• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Zetron 4010 -> Zetron 250 -> Motorola CDM1250

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCFD_Alarm

So I'm currently in the midst of trying to put a radio system into operation for a local ems organization (everythings been done with donations and such). I had found the zetron 4010 to cdm1250 hookups in another thread on this site. The only issue that I found was I was getting a tone in the 1875hz range. I asked a friend and they said I'd need to get a tone remote adapter. 25$ on ebay got me a new zetron 250. I'm now having the issue of trying to put the whole thing together. I apologize if something like this thread already exists but I didn't find it when searched. Anyone with any help for me....PLEASE!!!! Any guidance is accepted!

12dbsinad

So what exactly are you trying to do here? I see you have a tone remote adapter and a CDM. Are you trying to wire it as a tone remote base station? Is it going to be connected to a console? Remotes? Some more info is needed.

RCFD_Alarm

So I'm trying to setup the Zetron 4010 for tone out / multi-radio usage instead of having 5 different base radios and mics clutter the desk. My problem lies in that when I used the wiring diagram and tried transmitting from the console, the RX on all the other radios would end up with a tone coming over it in the 1800hz range. So you could talk but thered be this underlying tone coming over as well. One of the other radio guys I work with suggested that I'd need a tone adapter / eliminator, so I got one (or thought i did).

But I'm starting to think it may just be something in the programming of the 4010 or the cdm that I need to adjust. But if it's not how to I hook the 4010 into the 250 for it to transmit over the 1250. Any thoughts? ...does that help?

RCFD_Alarm

maybe a better question is do i need to place the wires from the 4010 PTT goes onto one of the I/O on the 250 and then place the 4010 TX+ and TX- into the RJ-11 pins 3/4 ?

kb4mdz

Wow, so much.

Your mention of an 1875 Hz tone is weirdly specific; 1950 Hz is standard F1 function tone; how are you measuring this tone, for freq. & level?

And FWIW, if the radio is close enough (I'll look up the distance later this evening) to the 4010, you could just go local control from the 4010 to the radio; RX Audio & COS/COR from the radio to the 4010, & TX Audio & PTT from the 4010 out to the radio. And Ground return.

I'll check in later.

RCFD_Alarm

Wow, so much.

Your mention of an 1875 Hz tone is weirdly specific; 1950 Hz is standard F1 function tone; how are you measuring this tone, for freq. & level?

And FWIW, if the radio is close enough (I'll look up the distance later this evening) to the 4010, you could just go local control from the 4010 to the radio; RX Audio & COS/COR from the radio to the 4010, & TX Audio & PTT from the 4010 out to the radio. And Ground return.

I'll check in later.

It's honestly just guess work on the tone to be honest. It probably is the 1950Hz tone as you're describing. I compared the tone I was getting with an online tone generator (low budget over here lol).

And I had been following another zetron thread and used the attached charts to go from the console to radio. Would going to Local Control get rid of this bloody tone? lol. It is seriously the bane of my existence.

Thank you for the assist! I greatly appreciate it!!!!

Attachments

• 4010 66 block pinout.PNG
    4010 66 block pinout.PNG
    143 KB · Views: 54
  • zetron-cdm.jpg
    zetron-cdm.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 57
  • CDM series Accessory pinout.gif
    CDM series Accessory pinout.gif
    19.7 KB · Views: 48

12dbsinad

Something doesn't sound like it's configured correctly. As you know, you're hearing the key down tone. That is supposed to be filtered out.

Are you hearing the tone with the 250 hooked up, or do you have the console wired directly to the radio? FWIW, if you're doing a short hop to the radio, I'd look at local control. The pluses here are A) It's much faster and B) if you deal with any type of paging tones, tone control can really screw up the tones depending on tone frequency. It will also eliminate the extra baggage hooked to the radio.

RCFD_Alarm

Alright ... I know the suspense has been driving you crazy. I figured it finally .. after a few hours of trial and error, the pin out to remove the F1 tone is as follows:

From Zetron 4010:
PTT (-), Analog Ground, RX (-) = All Grouped together and run to the Ground pin on the CDM (pin 7)
PTT (+) = NOT USED
Rx (+) = Run to Rx Audio on CDM (pin 11)

Lastly, and the fun part:
Tx (-) goes to Zetron 250 RJ-11 pin 3
Tx (+) goes to Zetron 250 RJ-11 pin 4

From Zetron 250:
PTT (+) goes to CDM pin 3
Tx (+) goes to CDM pin 2
Ground and 12v DC go to your power supply.

Dip Switches on Zetron 250 #4 and #9 need to be in the UP position for you to use the Paging functions.
All other switches are down.

I hope this helps anyone else with similar projects and thank you to all who responded.
-the newb

12dbsinad

Thank you for posting your findings and am glad you got it working. Sorry I couldn't be more help on configuration. All of my application notes are at the shop and it's been several years since I've played around with 250 tone adapters and CDM's.

RCFD_Alarm

Thank you for posting your findings and am glad you got it working. Sorry I couldn't be more help on configuration. All of my application notes are at the shop and it's been several years since I've played around with 250 tone adapters and CDM's.
no worries and I get it. Slightly outdated, yet still very useful tech. Thanks for the responses tho. Glad to know the info is still out there in the ether as it were lol

kb4mdz

OK, I'm having trouble digging out my electronic version (if there is one) of the 4010 documentation; and my brain isn't functioning.

Right now it looks to me like you're doing both Tone Control, using the Zetron 250, and local control, by way of connecting from the console output (but not the telephone line) from your first description of Zetron 4010 to CDM pins. But you're still going into the 250 adapter via its RJ-11.

I can't find any spec. for how far local control can work before you want to go either DC or Tone control;

But, as you say it's working. Checking with a service monitor will be a good thing, so you know you're not over- or under-driving the audio and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.