Yaesu: Yaesu FT-891 Reset Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
I bought a Yaesu FT-891 HF rig in mid December and spent a lot of time trying out various settings in the galaxy of menus this radio has. I was away from ham radio for 30 years and my, how things have changed. After much testing of many settings (especially the Tx audio) I decided to do a master reset and then reapply the settings I found favorable to my use. This would return the radio to default factory condition in case there where settings I changed and forgot about.

The reset did indeed return the settings to default. But afterword's while doing some signal strength testing on 80 meters with a local friend I found that the power menu topped out at 50 watts. This was also the case with the 6 meter settings. Since resetting the radio it no longer has 100 watt output. I called Yaesu, and the tech had me do a "hard reset" using two buttons on the radio along with the power button. This isn't mentioned in the manual unless I missed it somehow. The reset did not correct the wattage problem, so the tech had me do a firmware refresh as well. Still no change in the power menu. The tech then had me give him the serial number to see if I had been sold a European version of the radio. The European version is 50 watts maximum, includes 4 meters but excludes 6 meters. My radio is the North American version according to the serial number. They had me send in the radio, it is supposed to hit their bench on the 5th.

I also called Ham Radio Outlet where the radio was purchased (Atlanta store), and they informed me that they had another FT-891 returned to them with the same issue. The difference with the radio they had was that it had been "modified" for out of band operation. My radio hasn't. From what I have read it is done by soldering some contact points that are normally open from the factory.

My advice for those who might have this radio is to not do a complete reset until the cause of this problem is understood, and a solution can be provided that doesn't require sending the radio to California. Hopefully a user solution can be found, such as a firmware update.

Last edited:

wrath

I bought a Yaesu FT-891 HF rig in mid December and spent a lot of time trying out various settings in the galaxy of menus this radio has. I was away from ham radio for 30 years and my, how things have changed. After much testing of many settings (especially the Tx audio) I decided to do a master reset and then reapply the settings I found favorable to my use. This would return the radio to default factory condition in case there where settings I changed and forgot about.

The reset did indeed return the settings to default. But afterword's while doing some signal strength testing on 80 meters with a local friend I found that the power menu topped out at 50 watts. This was also the case with the 6 meter settings. Since resetting the radio it no longer has 100 watt output. I called Yaesu, and the tech had me do a "hard reset" using two buttons on the radio along with the power button. This isn't mentioned in the manual unless I missed it somehow. The reset did not correct the wattage problem, so the tech had me do a firmware refresh as well. Still no change in the power menu. The tech then had me give him the serial number to see if I had been sold a European version of the radio. The European version is 50 watts maximum, includes 4 meters but excludes 6 meters. My radio is the North American version according to the serial number. They had me send in the radio, it is supposed to hit their bench on the 5th.

I also called Ham Radio Outlet where the radio was purchased (Atlanta store), and they informed me that they had another FT-891 returned to them with the same issue. The difference with the radio they had was that it had been "modified" for out of band operation. My radio hasn't. From what I have read it is done by soldering some contact points that are normally open from the factory.

My advice for those who might have this radio is to not do a complete reset until the cause of this problem is understood, and a solution can be provided that doesn't require sending the radio to California. Hopefully a user solution can be found, such as a firmware update.
I don't own one of those so I haven't looked but on my Icom when something similar happened there was a "hidden" tech menu for factory service and tuning we entered into it and the sky was the limit of stuff that could be adjusted , lots of things I had no idea about right wrong or in between but power output I was sure could go back to 100 ,if you haven't googled & you tube searched the rig there may be a whole nother realm of menus that tech support wouldn't mention that might have saved you a trip to Cali that you could have done,these things get discovered by your brothers and sisters who buy them to torture test and learn all the secret button combos , and that is helpfull privledges change and we opened my rig up so it could tune those parts of the spectrum ,it would have been an out of warranty service visit , it might take them a whole ten seconds "to fix" but they will get for a full visit.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
tech support wouldn't mention that might have saved you a trip to Cali

That's exactly it. They didn't mention anything other than a firmware update. I wonder how this will be resolved. Hopefully firmware can be written to cure it.

2IR473

Premium Subscriber
I would be interested to hear the outcome of this issue, as I have a feeling that it is related to Yaesu’s firmware. My FT-891 was purchased in 11/2016, and I did one firmware update shortly after I got it, but I never updated to the most current firmware, dated 9/6/2017 on Yaesu’s site.

I had modified my radio for full transmit, and had done factory resets, and my output is 100 watts, both in the menu settings, and on transmitter output.

However, I also owned (since sold it) an FT-991a and I do know that the firmware update dated 9/6/2017 on the 991a caused some issues, which Yaesu subsequently fixed. I hope you let us know the outcome, because it might help out other 891 owners, as Yaesu is not forthcoming with it’s mistakes, as they usually just say their updates “improve operation”, rather than admit their mistakes.

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
I would be interested to hear the outcome of this issue, as I have a feeling that it is related to Yaesu’s firmware.

Will do. I have a feeling that you best not apply that latest update. I wonder how long a new update will take.

wrath

I would be interested to hear the outcome of this issue, as I have a feeling that it is related to Yaesu’s firmware. My FT-891 was purchased in 11/2016, and I did one firmware update shortly after I got it, but I never updated to the most current firmware, dated 9/6/2017 on Yaesu’s site.

I had modified my radio for full transmit, and had done factory resets, and my output is 100 watts, both in the menu settings, and on transmitter output.

However, I also owned (since sold it) an FT-991a and I do know that the firmware update dated 9/6/2017 on the 991a caused some issues, which Yaesu subsequently fixed. I hope you let us know the outcome, because it might help out other 891 owners, as Yaesu is not forthcoming with it’s mistakes, as they usually just say their updates “improve operation”, rather than admit their mistakes.
Not fortcoming with mistakes ,you mean ones like the 991 non A version , yes they straightened them out eventually making them a pretty good deal on the used market at the time they were new it was the kiss of death , to own one for awhile . But lets face it very view companies make a product controversy free ,for sale without making somebody pissed .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
The radio was shipped yesterday, and I talked with a Yaesu rep this afternoon. He informed me that the E-Prom chip was fried and that it was resetting properly now. I should receive the radio Thursday evening. I guess I'll brave a reset when I get it.

2IR473

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the update. Interesting that the EPROM chip was damaged on a one month old radio, and apparently it was faulty from the factory. I guess this the sort of ambiguous info that is typical of Yaesu, as I don’t understand how a damaged EPROM would allow you to restore your radio to working operation, yet restrict the power output to half. I guess I could write it off as an anomaly if it was just your radio, but you did say that HRO reported a similar issue with another customer’s 891.
I have a friend that just bought an 891 and he was waiting to hear about your results, as it causes some concern about doing resets. I guess there is only one way to find out.

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
I guess there is only one way to find out
Yes there is only one way, and I cringed as I did it when I got it back a day early yesterday. Fortunately, all went well. Evidently there are some units out there that have the issue. The unit at HRO had been modified for out of band operation, however.

By the way, this is a wonderful little radio. I'm having a blast with it.

2IR473

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I think the FT-891 is a very good radio for being under $600 usually. It was originally priced at $900 when first introduced, and that is another reason I am not a fan of Yaesu these days. They launch a product at a sigificantly higher price, and discount it deeply over the course of the first few months or year. This is not a very customer-friendly approach in my opinion. I paid over $700 for mine back in late 2016 and it has generally been under $600 since mid-2017. I was not an “early adopter” as it had been out for nearly a year at that point, but I would never buy a newly introduced Yaesu product now, as Yaesu will lower the price eventually. Look the FT-70DR...selling for $199 when new, now available for $140. All within it’s first year of production.

This policy, along with their less-than-forthcoming information on firmware flaws, has turned me away from Yaesu. And I am sure the modification for out to band operation on the other radio did not cause this issue. That modification is performed by HRO, Gigaparts, and others all the time. It does, however, require a factory reset, and that likely introduced the faulty firmware into the radio.

I don’t know if Yaesu was completely forthcoming with you, regarding the issue. If an EPROM chip was “fried”, it would not be able to load any settings back into the radio, making the radio unusable. From what I gathered, your radio installed incorrect firmware that still allowed it to function, yet at the 50 watt limit rather than the 100 watt limit. Not sure if you had confirmed 100 watts out prior to your reset, but I would think it was Yaesu’s failure from the start.

But this is just my distrust of Yaesu that is coloring my opinion. I know they will stand behind their products...and their screw-ups. After buying many Yaesu radios, I will no longer purchase their products.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
But this is just my distrust of Yaesu that is coloring my opinion. I know they will stand behind their products...and their screw-ups. After buying many Yaesu radios, I will no longer purchase their products.
I am a fan of Yaesu. Still, after their various radio releases and re-releases of late due to critical flaws, I wait a year or so before buying their "new" radios. They do stand by and repair or replace bad equipment, which I have dealt with, but some items it seems like they did not field test...ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.