Yaesu: Yaesu 400, confused about using tones

Status
Not open for further replies.

AB6CJ

Yaesu FTM-400XDR. I know some repeaters need a tone in order to listen to you. Also, you can set a tone so you only hear signals with that tone. But while reading the Yaesu manual, I'm confused about how to set these.

Here are the menu items I assume one should use:

for DISP/SETUP hold
SIGNALING
1 TONE SQL FREQ (set tone freq) (CTCSS Continuous Tone-coded Squelch System)
67.0 Hz to 254.1 Hz
2 DCS CODE
set Digital Coded Squelch; from 023 to 754
6 PRG REV TONE (user programmed reverse CTCSS tone)
300 to 1500 to 3000 Hz

for F/MW
SQL nnn = set tone squelch type
NOISE, T-TX,
T-TRX, T-REV, D-TRX, PRGM, PAGER, D-TX, TT/DR, DT/TR

Are there others? How do all these interact? Which should I use for the functions I described at the top? Thanks so much.

wrath

You want the CTCSS ,DCS can pretty much be ignored i dont any machines that use it, reverse CTCSS reverse can be ignored as well ,these other types of squelch can be used among a group of guys on simplex to have the radio only pass audio you want to here from your group say at a hamfest or beating around town ,being a Yaesu it also has the ability to let you know if a friend is in range and all kinds of fancy stuff ,if you and all your friends have Yaesu or in a ham family to let you know where the YL and hamsters are at .

Just take care in programming some repeaters have an input tone with no output tone so if you put an output tone on you won't hear the machine.

How do they all interact ,in a word badly .you can completly jack up a radio so it here's absolutely nothing
Without all the various squelch/tone types,it's completely unnecessary for practical day to day communications .
Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AB6CJ

So looks like I should forget about most of that stuff, unless I have a special need (like finding hamsters), then I can learn about it. But for normal work, looks like this is what I should do:

To talk with repeater that requires tone:
DISP/SETUP hold; SIGNALING; 1 TONE SQL FREQ
F/MW; SQL nnn; T-TX

To talk on simplex, when the group requires tone:
same as above

To talk on simplex, when the group requires tone & I want to NOT hear people NOT in the group:
F/MW; SQL nnn; T-TRX

Is that right? Also, for the last example, is that called "tone squelch", rather than just "tone"?

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Rather than trying to use menus, you should get some programming software for your radio. Yaesu offers free software on their website or you can buy it from RT Systems. The free software is not quite as versatile. The radio can use a micro SD card. You write the data onto the card instead of connecting to the radio and then restore it to the FTM-400 with the card inserted. You only need a card reader, not a special cable. The software gives you access to all memory functions and radio settings. Much more convenient than trying to use the menus.

Ignoring DCS for the time being, the difference between tone and tone squelch is that the tone is used to access the repeater whereas tone squelch is what is used on receive to control what you hear. I think you have the idea, but using the software will save a lot of keystrokes.

The FTM-400 has a lot of features that go way beyond CTCSS. It has group ID's that are way more sophisticated. The manual is not as useful as it might be. I suggest finding a club where you can get help from someone who is experienced with that radio. Also, there a Yahoo user groups that may offer more expertise than Radio Reference. You may also find YouTube videos demonstrating function of the radio.

Last edited:

AB6CJ

I just got the Yaesu SW to program the radio & am learning that. But I wanted to make sure I know how to program the radio by hand also. That will help me understand how it all works. Also, when out in the field, could come in handy. Also bought an SD card & will learn how to use it.

Thanks for confirming my ideas about tone/tone squelch. I'll look into the Yahoo groups. Thanks for the suggestion.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
...snip...

To talk on simplex, when the group requires tone & I want to NOT hear people NOT in the group:
F/MW; SQL nnn; T-TRX

Is that right? Also, for the last example, is that called "tone squelch", rather than just "tone"?

Yes, should work as intended, your group using same tone on transmit and receive and others are not.

I'm preceding with caution, because of your use of "NOT" and nature of questions. Nothing wrong with your questions!

In my opinion tone use of any flavor on simplex is unnecessary, because of the consequences. If someone is using the same frequency without your tone he/she is still interfering with your groups ability to talk to one another and you don't know it because of tone on receive squelch.

Simplex is so short ranged unless you are in a mixed group activity no tone is better and if mixed groups a different frequency is a better plan for each group.

Just an opinion...
Good Luck,
Mike

AB6CJ

Appreciate your comments. I was wondering about tone squelch on simplex. Seems you wouldn't know if someone out of the group was transmitting & could collide. It's with a weekly checkin group I wanted to join. I'm a newbie so won't say anything (they are all experienced) but at least now I understand the consequences. I think when I do the checkin, I'll just use TX tone & not RX tone squelch.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Appreciate your comments. I was wondering about tone squelch on simplex. Seems you wouldn't know if someone out of the group was transmitting & could collide. It's with a weekly checkin group I wanted to join. I'm a newbie so won't say anything (they are all experienced) but at least now I understand the consequences. I think when I do the checkin, I'll just use TX tone & not RX tone squelch.

At one time we were all a newbie. Experience is gained by questions asked. Don't be shy, get some... (experience) :D

Mike

AB6CJ

I plan to do just that. I live near the County border so have joined the ARES group in each County. Hope to get lots of experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.