Yaesu: Yaesu FT-60R

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Leaving out the air band on the FT65R is a real downer. Could care less about broadcast FM. Plus only 200 memories.
So won't be looking at the 65. Will take closer look at FT70 as has air band but not as wide receive. And unlike the Wouxuns, the FT60 does not drain the battery when off.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The FT-65R, while a Yaesu radio, incorporates a couple of the features made popular by Baofeng; the built-in flashlight and the ability to receive commercial FM broadcasts.
Not sure I see the connection. The Yaesu VX-7 (released in 2002) had a flashlight feature. The VX-7 could also receive FM broadcasts as could other Yaesu VX-series handhelds. Sounds to me like the Chinese copied Yaesu.

jtderby

Premium Subscriber
Have the FT60. Love it. Pre ordered a FT70 to see if it's a worthy successor.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

k6cpo

Not sure I see the connection. The Yaesu VX-7 (released in 2002) had a flashlight feature. The VX-7 could also receive FM broadcasts as could other Yaesu VX-series handhelds. Sounds to me like the Chinese copied Yaesu.

It also has the same "reverse SMA" antenna connector as the Baofengs, which may not be a bad thing. With the connector recessed into the body of the radio, there's less chance of it getting snapped off from a blow to the antenna. Should this happen, it's a simple matter of buying a new antenna instead of an expensive repair to the radio.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
It also has the same "reverse SMA" antenna connector as the Baofengs, which may not be a bad thing. With the connector recessed into the body of the radio, there's less chance of it getting snapped off from a blow to the antenna. Should this happen, it's a simple matter of buying a new antenna instead of an expensive repair to the radio.

A reverse SMA has the pin/barrel reversed. It is simply a male connector on the radio rather than a female connector.

wrath

If I HAD to limit myself to one HT, it would be the FT60R. Well constructed, easy to program in the field, reliable, great receive coverage, all at a price just above the better Chinese dual banders. AA battery case is realistically priced and standard battery is decent. Best dual band radio since the FT-51R, which I still have.
I loved my 51R , I ran over that radio with Honda civic and kept using it with the remote display mic for like 4 years, still have that mic somewhere.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I loved my 51R , I ran over that radio with Honda civic and kept using it with the remote display mic for like 4 years, still have that mic somewhere.

My first dual band was during the FT-530/TH-79 era. Do not remeber the Icom offering of the time. It was the generation right before the FT-51. I wish I had gone with the FT-530 and not the TH-79. Went TH-79 becaise of alphanumeric display.

wrath

My first dual band was during the FT-530/TH-79 era. Do not remeber the Icom offering of the time. It was the generation right before the FT-51. I wish I had gone with the FT-530 and not the TH-79. Went TH-79 becaise of alphanumeric display.
I still have my 530 another good rig , 26 years old and still kicking ,putting the memory battery into the front of the radio is always a hoot .

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Yea, my best friend inherited his dads FT-530 after he passed away. He still uses it to this day. Great radios, I'm not a big fan of their modern stuff though

wrath

The problem with the new stuff all boils down to too things , the display and the menus, there are no fun to program Yaesus, they are a chore , my current choice of rig is Kenwood they have the display and the menu thing down pretty cold , a 7 year old could program a Kenwood to work first time yaesu not so much , remembering the conventions of yaesu is not easy, ft1d to hard to see due to size, ft2d low contrast Grey on Grey, the 400xdr has a nice display but is hard to use, the 100 is single band at a time, the 3200 well that's just a stripped radio and I am not liking the new midline handheld they completely left out APRS , I don't buy a radio without a TNC and GPS built in anymore as far as handheld, my last two HTS have been the 72a and 74a .then again I have cataracts and trifocals that will explain that.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I agree on the user interface issues. I have a Kenwood TH-F6 and a TH-D72. Both are fairly easy to program. I also have a Yaesu VX-8GR and an FT-1DR. Both strike me as more difficult to program compared to the Kenwoods.

But, this thread is about the FT-60R. I used to have one of those ,too, and it was easier to operate compared to the newer Yaesus.

k6cpo

Even though my FT1DR System Fusion® HT is my preferred HT, there are still times I use my FT-60r instead. Along with the low audio from the built-in speaker, one of my other complaints with the FT1D is the method for adjusting the volume. You have to hold a button on the side of the radio and turn the top knob to adjust the volume. It's really kind of a pain in the ***. If I'm working in an environment where I'm having to adjust the volume a lot, I use the ft-60 with its top-mounted volume control instead.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
The big draw back to most yaesu radios, especially the FT-60, is the 3.5mm speaker/mic plug. Unlike the VS commercial stuff some of the ham gear is modeled, there is no way to secure a speaker/mic to the radio(the antenna thingy is dumb.) The 3.5mm Speaker/mic on my VX-231 is secured with two screws. The threaded connector on the FT-270 I own is nice, but the speaker/mic sucks. Small, cheap and lousy audio. I have played with a VX-8 with the multi-pin plug, and it seems like its a solid plug.

I just would like to see the big 3 provide better audio accessories. It is not 1993 any more

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I agree on the user interface issues. I have a Kenwood TH-F6 and a TH-D72. Both are fairly easy to program. I also have a Yaesu VX-8GR and an FT-1DR. Both strike me as more difficult to program compared to the Kenwoods.

But, this thread is about the FT-60R. I used to have one of those ,too, and it was easier to operate compared to the newer Yaesus.

I suppose one gets used to what ever they use most. I don't use the F6 or D72 [except for APRS] as I find them terrible to program. Having used mostly Yaesu, I can program at a drop of the hat. Yes the 8GR and 1DR are more? difficult to program but that is because of more features. Once I realized there is menus for voice modes and APRS, no problem. The D 72 is same. Which I have more problem such as how do I select the menu to change and then get out of it. Having owned 8900 and 400, I have no problems programming them in the field. The 60 is only a problem due to it's large number of memories. That is to change memory 300, one has to step through 299 other memories. I agree the mic plug in sucks but have found wrapping an elastic band around it keeps it in place. I do like it's squelch knob as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.