Yaesu: Yaesu AMS causing beep on each received signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

brumey

CFO (Chief Fix-It Officer)
Hello: I just got an FTM-400XDR and also have a FT-2DR. WHen listening to America-Link or other YSF reflector, I got a beep at the start of each received signal. I could not find any references in the manual or on the web. I was not getting this on my FT-2D so I looked at the mode. This is when I discovered, if I have the AMS mode on (a bard symbol above the actual mode indicator on the display), I get the beep. Seledcting one of the modes manually on either redio and I don't get the beep.

Can anyone confirm this behaviour is normal and perhapes why it does it? Also, ist there a way to use AMS and supporess the beep.

Also, the FTM-400XDR is a great looking radio and probably the best display I have seen on a mobile radio.

Thank you.

brumey

RTM was done before posting!!!! The settings for the beep described in the manual do not change the symptoms I describe. Confirmed same on FT2. Maybe read my post again.

For those interested and to be helpful, I found the beeping happens when the mode is set to AMS. If I select a fixed mode, no beep.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
From my 400D manual...

Click for bigger view.

You might have to power cycle after changing to off.

BeepONOFF.JPG

brumey

Will check again this evening. I tried that previously but, did not power cycle.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
I just turned mine OFF during an active QSO I was monitoring without a power off. It was ON and beeping. Switching to OFF and beep went away.

CQ

It's especially annoying when you have the volume turned down and it still beeps loudly, every time. Turned it off on all my Fusion rigs.

It was slightly useful when mobile so I didn't have to look down at the lights when someone unkeyed, but that volume never lowered along with the audio level.

brumey

Thanks Everyone. I will check the settings again tonight on both the 400 and FT2. I am new to Fusion.

brumey

I tested this evening with a little more clarity. First off, I am using a Zumspot as my entry point to YSF. I also have an OpenSpot.

On the Zumspot, which is my primary connection, the beep at the start of each transmission is still present when the radio option is off. I also tried turning the radio off and on again after changing the beep setting to off and its still present.

I then setup a YSF mode on my RF Shark OpenSpot V1. I went ot the same reflector and with the radio beep setting off, I did not get the start of transmission beep. When I turned the radio beep setting on, I get a beep at the end of each transmission.

If I leave the radio beep setting on and listen on my ZumSpot I get a beep at the start and the end of each transmission. The tone of the beep is different for start and end.

I therefore conclude that the ZumSpot must have a setting to add a beepp at the start of each transmission and the Radio beep setting adds a beep at the end of each TX.

I'll look at the Zumspot setting another time.

Can anyone else confirm or get the same results?

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Zumspot is an unexpected data point. I've set mine up for YSF awhile back, but can't check it just now. If its the Zumspot see if the radio beeps when the red transmit LED is on for the Zumspot. Timing will be tight and maybe difficult to determine. Are there any local YSF repeaters you could test with?

Status
Not open for further replies.