• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS3000 and HT1250 MDC Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTR-Jason

Premium Subscriber
Ok I am having an issue with my XTS3000 II. It is my personal radio and I use it for work as a deputy.

The issue I am having is with MDC1200. The county uses the HT1250 along with some Kenwoods. There is also CDM1550 and some Kenwoods in our units.

I have read a work 1250 and got all the frequencies and everything thing I need. I have been using it for about months now. MDC never really bothered me becuase our dispatch computers can not even decode it, or are even running it.

But I am trying to set mine up with the MDC1200 call signs from the other radios, yet when they key up, all that shows on MY display is showing a five digit ID number like 00072 or 00073.

On my radio, I have my MDC1200 set to what is programmed in the caller ID for the other Motos, so when I key up, their dispaly shows my call sign how it should be.

I have been programming radios for a long time, and have done Smartnet and everything else, but have never ran into this issue before. I have checked all the settings, and can not see anything.

Also our Kenwoods do not have MDC1200 so I am not worried about those, but just from an HT1250 to my radio, I just get 5 digit numbers.

We are using just analog VHF, nothing complex at all.

So, you are receiving the raw MDC ID decoded, but what you really want is the alias list programmed with the deputies' radio callsigns or names?

If that's the case, go into Conventional, MDC, MDC Call List, then open that, and put the MDC ID into the Call ID box and what you want it to come up as in the Call text box. If I understand your situation right, that should get the other data to display - if you are receiving the raw MDC display. You will be limited to 19 IDs, so I would pick the officers on my shift.

Be safe.

PTR-Jason

Premium Subscriber
I knew I was leaving some stuff out. And this reminded me.

I can make alias names all day long. Not a problem.

The HT1250 is showing a radio ID of 0002. But on my XTS3000 that same radio is showing as 00076 for example, with a five digit number. Not a four digit.

Even if I try to use 00076 or whatever it is, the CPS makes it 76. And it will not show an alias.

No where in the CPS for the HT1250 can I find a five digit ID number, all groups are 000.

I am just at a complete loss. We only have a 6 man department. 10 total with our jailers. And only 4 to 5 units have CDM mobiles, only two other deputies have the HT1250s, with three others sitting in the office for the jailer to take when one is on duty.

So it's not a total major issue. I am just racking my brain trying to figure it out. The HT1250s and the CDMs have about 180 aliases programmed into them to cover the whole county with all our radios, handhelds, mobiles and all other county departments, like schools, water, roads, and the fire and ambulance services.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
The XTS3000 will not do Call Aliasing. You will need an ASTRO25 radio or newer.

RKG

I'm not sure, but it sounds like the OP's issue is the difference between decimal numbers and hexadecimal numbers.

The MDC1200 system is based on hexadecimal radio IDs. The basic rules are:

4-digit hex number.
0000 is not permitted.
F is not permitted in any digit (used as a wildcard).
E is not permitted in first digit (signifies group call).

Motorola subscriber radios, however, are not consistent in how they display a received MDC PTT-ID. Some will show the caller's ID in hex; some will translate it to decimal; some will translate it to decimal and then add it to 700000 (in order to pad out the display).

So, assume a user's MDC ID is 25E1. On some radios (programmed for caller ID but without an alias list), this will be displayed by a receiving radio is "25E1"; on others as "9697"; and on others yet as "709697".

Note that an alias list does NOT format how the sending radio sends its own PTT-ID; it only formats how the receiving radio displays a received PTT-ID.

PTR-Jason

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure, but it sounds like the OP's issue is the difference between decimal numbers and hexadecimal numbers.

The MDC1200 system is based on hexadecimal radio IDs. The basic rules are:

4-digit hex number.
0000 is not permitted.
F is not permitted in any digit (used as a wildcard).
E is not permitted in first digit (signifies group call).

Motorola subscriber radios, however, are not consistent in how they display a received MDC PTT-ID. Some will show the caller's ID in hex; some will translate it to decimal; some will translate it to decimal and then add it to 700000 (in order to pad out the display).

So, assume a user's MDC ID is 25E1. On some radios (programmed for caller ID but without an alias list), this will be displayed by a receiving radio is "25E1"; on others as "9697"; and on others yet as "709697".

Note that an alias list does NOT format how the sending radio sends its own PTT-ID; it only formats how the receiving radio displays a received PTT-ID.

The hex that results in the five digit with a 7 in front if the five digits is an id for smartnet systems.

I am just at a loss why a radio with an ID number of 0002 programmed in it, shows up as 00074 on my display. I was thinking it is a secondary ID number, but I can not find that option on the HT1250. Only on my XTS.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Is it possible you have a call alias setup on the ht1250 and it's aliasing the actual ID to another number?

PTR-Jason

Premium Subscriber
None of the unit numbers are numbers. They are all words. And I do not have anything in my XTS except for words as well.

Anyone willing to look at the code plugs for them? I can send both of them. It maybe something simple I am missing.

t_bergman

I'm not sure if MDC can decode letters but I know we use badge numbers on the radios in my department. If you go under MDC System of the CPS you should see a primary ID which should be set to your id, under the conventional personalities you'll see the signalling tab which should be selected as MDC and the appropriate system. PTT should be checked as well.

Hopefully this helps, I am away from the range of my system at the moment and doing it from memory. I do have a pair of CP200s which I will see if MDC can decode letters.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Hopefully this helps, I am away from the range of my system at the moment and doing it from memory. I do have a pair of CP200s which I will see if MDC can decode letters.

MDC1200 can read letters A through F because it works in hexidecimal. (Someone already mentioned this, but it's worth saying again.) That means that any combination of digits 0 through 9 and letters A through F can be entered as an actual MDC ID. The Alias List is what converts the transmitted MDC ID into a word or words.

I manage a fleet of CP200XLS portables all set up to do exactly this. Each portable is assigned a unique MDC ID and they all are programmed up with the complete Alias List. Works like a charm.

Last edited:

RKG

. . . That means that any combination of digits 0 through 9 and letters A through F can be entered as an actual MDC ID. . . .

As noted above, F cannot be used in any digit and E cannot be used in the first digit. In addition, 0000 is not a valid ID.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
As noted above, F cannot be used in any digit and E cannot be used in the first digit. In addition, 0000 is not a valid ID.

Thanks for catching that. I should have been more careful in explaining but wanted to concisely emphasize that some (and only some) letters can be used in MDC.

RKG

. . .

I am just at a loss why a radio with an ID number of 0002 programmed in it, shows up as 00074 on my display. I was thinking it is a secondary ID number, but I can not find that option on the HT1250. Only on my XTS. . .

The only way a radio decoding a sent MDC PTT-ID of 0002h would display that ID as "00074" is if this translation was programmed into a Call List in the receiving radio.

Note that a quirk of the XTS radios is that a Call List does not have to be referenced in a channel's personality to be decoded. If a list is referenced, that list will be used first. However, if no list is referenced, or if a referenced list does not contain the incoming MDC PTT-ID, the radio will then read any other Call List and use it.

So before concluding that there is no Call List programmed in the radio, but sure to check all of the personalities.

Status
Not open for further replies.