Yaesu FRG-100 Internal Clock Running Fast

Status
Not open for further replies.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
My FRG-100 receiver's clock runs about five minutes fast over a month's time. Has anyone experienced this? Guess I should check the op manual to see if there is a fix. Thanks

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Even better if you don't find it there would be to check to see if there's a Yahoo group or similar somewhere for that radio. Likely there is one but that radio is so old there might not be a whole lot you can do about it...Mike

majoco

Stirrer
The service manual is here....

http://www.radiomanual.info/schemi/YAESU_RX/FRG-100_serv.pdf

All the 'housekeeping' is done by the microprocessor Q2010 on the "Local & Oscillator" board. It has it's own crystal oscillator that supposedly runs at 12.288MHz but it has no trimmer capacitor to make any adjustment - I suspect the crystal has drifted high over the years - this will be the one that sources the frequency for the clock as you have not noticed any frequency error from the receiver (have you??) - see if you can 'listen' for that oscillator on or near that frequency with another receiver if possible. All the crystals that control the receiver oscillators probably have tighter specs - if you don't know anyone with the knowledge and the test equipment to play with and it's something you can live with it's probably best left alone. You might like to get in touch with the US Yaesu agents if you're really desperate!

It's not uncommon - I have a Tecsun PL600 bedside radio that the clock alarm runs slow by about two minutes a month. At least I don't have a bus to catch!

Cheers - Martin.

Boombox

One minute a week fast, roughly? It's not something I personally would fret about.... However, best of luck in fixing it.

There used to be a Yaesu FRG-7 eGroup on Yahoo. Whether it's still there is a good question. Either way, it used to be active as late as 2-3 years ago, and I'm guessing that if there was an FRG-7 group there probably was also an FRG-100 group, as a lot of those radios were sold over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.