• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTL5000 Ignition Switch Setting

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtech48

Premium Subscriber
I just finished installing a XTL 5000 in a 2005 Ford F-150 in the dash mount configuration. Everything installed fine and it was up and running, well while i was doing some programming in the CPS i accidentally switched the Ignition Switch setting from Soft Power Off to Required and now my radio wont turn on. The accessory cable is connected, the ignition wire is tapped to a switched fuse but even during ACC or IGN mode the radio wont power on. Is there something that I can do to get it to power on just enough to read the radio or what are the requirements to have the radio power on during this mode

jtech48

Premium Subscriber
Try starting the vehicle and see if the radio comes alive.

I did, I tried every setting as well as checked the faces. It appears that the screen is turning on but then turns off shortly before the self test, like its not getting enough power but the radio is. Connected directly to the battery

NorCalrescue

Premium Subscriber
That's strange. If you have all of the positive wires hooked up to 12-volt then it would be sensing "ignition" or "required". Perhaps you blew an internal fuse or fried something inside?

jtech48

Premium Subscriber
Just read on another forum that the ignition sense wire should be connected to a 12V switched source, if I were to connect that wire to the battery briefly to attempt to turn on the radio, is that a troubleshoot possibility. Just trying to figure out a solution, I apologize ahead of time if thats completely wrong

kd8eee

Premium Subscriber
You can put +12v on the accessory and the main power connector and it should power up. If it doesn't then you might have bigger problems. The radio doesn't really care if the accessory power is "switched" or not, just as long as it's 12 volts.

jtech48

Premium Subscriber
With the help of a mechanic over at our departments motor garage I wired the ignition cable directly to the battery and the radio turned on, so that fuse i had it connected to was not a reliable 12v source. Thanks to everyone on here that offered their help to me, it really helped me troubleshoot to find the solution. I'm overwhelmed with joy that the radio isnt bricked

Status
Not open for further replies.