YELLOWSTONE NP ,,, aprs in the area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
What I do when I want to know how well-covered an area is, is I look at it on aprs.fi, and open the timeline back as far as it'll go (24 hours).

Google Maps APRS

The above is a link roughly centered on Yellowstone Park for the past 24 hours. It looks like either nobody's traveled the roads inside the park in the last day, or there is no coverage there. Since no lines cross the park, I'd say it's just that nobody has been there.

You could make the history even longer by going into the address bar and editing the 3600 to a larger value.

Understanding aprs iGATE and digipeaters

Let me understand this, a iGATE does not connect to any internet server and only rebroadcast the transmitting up to three times to the digipeaters and IGATE are only used to extend the coverage. Question are all IGATE on 144.39 QSO simplex? so no matter what I can get a cheep radio set on 144.39 Mhz and have no problem? I was thinking a regency HH4B or something along that line. Question 2 how come you don’t see IGATE using directional antennas pointing to the digipeaters for rebroadcast. Since there are so many DirecTV dishes bandit this would be easy to do?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Let me understand this, a iGATE does not connect to any internet server and only rebroadcast the transmitting up to three times to the digipeaters and IGATE are only used to extend the coverage.
The purpose of an I-gate is to listen to the local APRS frequency and inject the APRS beacons it hears into the APRS-IS server system. I-gates do not digipeat unless they are also set up as a digipeater.

Question are all IGATE on 144.39 QSO simplex?
Since most APRS activity in the US is on 144.390 MHz, most I-gates listen on that frequency. Also, most APRS activity in the US is simplex.

so no matter what I can get a cheep radio set on 144.39 Mhz and have no problem?
Have no problem doing what? If your intent is to set up an I-gate, all you need is a radio that can receive on the local APRS frequency.

I was thinking a regency HH4B or something along that line.
I'm not familiar with that radio. As long it will tune to the local APRS frequency in FM mode and there's a way to get the receive audio from the radio to the TNC, it should work.

Question 2 how come you don’t see IGATE using directional antennas pointing to the digipeaters for rebroadcast.
I-gates don't rebroadcast anything over RF. A reverse I-gate watches the APRS-IS datastream for particular types of APRS traffic that should be transmitted locally over RF, such as APRS messages sent to stations that are near the I-gate.

Since there are so many DirecTV dishes bandit this would be easy to do?
DirecTV dishes are tuned for microwave band signals coming from satellites. Those frequencies are far removed from the 2m amateur radio band.

Status
Not open for further replies.