Years After Sept. 11, Critical Incidents Still Overload Emergency Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

jparks29

John McClane
. Officer leaving the mic on the hook and just pressing the PTT button. Users keying up the radio but not removing it from their belt and sort of yelling in the general direction of their radio.

Stupid user tricks.

I increase mic gain..

Stupid tech tricks. :p

Amazing what modern DSP can do.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I increase mic gain..

Stupid tech tricks. :p

Amazing what modern DSP can do.

Only works if they continue doing that. I know a dispatcher who uses her desk mic one or two ways, with her mouth 3 feet away or her lips touching the windscreen. AGC can only handle so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jparks29

John McClane
Only works if they continue doing that. I know a dispatcher who uses her desk mic one or two ways, with her mouth 3 feet away or her lips touching the windscreen. AGC can only handle so much.

Yeah.

Try setting up UC cars with hidden visor mics and floor switch PTT....and the mic gain settings to go along with it....

Works great for surveillance....

Not so much when Officer Yelly McYellerFace is in a pursuit and insists on screaming at the top of his lungs what streets he's taking because he doesn't have a second unit to call the pursuit yet.

Ugh.

lu81fitter

Quote from jparks29 ---> "Umm....

Take a wild guess what happens when you have a scanner with a wide bandwidth listening to a narrowband transmission?" <end quote>

This is only noted from certain users on the system.

Quote from Mmckenna ---> "Not an issue if everyone is running narrow band.

But, yes, poor mic etiquette has always been an issue. Dispatchers leaning too far back in the chair. Officer leaving the mic on the hook and just pressing the PTT button. Users keying up the radio but not removing it from their belt and sort of yelling in the general direction of their radio.

Stupid user tricks." <end quote>

I agree 100% !!

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
And can we get back on topic please as this is not about you not having your scanner set right for NFM, or Ole Yeller barking down the block or right in a mic. It is about system overloads that can hamper critical communications in vital situations. Whether that is from too many things patched in, or group calls alerts incorrectly used, or as is the case in many instances, poor training all around as to correct procedures to follow in an mass event.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
But, yes, poor mic etiquette has always been an issue. Dispatchers leaning too far back in the chair. Officer leaving the mic on the hook and just pressing the PTT button. Users keying up the radio but not removing it from their belt and sort of yelling in the general direction of their radio.

Narrowband has not made these issues worse though.

Status
Not open for further replies.