• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS2500 Vs XPR7550

Status
Not open for further replies.

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
I have a UHF hi band XTS2500 that I use for mostly monitoring. I love the audio and ease of programming with the cps and I also love it's durable feeling.

I am thinking of selling my XTS as there is more DMR here than P25.

Is the XPR 7550 as durable and easy to program?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N4KVE

To me, the 7550 is a radio that a hotel manager would carry. While it certainly is at the TOP of the DMR food chain, these radios were never made for LE abuse. The nice thing is the radio does the whole UHF split. No hi, or low split radio line the 2500. But the 2500 is a much more rugged radio, that can do FPP. The only way a 7550 can do FPP is to get Asian FW, & CPS which is not sold in the USA, but could probably be found. I have both radios, & they both work EXCELLENT. But the 2500, in my opinion can take a beating, while the 7550 belongs in a suit pocket.

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
I would mostly be using the 7550 for personal monitoring as I do with the 2500 now. I do love the durability, it just seems more and more services such as private ambulance, private police and ems are all going to DMR. I've seen some used 7550 radios on eBay and wonder why they are so beat up?.
I have a dell tablet I use that I'm gonna try to sell with it as a package.
As I do love the 2500 and how it feels. I'd really like the 7550 for DMR and local police, fire, ems.

I have RX emphasis enabled for the 2500 and makes the audio sound amazing while monitoring fdny/Nypd/ems

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
This is one application where I'd prefer a 7550 over a 2500. For one thing, the 7550 (and most gen 2 TRBO radios) have amazing sensitivity. Mine (thank you Gary) has RX sensitivity down to -120dbm.

Plus, ASSuming you get one with Bluetooth, that's a nice plus for covert monitoring.

No argument that the durability is not there when compared to say, an XTS5000 or APX6000/7000, but a 2500...the two are about on par construction wise.

The 7550 is a current product, fully supported. 2500 is a cancelled product.
If there is no P25 in your area, than the 7550 might be a better choice for listening.

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
The closest P25 nearest to me is New Jersey, if the sensitivity on RX is good, I might go ahead and sell.
I use the dell venue 10 pro tablet with CPS for my programming.

I get everything pretty well from Harlem on the XTS. I get the far ends of queens and Brooklyn loud and clear. I just hope the xpr will perform the same.

N4KVE

Yes, the RX sens on the 7550 is hotter than a pistol. I figured since it did the whole UHF split, it wouldn't be, but it's amazing what it can hear. So if the radio will lead an easy life, get the 7550. I own both, & here in Florida, we have both DMR, & P25. So I use the 7550 for my DMR comms, & the 2500 for my P25 comms. What's in your wallet, I mean area?

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
I'm hoping to sell the 2500, and tablet for around $500 and looking to spend $600-$700 with a Bluetooth option, and then I need cps and usb programming cable.
I mostly monitor NYPD/FDNY/EMS analog, but I'm interested in tracking and monitoring the big systems here in NYC as well as private ems and such that had gone DMR.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
To me, the 7550 is a radio that a hotel manager would carry

To you maybe, but reality is much different

. Just because it does not have XTS in its model number does not mean it is not meant for **** and abuse.

while the 7550 belongs in a suit pocket.

Uh oh... Better tell the BM, IW and Mammoet on the refinery Being built, that I am currently working at to ditch the XPR-7550 and go get over priced, crappy P25 gear.

These guys stuff them in a back pocket, or clip it to their fall arrest harness, then go climb 45+ metres in the air on structural steel. They inflict real abuse. These radios are not in a body armour vest, or a leather case. These are on their sides un protected. These radios take a serious beating. Every. Single. Day. Much more of a beating than any cop, firefighter, or paramedic will ever inflict on a radio.

The XPR-7550 is a solid radio. There is likely thousands, if not tens of thousands in use in heavy industrial settings. I see them being carried by the antenna, or speaker mic cord EVERY DAY.

romanr

XTS/APX construction

To me, the 7550 is a radio that a hotel manager would carry. While it certainly is at the TOP of the DMR food chain, these radios were never made for LE abuse. The nice thing is the radio does the whole UHF split. No hi, or low split radio line the 2500. But the 2500 is a much more rugged radio, that can do FPP. The only way a 7550 can do FPP is to get Asian FW, & CPS which is not sold in the USA, but could probably be found. I have both radios, & they both work EXCELLENT. But the 2500, in my opinion can take a beating, while the 7550 belongs in a suit pocket.

Moonboots, I have learned a great deal from reading your posts and owe you a debt of gratitude for sharing your experience. I have not seen the tear down of an APX6000, but I do know how the XPR7550 is constructed. I know the XPR is IP68 and Mil-Std 810C-G but I do not like the way the XPR volume pot and channel switch are mounted to the PCB nor do I like the antenna mount. It would really be instructive if you could share what you know about the differences in construction between the XPR and APX portables. Is the APX metal chassis thicker, the polycarbonate for the case thicker/different, the seals different, etc? It seems that an APX6000 costs around 3x what an XPR7550 costs, and I am sincerely curious to see/know/learn about the differences in how the two portables are constructed. Are there circuitry differences that contribute (significantly) to the cost differential as well as the robustness of the APX series? Any specifics or photos or details you could share would be sincerely appreciated. This is simply for my own education and curiosity. Thanks in advance.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
The point about volume and switch controls being mounted directly to the PC board has already been made but I'm going to back it up.

To me, having spent several years fixing radios on a daily basis, the dividing line between a heavy duty, rugged radio and a medium duty radio is whether or not the controls are mechanically part of the PC board or if they are in the housing and connected to the radio via a cable.

I've fixed too many XTS2500s which had the PTT switches ripped clean off the PC board, and condemned many other moto radios due to non-repairable damage to the PC board at the antenna mounting block.

The antenna jack and controls do not belong on the PC board on any radio intended for rugged service.

They WILL get jacked up if they are. It's only a matter of time and issuing the radio to the wrong employee.

N4KVE

if you could share what you know about the differences in construction between the XPR and APX portables. Is the APX metal chassis thicker, the polycarbonate for the case thicker/different, the seals different, etc? It seems that an APX6000 costs around 3x what an XPR7550 costs, and I am sincerely curious to see/know/learn about the differences in how the two portables are constructed.
I don't own an APX, & only today did I see any close up at the Motorola booth at APCO. The 7550 next to the APX was like David, & Goliath. There has to be a reason the APX costs 3 times as much. There must be a reason the hotel managers carry 7550's, & not APX radios. There must be a reason the cops carry the APX, & not 7550's. But what do I know. Radios are just a hobby for me, but on weekends I can be found at gun shows selling firearms for the largest FFL in Florida.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
There has to be a reason the APX costs 3 times as much.

There IS a reason they cost 3-4 times as much compared to the XPR7550, the main source of sales is government. Simply, why charge the government $1000 when you can charge them 4 times as much.

There must be a reason the hotel managers carry 7550's, & not APX radios.

Interesting, I usually see FRS, RDX, HT Waris, or CP series radios in hotels. How ever, at the refinery under construction I am currently working at, I see Mammoet using XPR7550 radios for the riggers to communicate with the cranes, and there are THOUSANDS of XPR 6850 on a 900MHz connect plus trunk system that are owned by the refinery company. Personally I have a HT-750 that is department issued to me, yet IMO the XPR7550 is a much better built radio.

There must be a reason the cops carry the APX, & not 7550's. But what do I know.

Cause that's what they are issued. If they were issued RDX portables, they would use those...

Last edited:

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
19e3da9cfdfc4175c063f0f92d92409a.jpg

Will the XPR7550 decode FDNY IDs like the picture below?
I like that feature, it's not necessary but I am just curious.
The photo is of my XTS2000.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
The point about volume and switch controls being mounted directly to the PC board has already been made but I'm going to back it up.

To me, having spent several years fixing radios on a daily basis, the dividing line between a heavy duty, rugged radio and a medium duty radio is whether or not the controls are mechanically part of the PC board or if they are in the housing and connected to the radio via a cable.

I've fixed too many XTS2500s which had the PTT switches ripped clean off the PC board, and condemned many other moto radios due to non-repairable damage to the PC board at the antenna mounting block.

The antenna jack and controls do not belong on the PC board on any radio intended for rugged service.

They WILL get jacked up if they are. It's only a matter of time and issuing the radio to the wrong employee.

Well said. I too have repaired many XTS2500 PTT/side-button switches, volume/channel switches and SMA connectors. It is a ridiculous notion that the XTS2500 is considered a rugged radio. It is not.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
19e3da9cfdfc4175c063f0f92d92409a.jpg

Will the XPR7550 decode FDNY IDs like the picture below?
I like that feature, it's not necessary but I am just curious.
The photo is of my XTS2000.

If they are using MDC for their ID, then yes, the 7550 will decode MDC IDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.