Yaesu: Yaesu FT2D Headset Adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

AE7BF

First off I did some searching through the forums and can't see that anyone has asked this before which surprised me because I can't be the first but I apologize in advance if I missed it in my searching.

So I have purchased this radio and right now just use it for listening, (scheduled to take my test in two weeks) but I am a little hard of hearing (actually hear fine, hard of filtering background noise) and I have an advanced set of earbuds that are custom molded to my ears that I use for listening to music, making calls on my smartphone, etc and I'd like to use them for this radio. I have discovered however that the while the 3.5mm jack is the same in size it appears to be configured differently than every other normal headset jack on the planet.

Where can locate an adapter to allow this to work, Tx isn't as important, 99% of the usage would be listening anyway.

Thx.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Smartphone type headphones will not work. No adapter will change that. I suggest getting a Yaesu headset/mic. I have the VC-24 for use with my VX6R. It gives you a PTT/Vox dongle with a volume control. There are two models of this headset. The VC-24 has a threaded plug and the other model does not. The VX6R uses the threaded type because it is submersible. I don't know about the FT2D. The mic on the headset is very hot and I need to reduce the mic gain setting of the radio to 2 to avoid over modulating.

Good luck with you test.

AE7BF

Smartphone type headphones will not work. No adapter will change that. I suggest getting a Yaesu headset/mic. I have the VC-24 for use with my VX6R. It gives you a PTT/Vox dongle with a volume control. There are two models of this headset. The VC-24 has a threaded plug and the other model does not. The VX6R uses the threaded type because it is submersible. I don't know about the FT2D. The mic on the headset is very hot and I need to reduce the mic gain setting of the radio to 2 to avoid over modulating.

Good luck with you test.

Ugh... That's disappointing to say the least. I guess I'll sell this one, as this unfortunately other one's won't work for me.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Yeasu does make an adapter to split the mic/speaker jack into a Y so that you can access the mic and speaker connections. The sound would be mono, but you can buy or make an adapter to feed your ear phones. If you are not so interested in transmitting then this would work for you. The one I have is the CT-91. It again has a threaded plug, but there are others without. Radio Shack sells mono to stereo adapters.

cmdrwill

Smartphone type headphones will not work. No adapter will change that.

The ear phones WILL work just fine with the correct adapter and or cable. I build lots of interfaces for headsets or ear phones/buds, so I would be glad to help.

k6cpo

I was faced with the same issue as I wanted to use one of the curly "earwig" earphones with my FT-60 and FT1DR. If I plugged the standard mono plug into either radio, it would short the transmit contacts in the jack and the radio would go into transmit.

I thought I was so smart when I bought a couple of TRRS (Tip, ring, ring, sleeve) plugs and wired the proper contacts to a mono jack with a short piece of cable. It turned out it didn't work with the FT1DR because there is a ring molded into the body of the radio around the jack that prevents the plug from going in far enough. It works fine with the FT-60, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.