage the audio output stage if these wires become grounded. If there are any audio attachments like a siren package, you should have them disconnected until you solve your problem.

When you make a technical post here, it is best to describe the issue in detail. With the information you originally posted, it sounded like the receiver was loosing sensitivity and not hearing any station very well over time. That had me scratching my head on how that could happen.

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
by the audio slowly becoming weaker, do you mean the volume drops or the signal starts getting scratchy? if the volume is dropping, try another speaker on it just to rule that out. though honestly a bad speaker usually does not start good and fade so i doubt it is that.

is this system digital or analog? are the other channels being tried conventional or trunked? if trunked talk groups, then it really does not rule out anything since you are still using the same repeater/antenna systems.

also, does distance from teh tower seem to affect it? how far is the radio from the tower? if tried on a simplex channel, how far apart were the units. you don't want to be right next to each other, but a half mile to mile apart will tell a lot on a simplex channel.

EDIT: MOL lists a firmware update that fixes poor RX on analog securenet systems. are you using securenet?

Last edited:

SgtBoleware

We're using analog, conventional, distance doesn't seem to be an issue. We've tried from people outside the hall to people about a mile away and it's the same. We're not using Securenet either.

The volume of the message is dropping, still clear voice though.

Luis_R

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; T-Mobile myTouch 3G Build/FRG83D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Might be a bad or going bad audio p.a. I had a similar problem with an XTL2500 and found that to be the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.