• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS5000 Non-Affiliate Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thegoodkid

They're essentially identical in their basic feature set (display, no keypad).

However, the XTS1500-1.5 is only capable of 3600 baud trunking or 9600 baud trunking, but not both at the same time, and only does 48 channels in three zones. The XTS2500-1.5 can do both 3600 and 9600 at the same time, and up to 96 channels in six zones..

Never mind. I use 80 channels in my main zone, so it looks like I'm getting a 2500

One last question. Does a model 3 work for NAF or does it not work if it has FPP?

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Never mind. I use 80 channels in my main zone, so it looks like I'm getting a 2500

One last question. Does a model 3 work for NAF or does it not work if it has FPP?
If you are considering an XTS for use with Trunking NAF go ahead and rule out FPP. The 2 ain't gonna happen in the same radio. FPP in any XTS is painful.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Thegoodkid

If you are considering an XTS for use with Trunking NAF go ahead and rule out FPP. The 2 ain't gonna happen in the same radio. FPP in any XTS is painful.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Thanks. I don't want FPP, I just wanted to make sure the Model 3 works. Do you know why you can't use FPP? Also how does this radio look? It's a bit expensive for me but I think it's worth it. Does it raise any red flags? Just search (Motorola XTS2500 Model III 700/800Mhz P25 9600 Digital Astro Complete) on Ebay. It's $275

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Thanks. I don't want FPP, I just wanted to make sure the Model 3 works. Do you know why you can't use FPP? Also how does this radio look? It's a bit expensive for me but I think it's worth it. Does it raise any red flags? Just search (Motorola XTS2500 Model III 700/800Mhz P25 9600 Digital Astro Complete) on Ebay. It's $275

You can post the eBay link if you want to.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Because authorized FPP users (government) are usually VHF or UHF conventional and don't require Trunking. And those few gov that do will carry a multi-band APX radio (like my VHF/UHF/700/800 APX 8000XE).
Marshall KE4ZNR

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator

If you believe in "buy the seller" he looks good. 1372 feedbacks, 100% positive.

Thegoodkid

So I did a little bit of research and I don't think it's worth it to sell my 5000 to get an aligned 2500. It's going to cost me more to get the 2500 then to just fix the 5000. Before I send it to a guy on ebay to get to get it fixed (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-R...lignment-Service-Aeroflex-3920B/321818232192?)

There isn't any other reason for this radio to not work. It works on my county, but has terrible range. Turns out the county over 40 miles away has a high power control channel.

Would anyone else align my radio?

Outerdog

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
I love this add. It’s really funny how every photo is crystal clear, but for some strange reason, the photo showing the tags is fuzzy. Can’t even read the model number.

Seems pretty clear to me, Gary. Check your glasses my friend.

B1nR10E.png

Thegoodkid

I'm going to send the radio off hopefully Monday to get it aligned. I'll report back when it gets done.

Thegoodkid

My radio is on its way back. In the meantime here are the results https://pastebin.com/Bdd0Q65a

I'm guessing it was bad enough that it didn't work in a simulcast but it still works on C4FM.

The radio will be back on the 25th so I can see if that fixed it or not.

N4KVE

From what I see, everything passed, so nothing was wrong. It's only when something shows FAIL, then that is realigned. I didn't see any fails. Usually with the P25 radios I've purchased, it's the DEV BAL that fails, but that only affects transmit. Hopefully, it will be OK, but I didn't see anything realigned.

Thegoodkid

So did the aeroflex change anything?

I did see -116.0, is that anything?

KE4ZNR said:
"Any XTS/XTL radio more than 100Hz off on the 800Mhz P25 system I help maintain/manage will usually throw an "out of range" on the display. We are blessed enough to have 2 Aeroflex 3920B's that greatly speed up the alignment process and we can usually fix out of alignment radios in 10mins or less "

P25 Tx Tests (01:16): PASS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rx BER Test @ -116.0 ( < 5.0 %)

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
So did the aeroflex change anything?

I did see -116.0, is that anything?

KE4ZNR said:
"Any XTS/XTL radio more than 100Hz off on the 800Mhz P25 system I help maintain/manage will usually throw an "out of range" on the display. We are blessed enough to have 2 Aeroflex 3920B's that greatly speed up the alignment process and we can usually fix out of alignment radios in 10mins or less "

P25 Tx Tests (01:16): PASS

Rx BER Test @ -116.0 ( < 5.0 %)
Reference Oscillator Alignment ( < 100 Hz)

Freq: 869.8875 MHz *bspv: 189 espv: 147 Freq Error: * *-6 *Hz * *PASS

The above is what I was referring to in my initial post. You were only 6 Hz off which is pretty much spot on. See how it looks for less than 100Hz to pass inspection?
If there freq error was 100Hz or greater then it would have failed.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Thegoodkid

Well I'll just have to try it when it gets back.

I don't think that's going to fix it. Does anyone have any other ideas?

If I can't get it working, I think I'm going to sell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.