Yagi 360 in azimuth

kh2

Premium Subscriber
OK - not afraid to show my ignorance but my brain won't let this go. looking from above - down on an array of Yagi's - 1 each pointed N,S,E,W for a total of 4 Yagi's. all feeds brought back to one point. my fantasy says it would radiate and receive 360 deg. in azimuth. I can't be the only person that thought of this but since I do not find much I ass-u-me it's not viable.

Any thoughts?

prcguy

If each Yagi had an exact 45deg half power beamwidth then you would have an omni pattern shaped like a clover leaf with four peaks and four nulls that vary maybe 6dB between peaks and nulls. Your total gain would also be cut by about 6dB by splitting to four Yagi's pointed different directions. So if each Yagi is 10dBd gain you would have an omni'ish pattern with four gain lobes at around 4dBd gain in line with each Yagi then four nulls between each pair of Yagi's that would be around -2dBd gain each.

Lower gain Yagi's that have a 90deg half power beamwidth would have less gain and nulls between them, closer to 3dB but the overall gain would be much lower giving maybe 0dB gain in line and -3dBd gain in between for the same four Yagis pointed at N, S, E and W. Its the 6dB hit in gain by splitting to four antennas that are the main problem then the narrow beamwidth of high gain Yagi's causing big nulls in between each Yagi spaced 90deg apart.

Compare that mess to a single 10dBd gain vertical omni which would have 10dBd gain equally in all directions. Kinda makes the Yagi experiment not worth it.

Last edited:

kh2

Premium Subscriber
go ahead - burst my bubble... I appreciate the info and what you laid out now makes sense and I will be able to sleep at night. ;-)

Thanks -

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
There are plenty of big setups with fixed yagis in multiple directions. You still just use one at a time. Many of those will even have a secondary omnidirectional receive antenna.

kh2

Premium Subscriber
I assume a Yagi on a rotator is a possibility as well? Thanks - further input is good.