Yaesu VX-7R

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Hello All!
I'm just wondering, did Yaesu ever fix the overheating problem on the VX-7R? You know , where it gets internaly warm and the audio gets distorted causing you to have to pop the battery out ,wait a second then put it back on to clear the problem? Anyone know?

Manny

prcguy

I bought one when they first came out and don't see any overheating problem unless you transmit continuously for minutes at a time. The radio is sealed to keep it waterproof and if the temp rises or you rapidly change in altitude internal pressure forces the speaker against the grill distorting the audio. There is no fix unless you compromise the water seal. I have military radios that have a water proof pressure valve (Gore-Tex membrane) that takes care of this problem but it would add many $$ to the price of the radio.
prcguy
scanernutt said:
Hello All!
I'm just wondering, did Yaesu ever fix the overheating problem on the VX-7R? You know , where it gets internaly warm and the audio gets distorted causing you to have to pop the battery out ,wait a second then put it back on to clear the problem? Anyone know?

Manny

mancow

Database Admin
Yes, I believe they fixed it.

I had one of the very first silver ones and it would get distorted with any change in temperature. My new black model never does it.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Well!
The one I had was black! It did do that and I used it for special events, drills ect, where you do talk a lot! My FT-60 goes for hours no problem. Just gets a little warm thats all. Hmmm, I wonder!

Manny

BigJimbo

Premium Subscriber
I've had my VX-7R since the Dayton Hamvention last year. I talk to a fellow Ham on Simplex in the evenings and it does heat up! I've never heard any distorted audio when this has happened, so at least as far as mine goes, it's ok.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Thats is about the last time I had mine, right around that time. Well, I may look into investing in one again!

Thanks!

Manny

Status
Not open for further replies.