Yaesu FRG-7000

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanAKAL

I found one of these Yaesu FRG-7000 for $175. Supposedly it is like new and never used. I have not owned any radio like this before and this would be my first venture into anything beyond am/FM and CB radios. It would be primarily used for shortwave. Would this be a good radio for the price? Any comments welcome.

Dan

Last edited:

Bill_White

I can't imagine EVER finding a 25-30 year old "never used" receiver...
Personally, I would perfer the FRG-7 but,
Over the years I have seen fewer FRG-7000's for sale.
That is a good buy. I would grab it without thinking twice for that price.

Where did you find it? :roll:

rankin39

I had a FRG-7000 for a couple of years when they first came out. For casual SW listening it's just fine. If you want to dig for the "rare" or weak stations, there are problems. (1) the radio drifted badly until it got really warmed up. You won't notice this in the a.m. mode, but if you try to tune SSB transmissions, you'll have to keep retuning every couple of transmissions. (2) If you use an outdoor antenna, the radio will overload fairly easily and you'll hear all kinds of "ghosts" in places where they are not actually transmitting. You can fix this by keeping the antenna reasonably short. When I complained about the overloading to Yaesu, they just laughed. The 7000 is not supposed to be a high-grade receiver. That said, it would be hard to go wrong for $175. I liked the little radio in many ways. It was their first "direct readout" radio and dates from around 1977 or so.

Bob, WoNXN

DanAKAL

Thanks for all of the info guys. It appears I might have waited too long as the seller informed me that they have now already sold the radio. I found it on Craigslist. Oh well, off to look for another radio. I'll probably get a new Sangean 909 as a starter. From everything I have read this is a very good radio for just SWLing. Again, thanks for the info.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.