Yaesu: Yaesu System Fusion Repeater Program (Same but new)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Yaesu is offering their repeaters at a discount again, or upgrade with a trade-in. This is available to clubs or individuals.
This new offering runs from February 1 to June 30 2019. An application must be filled out and approved.
dr2xprogram@yaesu.com

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I have used this program twice. First we replaced an aging Kenwood with a DR-1 and then traded that in for a DR-2. The application process is fairly smooth. We had an existing site, a non-profit corporation and an ARES affiliation. On the trade in Yaesu sent the new repeater before we sent back the trade in. The radios are a steal at $500. I may try to get another one for a different site to replace another aging Kenwood. It is my understanding that they won't take modified rigs back in trade. (A fair number of DR-1's were converted to DMR.) While I am all for digital modes, Yaesu was not amused by the DMR conversions.

prcguy

The DR-2X is up to $700 on this current sale.

I have used this program twice. First we replaced an aging Kenwood with a DR-1 and then traded that in for a DR-2. The application process is fairly smooth. We had an existing site, a non-profit corporation and an ARES affiliation. On the trade in Yaesu sent the new repeater before we sent back the trade in. The radios are a steal at $500. I may try to get another one for a different site to replace another aging Kenwood. It is my understanding that they won't take modified rigs back in trade. (A fair number of DR-1's were converted to DMR.) While I am all for digital modes, Yaesu was not amused by the DMR conversions.

N4KVE

They keep doing this to get people to buy Fusion radios. Barely make $ on repeaters to make profit on radios. But as long as clubs set them to mixed mode, people will still use their 30+ year old 2AT’s on these new confusion repeaters. I wonder if Yaesu worked out the overheating problems these repeaters had when they first came out. The solution back then was to run these 50 watt repeaters at 25 watts. Hopefully, they addressed the problem.

prcguy

I've been playing with a DR-2X for a couple of weeks and it must be run at 25W or less for continuous duty. I don't see a problem with that and running an external amp for higher power. If you think about the profit model, a single repeater with no profit for the mfr supports a lot of radios and sales of those radios. Could be a dozen or 30 or more in a busy area and its nice that Yaesu discounts the repeater to get more of them out there.

They keep doing this to get people to buy Fusion radios. Barely make $ on repeaters to make profit on radios. But as long as clubs set them to mixed mode, people will still use their 30+ year old 2AT’s on these new confusion repeaters. I wonder if Yaesu worked out the overheating problems these repeaters had when they first came out. The solution back then was to run these 50 watt repeaters at 25 watts. Hopefully, they addressed the problem.

Stretchman

Confusion repeaters. Yeah, ok, but let's face it, when it comes to getting onto the digital modes, Yeasu by far has all the others beat. Think about the amount of programming necessary to get a Yeasu radio on air digital vs. the competition. add to that subjectively Yeasu also has the best quality signal. Oh, and it's not simply the repeaters that are cheap. C4FM radios are cheaper by comparison to the competition on a regular basis.

Yeasu also does WiresX, but they can also do DMR, support analog to digital conversion, can be lan linked, support virtually every feature in the book, including text, gps, and photo sharing, all while supporting analog radios at the same time.

Program your callsign, enter the freq you wish to use, and you are on the air. Compare that to doing anything with any other brand of digital radio off the grid. Want to do simplex on D-STar? How about DMR? ON the fly?

The new firmware that's coming out supports PDN. Basically plug your radio into a computer and you're networked. And, so is anyone else in range.

You can easily get on fusion for less than 200 dollars to start. Inexpensive radios, and a good repeater system. Too easy to get on board with it. I haven't found a good reason to not like it, especially when I can buy a digital radio for about the same price as an analog one, and be on the air with it in no time.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Confusion repeaters. Yeah, ok, but let's face it, when it comes to getting onto the digital modes, Yeasu by far has all the others beat. Think about the amount of programming necessary to get a Yeasu radio on air digital vs. the competition. add to that subjectively Yeasu also has the best quality signal. Oh, and it's not simply the repeaters that are cheap. C4FM radios are cheaper by comparison to the competition on a regular basis.

The Yaesu system is good, but when someone figures out how to make the Rfinder Android Radio at a better price it will be a whole new ball game. It needs only a GMS connection or wifi to read the Rfinder database for the operating area.

Right now the CS580 can scan and recognize all of the parameters in a Tier II DMR system. A single button push has you ready to use the frequency almost instantly, all at a price of $130. It is a decent unit and requires no software, cable, or computer to be useful when traveling.

mancow

Database Admin
Can these still be interfaced to MMDVMs? I thought I read that they somehow rendered that no longer possible.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I am unsure about a MMDVM directly. Yaesu found out about the conversion to DMR people were doing on their DR-1 repeaters, so any that Yaesu get back as a trade-in / trade-up for the DR-2X they do something to thwart that and then sell it as re-furbished. I sent in my application on Friday and it literally just arrived here at the office while typing this. I ordered the DR-1X. I'm not sure I would take advantage of the DR-2 features. If enough people are having fun and would use those features, I would purchase the DR-2.

prcguy

So on a Friday you sent in the Fusion Repeater purchase paperwork and by the following Tuesday you had the paperwork approved and repeater hardware in your hands including shipping time? Wow.

I sent my paperwork in Sunday via email so we will see if I get anything at all.

I am unsure about a MMDVM directly. Yaesu found out about the conversion to DMR people were doing on their DR-1 repeaters, so any that Yaesu get back as a trade-in / trade-up for the DR-2X they do something to thwart that and then sell it as re-furbished. I sent in my application on Friday and it literally just arrived here at the office while typing this. I ordered the DR-1X. I'm not sure I would take advantage of the DR-2 features. If enough people are having fun and would use those features, I would purchase the DR-2.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
One of the advantages of the DR-2 is the ability to remote control some key features without separate controller. Ours also has an ethernet card (additional $100) which can be used to link repeater sites. Have not tried it yet as we just got internet at the mountain site.

I am currently using an FTM-400XDR and an HRI-200 as a node radio at my home. I couldn't put it at the repeater without an internet connection and it is easier to maintain down here than up on the mountain.

An FTM-400 which is paired with the repeater allows remote control by using the 440 input (we use 2 meters for the repeater). Very convenient in case of a stuck mic or deliberate interference you can get control of the repeater even if the input is tried up. Only paired radios can be used so there is no danger of someone hijacking the repeater.

The node is open (for now) so that anyone can link to other rooms or to us. Time out timer disconnects if someone leaves a link open.

The power output limitations seem to be only on the 440 side. I've operated at full power on 2 meters for a couple of years with no issues.

prcguy

Got my notice today I can pick up a DR-2X at the factory. Whoo Hoo!

So on a Friday you sent in the Fusion Repeater purchase paperwork and by the following Tuesday you had the paperwork approved and repeater hardware in your hands including shipping time? Wow.

I sent my paperwork in Sunday via email so we will see if I get anything at all.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Got my notice today I can pick up a DR-2X at the factory. Whoo Hoo!
Yeah, it was pretty quick. Unfortunately, the touchscreen has some input issues and the repeater does not work RF wise when connected to an HRI-200 and wires-x. It has problems, so now I will see how quickly they reply and resolve the issue. I asked for a replacement versus waiting for them to fix this broken one.

And once again while I am writing this, the sales manager replied advising they will ship me a new one and to send the old one back upon receipt. How dare it take them less than 45 minutes to respond to my email! ;)
Still, if this next one has a problem, maybe I should order a new DR-2X instead.

Back to the speedy turnaround, I have a coordinated pair and a registered HRI-200, but I am not sure that made a difference in the turnaround on the application. Also, I am in California, so delivery via Ground service is next day.

Prcguy, do you have a coordinated pair? They did not ask about that on this application and I think it used to be on the old application.

prcguy

I'm in So Cal and the caretaker of a friends repeater on Mt Lukens. My application was for my friends coordinated pair and I included that with the forms. We have no Internet on the hill at this time so I didn't order any accys.

Yeah, it was pretty quick. Unfortunately, the touchscreen has some input issues and the repeater does not work RF wise when connected to an HRI-200 and wires-x. It has problems, so now I will see how quickly they reply and resolve the issue. I asked for a replacement versus waiting for them to fix this broken one.

And once again while I am writing this, the sales manager replied advising they will ship me a new one and to send the old one back upon receipt. How dare it take them less than 45 minutes to respond to my email!;)
Still, if this next one has a problem, maybe I should order a new DR-2X instead.

Back to the speedy turnaround, I have a coordinated pair and a registered HRI-200, but I am not sure that made a difference in the turnaround on the application. Also, I am in California, so delivery via Ground service is next day.

Prcguy, do you have a coordinated pair? They did not ask about that on this application and I think it used to be on the old application.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Understood. I am thinking that existing coordination helps to expedite the approval.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Replacement arrived today. It is working properly thus far as a repeater and on Wires-X. I'll put it through its paces tomorrow on a meter.

Pretty good service from Yaesu. Within a week of submitting my application, I received a unit and then a replacement for it.

prcguy

Mine is on air and burning in at my house. Found a PD-526 duplexer in the garage and it tuned up ok. I just need to get some friends to talk on it now.

Replacement arrived today. It is working properly thus far as a repeater and on Wires-X. I'll put it through its paces tomorrow on a meter.

Pretty good service from Yaesu. Within a week of submitting my application, I received a unit and then a replacement for it.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Mine is on air and burning in at my house. Found a PD-526 duplexer in the garage and it tuned up ok. I just need to get some friends to talk on it now.
I connected mine up to America-Link for some burn in. Also, the TX wattage numbers look fine, so it looks like this one is a winner.

That Motorola duplexer module looks pretty good. I am using a small mobile duplexer from China at the moment and looking for something better. The mobile duplexer will handle 50W, but using the Yaesu repeater on UHF I am limited to the 20W output anyways. If I want to add a TX and or RX amplifier I will need proper Bp/Br cans.

Last edited:

prcguy

My duplexer at the moment is an RFS/Celwave rated min 120dB isolation, 1.3dB loss and 250W power. I can't seem to find anything better.

Its raining here today and the wifee and I went out for a walk in it. On the way out the door she grabbed a hat that happens to be a Yaesu Fusion ball cap I got at the Dayton Hamstervention. She must be reading my posts.

I connected mine up to America-Link for some burn in. Also, the TX wattage numbers look fine, so it looks like this one is a winner.

That Motorola duplexer module looks pretty good. I am using a small mobile duplexer from China at the moment and looking for something better. The mobile duplexer will handle 50W, but using the Yaesu repeater on UHF I am limited to the 20W output anyways. If I want to add a TX and or RX amplifier I will need proper Bp/Br cans.

prcguy

And another thing, I had the lid off my DR-2X and was disappointed to find cheap looking RG-58 jumpers between the radio chassis and back panel. I'll be swapping those out for RG-142 and silver plated crimp connectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.