• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Zetron 4010R service manual

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrowzee

Im looking for the service manual for the Zetron 4010 console. I looked everywhere and cant seem to find it. I did however find the programming and operation manual if anyone is need of those. Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Many thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PACNWDude

The service manual was an item that was not on the price list for Zetron. It was rumored to be available, but was more for internal use.

The 4010 went through a few changes over the years. Older ones needed DOS to program, newer ones Windows XP.

As of 2016, zetron went to a flat rate repair on this console, which I heard was reasonable price wise. Keytops and keys can still be bought, but not the underlaying "poppets", which require "flat rate repair" for replacement.

I was able to fix a few of these in the past, but as of last year, sold the last one. So all manuals went with it.

wrowzee

Thanks for the info. It shows the part number for the service manual as 025-9228, but everywhere I checked showed it as not available. Could be the reason why I couldnt find anywhere to download it . I figured they would discontinue parts for these consoles when everything went pc based. The main thing im looking for now is the cps for the unit and the install manual pn 025-9227, mainly for the punchdown block diagrams. Im also not sure if it uses a different version cps then the M4010 does, its almost identical except for it being a rack mounted 4010R. I really like these consoles alot better then the newer pc based Zetron Max And Acom stuff, I guess its the look and feel of it is why I like it so much more. There is just something about getting that click feedback when you push a button and having actual indicator lights. Dont get me wrong, the newer pc based console are nice and all, just partial to the old dispatch console look. We have also had really good luck with these consoles and they seem to have held up amazingly well. The only thing I have had to do is replace a line card in one of the consoles after we had a bad thunderstorm, other then that the only time I had one open is to blow the dust out.

PACNWDude

Punchdown 4010's

Here is a screen shot I had for the 4010 punchdowns. We no longer have Zetron gear, so the manuals went with them. Local ham radio shop took them as electronic scrap.

This is from the 025-9227 manual you mentioned though. I do think the rack and desk version of 4010 used the same CPS. But it depended on when they were made whether it was DOS or Windows XP based.

So if your consoles are different age wise you may need both versions of CPS. I once lost my software and cable, Zetron sold me a kit for something like $160-165? Don't recall how much for sure, but it was less than $200 for the cable and a disk with software.

The MAX systems do seem like junk, we went Telex as a result instead. There were issues with the demo radio system not being able to send MDC1200, and patching problems. Then it was compatible with Motorola XTL5000 mobiles but only with the "O-5" control head. Well we still used "W" series control heads. They may have changed this now that APX radios are out. They are part of Kenwood, and we did not want Kenwood radios. Their sales manager attempted the hard sale, we decided to go Telex.

The phone system was a joke. Mini ITX computers for phone servers, and third party gateways for everything. We just use Cisco gear and run Call Manager. Works great.

Good luck on your 4010. Call Zetron and see if they still sell a programming kit.

Attachments

• 4010 punchdowns - Copy.jpg
    4010 punchdowns - Copy.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,329

wrowzee

8 Vox ports? Your probably thinking of the channel cards. If your just hooking scanners up then it should be fairly easy. If its set up for two wire tone control then all you have to do is run audio from the scanner to the punchdown block, or if its set for four wire then just run audio from the scanner to the rx+ and rx- on the punchdown block. Should be pretty straight forward since your only using it as recieve only, with that you dont have to even mess with tone termination panels or wiring up the ptt and tx out for local control. Bout the only thing that may take some time is setting the scanner volume and line levels so the recieve audio isnt too low or so high its distorted.

12dbsinad

There is just something about getting that click feedback when you push a button and having actual indicator lights. Dont get me wrong, the newer pc based console are nice and all, just partial to the old dispatch console look.

We have many IntergratorRD PC based consoles out there with agencies who insisted on some button panels to be installed along with the touch screen for this exact reason you describe.

wrowzee

I get what your talking about now. Wow, I didnt realize these consoles went back that far. They didnt start showing up around where I live and work until about 2001-2002. The console we have is from 2001 and other then a few channel card replacements, the console works just as good as the day we had it installed.

FP761

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know the manufacturer of the Zetron 4010 channel control push buttons?

I have acquired a used console that is missing many of the actuators and membrane inserts. Hoping to identify the Make/Model of the switches to obtain parts direct.

FP761

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the information. I have since learned that the used console that I purchased for Amateur Radio integration will require a $400 Firmware upgrade in addition to the programming software!

For anyone considering to purchase a used console, be aware that it may have a version of firmware that is no longer compatible with currently available programming software.

Therefore, your investment may be much greater than you realize!

Status
Not open for further replies.