Yaesu FRG 8800 display

Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestsw

I've had mine for several years, and has been a good performer for what I use it for. But, I'm having
trouble with the display. During an operating session the display will go out, but if I tap the top of the
front cabinet it comes back, so assuming a short/connection issue. Have done the interweb search,
and there are frequent issues/fixes with the display flashing, which is not my problem per se.
I removed the top and disconnected the power connection for the display and sprayed a little contact cleaner on both the male and female areas and let it dry and re-seated. Reassembled, and turned it
on for a good hour and surfed the bands. It went out a couple of times, but the tap on top brought it
back.... I did ensure all of the Phillips screws that I could access topside were snug. It's not a huge
problem, just an annoying one. Does anyone have any further suggestions ?

db_gain

In this case perhaps hitting the solder joints and reflowing them at the display area is in order.

KB0VWG

FRG-8800

I have one those too but no display issue on mine not just yet anyways but I do have an issue when mine gets warmed up enough the audio just quits, Doesn't matter what band it just goes silent. i turn it off for a while and then back on again and it might work for another 30 minutes.

Havent had a chance to check it out yet.
kb0vwg
wqoi992

midwestsw

Maybe do a 'reboot' by removing batteries for awhile ?...worth a shot. I really like mine, I know
it never got stellar reviews but in my opinion one of the better looking classic radios. Have owned
it for right at 16 years, my Sony 7600G hears things the '88 won't, or certainly does hear some things
better. However, I don't think that would be a reason for me to sell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.