Yaesu FTA-450L not holding Squelch Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jmolli

I am having the exact same problem described below by user sefrishling in a closed 2017 thread in this forum. Wondering if anyone came up with a solution to the Yaesu squelch issue. I have the FTA-450L from Yaesu. It seems worse when I’m in my car or in my airplane (no external antenna). Squelch just seems to drop to zero on its own. It makes scanning impossible.

Old post by member “sefrishling”:
I would say the FTA-550 squelch can be a tad finicky. At random times even on 10 you'd swear it was on 1. Not sure what causes it, the issue comes and goes, but overall it is a really good radio.

Thanks,
John

xms3200

Premium Subscriber
You are welcome, you will not be disappointed when holding an Icom A25C and listening to ATC with no squelch problems. Might help to email Yaesu and complain about their FTA-450L.

w1bp

Premium Subscriber
I've had a similar problem on a Yaesu ham radio. It happened when the internal memory battery died. Swap the little watch battery inside and the squelch should stay set.

Brian

w1bp

Premium Subscriber
It seems worse when I’m in my car or in my airplane
If it's a problem that the squelch opens with no signal present, it could be interference from your car or airplane electronics.

The battery issue I described above was if the radio won't hold a menu-set squelch setting between power on/off cycles. If you power on the radio and the squelch is still set, but the squelch opens in the car, I would say that's an RFI issue.

Jmolli

Thanks Brian. I think it is an RFI issue like you noted. I recently got an external magnetic roof antenna and when I use it, with the radio still inside the car, I don’t have the squelch problem. It does hold squelch at power up.

Status
Not open for further replies.