yeasu FT 2900R tx range modification

Status
Not open for further replies.

joehawth

KB1RRG
Hi all,

So I was browsing the internet and learned of a really simple modification to the yeasu ft2900r mobile 2m transceiver. The radio comes stock with the abilty to receive from 136-174 MHz but will only transmit on the 2m ham band. Performing this mod, according to what I read, unlocks it for tx on I believe the entire rx range.. I was wondering if anyone on here ever heard of or performed this mod.. and yes I have legal reasons to do so..

Yaesu ft-2900r frequency modification mars mod

thanks

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1047 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

What legal reasons? The radio does not properly do narrowband. Nor does it do 2.5KHz or 7.5KHz steps. Pretty useless to use for LMR. Besides take a look at how fast power, drops off outside the ham band, and the current draw stays the same... Guess what's happening? Lots of heat.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hi all,

So I was browsing the internet and learned of a really simple modification to the yeasu ft2900r mobile 2m transceiver. The radio comes stock with the abilty to receive from 136-174 MHz but will only transmit on the 2m ham band. Performing this mod, according to what I read, unlocks it for tx on I believe the entire rx range.. I was wondering if anyone on here ever heard of or performed this mod.. and yes I have legal reasons to do so..

thanks

I know it's tempting. So easy to go in and clip a wire, solder a pad or remove a resistor. But you really need to look at a couple of things before deciding to do this.

The license for your volunteer fire company is held by the department, the city, the county, or some such official government agency, not you. That license dictates a number of things, including how many mobile/portable transmitters can be used, where they can be used, and who can use them. Which ever agency holds the license is the only one that can authorize adding transmitters. Just as someone without an amateur license cannot legally start using an amateur radio, you cannot just start using public safety frequencies without your own license, or the permission of the agency that holds the one you want to work under.
Modifying an amateur radio has some legal ramifications, not only for you, but the agency that holds the license. Popping up on their frequency with a non-type accepted radio can jeopardize your departments license. That won't look good, and Mr. Chief, Captain, or whoever might not take kindly to it. These sorts of things can be career shorteners. Not to mention it would jeopardize your own amateur radio license.

The correct way to do this is to first get permission from the license holder. This needs to be in writing, according to the FCC, not just verbal. Second, get a properly type accepted radio. There are some inexpensive Chinese brand mobiles and portables out there that can be had pretty cheap, plus they can do the amateur bands.

I don't really see a point in jeopardizing your job with the fire company, your ham license, and your reputation just to save a few bucks. It's certainly your choice, none of us can tell you what to do. But seriously, why risk all that?

Do the modifications work, well, sort of. The radios have filtering in them to reduce spurious emissions, harmonics, etc. Transmitting outside the designed frequencies can cause issues. First, as was noted above, heat. Second, the filtering isn't designed for where you would be transmitting, so interfering with other public safety radios is a possibility. Third, the lack of narrow deviation will make your transmitted audio sound like utter and total crap to the rest of the radios.

joehawth

KB1RRG
thanks mmckenna and w9bu. looks like it'd be a bad idea to use the ham, so I wont do the mod. would have been nice to have one less radio though!

thanks all!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
thanks mmckenna and w9bu. looks like it'd be a bad idea to use the ham, so I wont do the mod. would have been nice to have one less radio though!

thanks all!

Sure, I understand that. I have an amateur license too, as well as running a number of radio systems for work. Having everything you need in one radio is the way to go, however doing it with a non type accepted radio isn't it.
Long ago I got rid of all my amateur radios and replaced them with commercial gear. You can legally use commercial radio gear for amateur radio, and its the right stuff for public safety.
A lot of amateurs will bemoan the lack of a VFO, and I can understand that, but most modern LMR radios have a lot of memories. I had no issues what so ever putting in a bunch of amateur repeaters, all the 2 meter simplex frequencies and all my work LMR stuff, with room to spare. Programming can be an issue, but since I do this stuff I work, I'm fortunate enough to have all the correct programming gear.
The big bonus is that many of the commercial LMR radios run circles around the amateur gear. The sound is better, they are more durable and they can be set up to be a heck of a lot easier to use.

The Chinese brands have a few mobile radios, including Part 90 accepted dual band (VHF and UHF) radios and they are relatively cheap. Programming software is cheap or even free. The other option is to get used commercial gear. Motorola CDM1250's or 1550's are going for $200 to $300 on e-Bay and make excellent radios. Kenwood is a great option, as well as several others.

Of course the radio is only part of the equation, you do need to get something in writing from the City of Prospect (I looked up the license for your fire department) and get their permission to set up a radio on their system. That can actually be pretty easy if you know who to ask. Your chief would be a really good place to start.

Good luck!

TheSpaceMan

What good is a modification that you can't legally use? I understand that many ham transceivers can be easily modified to cover the entire spectrum including 11 meters. Many "CBers" are actually now buying Icom 718s, and easily converting them into CB and Freeband transceivers!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
What good is a modification that you can't legally use? I understand that many ham transceivers can be easily modified to cover the entire spectrum including 11 meters. Many "CBers" are actually now buying Icom 718s, and easily converting them into CB and Freeband transceivers!

It's the old saying "It's only illegal if you get caught". Same reason why most people I see on the roads around these parts only slow down enough at the stop signs to see if there is a police car watching, then floor it. People around here, for the most part, only stop at stop signs if there is a cop watching. And we wonder why our kids are so screwed up.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
And where does the lack of mentality come from saying it is "illegal only if you get caught"? No, it is illegal, period. We don't need more illegal "mods" forums. Wonder why so many services are going to 700/800 MHz digital/encryption?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Folks, we're done. The legal question about modding radios has been more than adequately addressed elsewhere. Since the OP's technical question about modding this radio is not being addressed, this thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.