• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS5000 Non-Affiliate Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSutton2686

It would have been better if the tech would have performed a "TEST" first and then performed an "Align/TEST". That would have shown you how it looked before if Re-Aligned everything.
Oh well, you now have a perfectly aligned radio.

Thegoodkid

I guess I don't understand what you're saying. If I'm going to ship it half way across the county I want it aligned. Or are you taking about the alignment before they did any thing to it?

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I guess I don't understand what you're saying. If I'm going to ship it half way across the county I want it aligned. Or are you taking about the alignment before they did any thing to it?

Aeroflex allows you to:
1) Just test the radio without making any permanent adjustments.
or
2) Test and align in which the test set will test then align (fix) any issues it finds.

zLO8mq8.jpg

Marshall KE4ZNR

mm

Something that I left out of from further updates to my original post around 10 years ago after I did the first non-affiliate trunk post on batlabs was that I forgot to update some findings discovered in reference to setting CONVERSATION TYPE in the TRUNKING PERSONALITY ADVANCED TAB.

When I ran my first tests on two 700/800 systems, TEMPE AZ and Arizona STATE UNIVERSITY back in the mid to early 2000 time frame, I experienced similar issues as yours and I was missing a fair amount of the comms even after alignment on 2 of my 3920's.

One thing that I did was to make 3 duplicate trunk personalities but ONE had the CONVERSATION TYPE set for PTT-ID, the 2nd set for TRANSMISSION and the 3rd for MESSAGE even though my radio didn't have a transmitter chain in it, the CONVERSATION TYPE, as I recall, had an effect on the receive end..

As I remember one of these personalities CONVERSATION TYPES resolved my issue but being that this was over 10 years ago in my case I don't remember which of the 3 CONVERSATION TYPES resolved it but it's worth a try to make 3 duplicate trunk personalities set to the 3 different CONVERSATION TYPES and test each one.

Thegoodkid

Aeroflex allows you to:
1) Just test the radio without making any permanent adjustments.
or
2) Test and align in which the test set will test then align (fix) any issues it finds.

I thought he was implying that I just have it tested and not aligned. If I'm going to spend $30 on shipping alone not including the $25 alignment fee, I going to it it done right. Is there a chance that he aligned it then have me the results of a test after he had done it?

Marshall KE4ZNR

I thought he was implying that I just have it tested and not aligned. If I'm going to spend $30 on shipping alone not including the $25 alignment fee, I going to it it done right. Is there a chance that he aligned it then have me the results of a test after he had done it?

Something that I left out of from further updates to my original post around 10 years ago after I did the first non-affiliate trunk post on batlabs was that I forgot to update some findings discovered in reference to setting CONVERSATION TYPE in the TRUNKING PERSONALITY ADVANCED TAB.

When I ran my first tests on two 700/800 systems, TEMPE AZ and Arizona STATE UNIVERSITY back in the mid to early 2000 time frame, I experienced similar issues as yours and I was missing a fair amount of the comms even after alignment on 2 of my 3920's.

One thing that I did was to make 3 duplicate trunk personalities but ONE had the CONVERSATION TYPE set for PTT-ID, the 2nd set for TRANSMISSION and the 3rd for MESSAGE even though my radio didn't have a transmitter chain in it, the CONVERSATION TYPE, as I recall, had an effect on the receive end..

As I remember one of these personalities CONVERSATION TYPES resolved my issue but being that this was over 10 years ago in my case I don't remember which of the 3 CONVERSATION TYPES resolved it but it's worth a try to make 3 duplicate trunk personalities set to the 3 different CONVERSATION TYPES and test each one.

I'll have try that! It will be back here tomorrow.

Thegoodkid

And I quoted that wrong! I didn't mean to add "I thought he was implying that I just have it tested and not aligned. If I'm going to spend $30 on shipping alone not including the $25 alignment fee, I going to it it done right. Is there a chance that he aligned it then have me the results of a test after he had done it?" to KE4ZNR's post

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Does the Aeroflex not give the tested values prior to alignment? R8000's will do that...
If configured properly the 3920B will indeed give pre-alignment and post alignment values. I know others may not like the 3920 but we have found that when properly used in conjunction with DiagnostX they can solve a lot of non programming related subscriber issues.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
If configured properly the 3920B will indeed give pre-alignment and post alignment values. I know others may not like the 3920 but we have found that when properly used in conjunction with DiagnostX they can solve a lot of non programming related subscriber issues.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Like most test equipment, the 3920 is only as good as the person that set it up. I know one agency locally that has 3 of them and they use them on daily basis...but they aren't set up properly.

And the XBox is only a good tool when you actually look at the reports and understand what they are telling you.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Like most test equipment, the 3920 is only as good as the person that set it up. I know one agency locally that has 3 of them and they use them on daily basis...but they aren't set up properly.

And the XBox is only a good tool when you actually look at the reports and understand what they are telling you.
True on all of the above.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Marshall KE4ZNR

R8000 and R8100 just give you a nice txt doc with the pre and post values. No configuration to it. Just setup auto tune for the make and model and it does the rest for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber

MESSAGE for "Conversation Type" is the setting that worked for me. I fought a similar symptom back in the day also and that is what fixed it.

Thegoodkid

WHY?!?! So the radio was delivered today (finally). I programmed the original Codeplug, AND IT F'ING WORKED! I'm not talking a little better, I mean it works better than the subscriber radio! I can take the radio any where in the house and it's just singing away.

I'll have to see if it continues to work but I think it's fixed this time. I'll report back tomorrow if it's still working.

I didn't change the "Conversation type", it was the alignment. I'll post videos maybe tomorrow of before and after.

Until then THANK YOU to everyone who helped out!

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
The only thing I can think of now is that the small coax cable inside the radio may be loose. I had one that drove me nuts for a while. It would align correctly and would fail when in the field. Once I repaired that cable, all was well.

Thegoodkid

I've been listening for about an hour and it's worked flawlessly. The subscriber radio is cutting out quite a bit and my is running perfect!

Status
Not open for further replies.