Yaesu: Yaesu FT-8900R w/Diamond CR-8900A question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spdfile1

/\/\ Junkie
So I'm thinking about purchasing the Yaesu FT-8900R for the car because I love it's Quad Band functionality at a good price. And of course I'll be getting the Diamond CR-8900A Quad Band antenna with it (with of course the proper mount). My general question is what kinda of luck have fellow hams had with this set up? And my specific question is on the antenna's fold over mechanism. I hear it is of hex nut design. Does it fold over one way and once it's folded does it lock into the folded position. Example would be if I mounted it on the side trunk lip of my 2014 Chevy Impala (newer model) say on the drivers side could I fold it over the trunk but have it lock so that it doesn't touch the trunk and possibly scratch the paint. I wouldn't be driving down the road with it folded over but I park in a parking garage at work which would require me to fold it over. I will be having to fold it over at least a couple times a week in order to park in the parking garage. With that said does anyone know that has the antenna if the folding over mechanism is able to withstand that much activity?

FKimble

I would be concerned that even if it folds and locks, that the antenna itself would be bouncing/flopping up and down hitting the trunk lid. Not sure of its length but the longer the floppier!

Frank KK4YTM

spdfile1

/\/\ Junkie
FKimble,
Yeah that's a true story. I won't be driving with it folded over so it shouldn't become an issue.....in theory lol!!!!!

bill4long

The Diamond folding mechanism works well. When its vertical it "sits down and locks" into the hole. To fold over, you have to pull the antenna up out of the hole, then it can fold. My 770 has never had a problem. The CR-8900A is 50 inches long and weighs 1.2 pounds. Probably would not want to drive around out on the road when it is folded. Driving around a parking garage at low speed should not be a problem.

Golay

A little over 4 feet

duplicate post

Last edited:

spdfile1

/\/\ Junkie
The Diamond folding mechanism works well. When its vertical it "sits down and locks" into the hole. To fold over, you have to pull the antenna up out of the hole, then it can fold. My 770 has never had a problem. The CR-8900A is 50 inches long and weighs 1.2 pounds. Probably would not want to drive around out on the road when it is folded. Driving around a parking garage at low speed should not be a problem.

Very good info bill4long. That’s exactly what I wanted to hear!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.