• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

You can't make this stuff up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Check out this email that I received today. Identifying details left out to protect identity of this person... however it appears that someone doesn't understand how the internet works.

To whom it may concern,
It has come to my attention that you have a hotlink on your website that
links to our website home page. This link is located on your webpage:
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=xxxx
at the bottom of the page.
No one from your company has requested permission to hotlink to our
website as I am the only person responsible for our site and I have
received no such request. I respectfully request that this hotlink be
removed and no further tags be made to our site without written permission
from myself.
If you have any questions about this matter, you can reach me directly by
telephone.
Thank you
XXXXX, General Manager
XXXXX Communications
###-###-2300 ext ###
LOL!

tampabaynews

Premium Subscriber
Does this "general manager" (obviously not a webmaster) intend on pursuing a copyright claim for a link to their home page? Normally people would love to have their websites linked from larger ones. I would educate him/her on what a hotlink is and tell them where to stuff it.

Thanks for sharing! :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.