Yaesu: Yaesu 2 meter HT

Status
Not open for further replies.

trauts14

Do any of the newer Yaesu HT's have a wide RX range, and also support more than 6 characters for alphanumeric tagging of memory frequencies? When I do not have my BCD-436 with me, I use my FT-60 as a scanner. It would be great to have the option of labeling/tagging memory channels with more than 6 characters. For example, with "USAF Common [Thirty O Six] " I have to simply label it as "USAF." I would be great to have the full name scroll on the memory channel.

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
Good question. I have a VX-8DR which has tagging, although I don't believe it has a lot of characters. It is out of production now. It does have very wide coverage, from the AM broadcast band to 995 MHz, less cellular of course. It only has AM or FM modes. It even covers the FM broadcast band with full stereo sound.

This HT was not popular with a lot of those who bought it. It's operation is somewhat complex and it's 4 band Tx/Rx was useless to most hams who didn't have access to 6 or 1.25 meter repeaters. It transmits on 6, 1.25, 2, and .70 meters.

A lot of these units where returned due to the above reasons and they are available on Amazon and eBay. I enjoy mine, it is quite small and works well in pair with my FT-8900R which has 6 meters also.

I looked it up. The tagging has 16 characters

Last edited:

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
The Yaesu FT2DR has a wide range. Review to ensure it meets your needs.
Yaesu FT2DR Specifications

That handheld also supports up to 16 characters for a memory name.

Please note that although Yaesu provides software to program that radio, you will need a cable that costs extra.
I use RT Systems software to program the radio. It is a $25 download and I then save the programing to a MicroSD card. Insert the card into the radio and read it. Additionally, the RTSystems software can import lists as well.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I highly recommend the FT2DR. Has more than enough alpha tag characters (16), good wide receive, touch screen navigation, more bells and whistles than I know what to do with. I haven't even begun to explore all what it can do. You won't be disappointed.

JD
kf4anc

trauts14

Thank you all for the assistance. Slightly off subject, do the yaesu mobile amateur radios have a speaker in the handheld mic? With a detachable faceplate it would make sense since the unit might be located under a car seat preventing good audio. I did not know if the mic was a speaker/mic so you can get good audio while the main unit is concealed in the car somewhere.

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
Slightly off subject, do the yaesu mobile amateur radios have a speaker in the handheld mic?

That I don't know, but I don't think so. Would be quite a wimpy speaker to try to use in a car I would think. Mobile radios do have an external speaker jack, and the speaker could be mounted most anywhere. Much better than a microphone speaker.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I have an older model FT-90, and it does not have a speaker in the mike. There is a jack on the radio body for an external speaker and you would need a long cable or possibly some type of Bluetooth system. My new CS800D has a speaker built into the remote head, but it does make the buttons less convenient due to their size.

hill

Premium Subscriber
Yaesu radios don't have a receive audio speaker in the mics.

If you can't hear the on the radio base you will need to plug in an external speaker.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Wide range doesn't mean great reception. You mentioned USAF... If you're planning on listening to mil air (225-380 MHz AM), then forget the VX-8R. Mine is totally deaf on mil air, whIle my Icom R6 using the same antenna and frequency has no problem.

The FT-60, when I had it, did great on mil air.

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
Wide range doesn't mean great reception. You mentioned USAF... If you're planning on listening to mil air (225-380 MHz AM), then forget the VX-8R. Mine is totally deaf on mil air, whIle my Icom R6 using the same antenna and frequency has no problem.

Wonder how my VX-8DR would do. Having MacDill AFB nearby should answer the question.

trauts14

Thank you. I have been pleasantly surprised with the reception of my ft-60. I have not heard any mil activity yet. I do live in the middle of NC, so I am guessing if I hear anything it will be mil air activity. I did learn on here recently there is a mil air refueling location not too far away.

eorange

Wonder how my VX-8DR would do. Having MacDill AFB nearby should answer the question.
It's same the radio RF wise. The DR just adds more memory and options for APRS.

I too listen to aeriel refueling. Had a VX-1R, and it wasn't bad on mil air. Upgraded to a VX-3R, and while it's a great HT, it's just as deaf as the VX-8R on mil air. The 3 and the 8 have a lot of basics in common, and I think they share the Rx guts. Same goes for the 8R and 8DR.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
For a very breif moment in time, Yaesu did make a mobile hand mic called the MH-14. I never had one, but I remember it being offered. It is very safe to say the audio quality would suck in a mobile environment. This is why manufactures who learned from experience, that this type of product just doesn't work well. They offer a speaker output on the back of the radio to let you have the option to do what you want.

I think there is a off brand radio company making one for their radios, but I wouldn't recommend them.

Attachments

• MH 14.jpg
    MH 14.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 11

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
That's what MacDill has, the flying gas stations. And it has Central Command headquarters.

I used to own a house in Hudson, near the Pinellas/Pasco county line (at the intersection of US 19 and New York St), and I could pick up MacDill AFB on my VX-7R very well from that area. I've always been satisfied with Yaesu equipment. We all have our favorites when it comes to amateur radio equipment, and I consider Yaesu and Icom to be neck and neck when it comes to quality.

JD
kf4anc

CQ

Good question. I have a VX-8DR which has tagging, although I don't believe it has a lot of characters. It is out of production now. It does have very wide coverage, from the AM broadcast band to 995 MHz, less cellular of course. It only has AM or FM modes. It even covers the FM broadcast band with full stereo sound.

This HT was not popular with a lot of those who bought it. It's operation is somewhat complex and it's 4 band Tx/Rx was useless to most hams who didn't have access to 6 or 1.25 meter repeaters. It transmits on 6, 1.25, 2, and .70 meters.

A lot of these units where returned due to the above reasons and they are available on Amazon and eBay. I enjoy mine, it is quite small and works well in pair with my FT-8900R which has 6 meters also.

I looked it up. The tagging has 16 characters

I still enjoy my VX-8DR.

They should make configuring a radio by hand, without a manual, part of a practical test for your first ticket. It's sad hearing new and even old timers out there that don't know how to properly operate equipment. At least RTFM...

Although not as wide coverage as the above, as mentioned previously, FT-2DR could work since it has two VFOs.

Frequency Ranges:
A(Main) Band
RX : 76 - 108 MHz (FM Broadcast) 108 - 137 MHz (Air Band)
RX : 0.5 - 1.8 MHz (AM Broadcast)
1.8 - 30 MHz (SW Band) 30 - 76 MHz (50 MHz HAM)
137 - 174 MHz (144 MHz HAM) 174 - 222 MHz (VHF Band)
222 - 420 MHz (GEN1) 420 - 470 MHz (430 MHz HAM)
470 - 774 MHz (UHF Band) 774 - 999.90 MHz (GEN2)
TX: 144 - 148 MHz, 430 - 450 MHz

B(Sub) Band

RX: 108 - 137 MHz (Air Band)
137 - 174 MHz (144 MHz HAM)
174 - 222 MHz (VHF Band)
222 - 420 MHz (GEN1)
420 - 470 MHz (430 MHz HAM)
470 - 580 MHz (UHF Band)
TX: 144 - 148 MHz, 430 - 450 MHz

Welcome to Yaesu.com

The FTM-100/400 do not have speakers in the head units. You would need an external speaker like the MLS-200-M10 if the body speaker was not adequate.

eorange

It could work only if it's not deaf in the mil air range, like most of the recent Yaesu HTs. It's a crapshoot unless it can be definitively tested.

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber

I'm gonna get my trusty analyzer and tune up a 1/4 wave for this range as soon as it quits raining.

Status
Not open for further replies.