Yaesu VR-500 - Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImTheWeasel

Hello Everyone,

I have some questions about the VR-500 from Yaesu.

In your opinions, is this receiver a good buy. I already have a handheld for trunking and my town is only conventional as well as surrounding small towns.

However, id like to have a receiver that will do SSB.

I have previously considered the Alinco DJ-X7T but changed my mind on it due to (poor battery life & audio).

The Yaesu VR120-D (Lacks NFM which according to what ive read is required for most general listening?)

and finally the ICOM R5 - Which ive heard good things and bad things, and then the fact it is listed as no support for NFM.

So i ask you, in light of all the other radios would spending $300 on the VR500 be worth it or should i just get the BR330T?

Thanks.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
Hi, I owned one for a brief period and never really put a whole lot of time in with it. I liked things about it, the size for one. I did buy the software to program in and that helped.

What I did not like about it was no lock out for individual channels and the audio is quite low due to it's size. It had good quality sound not a lot of power on the output. Reception on AIR band was quite good, conventional FM freqs also good.

At times I wished I had put more effort into learning the receiver but an opportunity to upgrade to an Icom R-20 came my way and the person looking to get out of the R-20 wanted a VR-500- a win win!

Hope this helps in your decision making process.

N3HCP

Premium Subscriber
I've had one for 3 years or so and wouldn't part with it. It's one of many scanners I use, and it serves the purpose very well when a small, unobtrusive radio is called for. Yes, the programming is i bit awkward, but programming software solves that problem. Locking and unlocking banks is a 5 or 6 step process but not that big a deal. Locking out individual channels is, however a bit much.

I have solved many of the "problems" by preparing a number of computer files with scanner set-ups for different areas and/or situations and just loading the appropriate file before going into the field.

It's not, and never will be, my primary scanner, but for it's specific niche, it can't be beat.

wa8vzq

I've owned one since late 2000. It is a great radio. I have written a rather extensive technical review that I'd be happy to send anyone who wants a copy. Email direct to wa8vzq@yahoo.com

Dan
Apple Valley, MN

Status
Not open for further replies.