YouTube Fire Dispatch Archive/Live Feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZestyLabs

Premium Subscriber
I've been working on hodge podging together a Fire Dispatch feed on YouTube. I currently have it working when pages are received they are uploaded to the YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW29Abf7Ck8t_c7OVKDPu6Q and within 30 seconds of the page finishing they are typically available to the public. YouTube then sends the video upload notification to a twitter account http://twitter.com/kalamazoofire

I've also now added a live feed to the YouTube account. The video of the live feed includes a timestamp so that when one is listening they know how much of a delay there is.

I was wondering if anyone had any feedbacks for improvements on this. If you look at the twitter followers (now over 200) the Media seems to be enjoying this quite a bit.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I never thought of using YT for a feed.

Is it all dispatches only? You may want to include a fireground channel if possible so listeners can hear what happens "after-the-dispatch".

I have a twitter and FB page for my RR feed and have picked up a lot of media and PS followers/listeners. I know there is a way to embed the feed in the FB page but it is beyond my level of technical expertise. I just provide a link.

Last edited:

ZestyLabs

Premium Subscriber
I never thought of using YT for a feed.

Is it all dispatches only? You may want to include a fireground channel if possible so listeners can hear what happens "after-the-dispatch".

I have a twitter and FB page for my RR feed and have picked up a lot of media and PS followers/listeners. I know there is a way to embed the feed in the FB page but it is beyond my level of technical expertise. I just provide a link.

Kalamazoo doesn't use a fire ground channel. They keep their fire ground activity on the dispatch channel of the trunked system... if there happens to be a rescue or other incident during this time those are moved to Tac Channels.

Yea, its weird I know.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Kalamazoo doesn't use a fire ground channel. They keep their fire ground activity on the dispatch channel of the trunked system... if there happens to be a rescue or other incident during this time those are moved to Tac Channels.

Yea, its weird I know.
That doesn't sound very safe. If there was an emergency on the FG like a FF down it could be covered by dispatch traffic. Even 40 years ago when I was a volunteer on a small dept. we had a separate FG channel.

ZestyLabs

Premium Subscriber
That doesn't sound very safe. If there was an emergency on the FG like a FF down it could be covered by dispatch traffic. Even 40 years ago when I was a volunteer on a small dept. we had a separate FG channel.

I agree its not safe... but actually field units override the dispatch consoles on the talkgroup. But the bigger issue has been bonking radios on the fireground.

cvfd625

I'm interested in knowing more about how you do this. I run a Broadcastify feed in Bakersfield, CA.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ZestyLabs

Premium Subscriber
I'm interested in knowing more about how you do this. I run a Broadcastify feed in Bakersfield, CA.

I choose to use YouTube because I think it is a lot more accessible than Broadcastify to the general public, plus I disagree with some of the business practices that RadioReference/Broadcastify partake in and I don't want to enable them to profit from another feed given to them for free without the feed generator getting diddly.

I plan on making the code available to the public once I work out the bugs for free. Its actually very easily done.

cvfd625

I choose to use YouTube because I think it is a lot more accessible than Broadcastify to the general public, plus I disagree with some of the business practices that RadioReference/Broadcastify partake in and I don't want to enable them to profit from another feed given to them for free without the feed generator getting diddly.

I plan on making the code available to the public once I work out the bugs for free. Its actually very easily done.
Awesome. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.