You Asked I Post: Build Your Media Center for all Tvs & Computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE0SKN

KE0SKN - Member
Premium Subscriber
=== ** FIRST YOU NEED A SERVER ** ===
1. You need to get your hands on a dual core 64Bit processor computer With min. 2 Gigs of ram.
2. Download Ubuntu Server operating system from The leading OS for PC, tablet, phone and cloud | Ubuntu & Burn the ISO to a DVD
3. Install the OS and when prompt in packages also install Open SSH them click ok.
4. After install run this command "sudo apt-get update" When completed run " sudo apt-get upgrade"
5. Now you need to make folders for your Media to be stored in. The command for that is:
$: "mkdir Movies" "mkdir Videos" mkdir Music" "mkdir Pics" "mkdir Tv" " mkdir Downloads"
6. You need to give shared permission to the folders. Command is:
$: sudo chown 777 Movies | sudo chmod 777 Movies
$: sudo chown 777 Videos | sudo chmod 777 Videos
$: sudo chown 777 Music | sudo chmod 777 Music
$: sudo chown 777 Pics | sudo chmod 777 Pics
$: sudo chown 777 Tv | sudo chmod 777 Tv
$ sudo chown 777 Downloads | sudo chmod 777 Downloads
6. Your done with the server, Put it up some were cool and dry and Safe.

=== ** YOUR LAPTOP or DESKTOP SOFTWARE ** ===
1. From your Windows or Linux computer you will need to install Filezilla & Putty SSH & PLex
$: Putty: Download PuTTY - a free SSH and telnet client for Windows - Filezilla: www.filezilla-project.org - PLex: https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-medi...xmediaserver_0.9.12.13.1464-4ccd2ca_amd64.deb
Plex app: http://bit.ly/ihqmEu

=== ** Setting up PLEX ** ===
01. Open up your browser and login to your router and find your server IP address. Write it down.
02. open Putty
03. in Host type your server IP address and click open
04. Login
05. Type: cd Downloads
06. Type sudo dpkg -i plexmediaserver_{version#}_amd64.deb
07. Type sudo apt-get install -f
08. Type sudo reboot now and then wait 1 min.
09. Open Filezilla and click site manager. Host: (put the IP you wrote here) Port: 22, protocall: sftp
Logon type: Normal, User name: What you put, Password: what you put, click ok.
10. click on site manager and click connect:
11. on the right side column find your Download Folder
12. On the left side column fined Downloads /Home/"user name"/Downloads
13. On the right side bottom drag plexmediaserver to the left side bottom box and wait for it to upload
14. On the left side fined the plex plug-ins folder /var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins
15. On the right side drage "unsuportedappstore.zip" into Plug-ins folder, then right click to unzip it in its folder.
16 You will use this program to upload you movies and music to the server in its proper folder.
17. open Putty again
18. type: sudo chown 777 /var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins
19. Type: sudo chmod 777 /var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins
20. type: exit

=== ** Lets Get Streaming ** ===
01. open browser and got to http://{server ip}:32400/web
02. start installing your channels and your movie. Buy a Roku and sownload the plex app for all your tvs and you can cut the cable bill.

If I missed a step [ Sorry I'm Human ] let every one know

Attachments

• 20151018_132227.jpg
    20151018_132227.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 268

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Looks like complete directions, to me.

A link to the Plex website, for info about what the program does, could be useful.

Sent via Tapatalk

KE0SKN

KE0SKN - Member
Premium Subscriber
the website to plex is https://plex.tv

The build for a dedicated media server look complicated. But I did most of the work for you. mostly cut and past. but worth it at the end. you can install a windows base but it slows the computer to a snail past. and you still need to do some of the install manually like linux does. so setting up a media server is better, and faster network response. Have roku on your tvs and its web base too for computer and tablets. So tv all around. if you install a 2 tv tuner you got local tv too.

it's worth it to have these channels

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-10-19_12-55-46.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-10-19_12-55-46.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.