RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Antennas and Associated Hardware > Tower Talk

Tower Talk - For discussion of all hardware for erecting antennas and other structures in to the sky.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2018, 11:45 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Question This just popped up - What is it?

Verizon 5G Internet service?

https://imgur.com/a/Rg8rPk6
Sponsored links
Old 05-03-2018, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sac916 View Post

That wouldn't be my first guess.

Utility smart meter reader?
Old 05-03-2018, 2:26 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

smart meter hub
Old 05-28-2018, 12:58 PM

5G is usually 24ghz and higher and directional arrays.
That looks like 2.4ghz omnis used in a mesh network.
May just be use for traffic cameras and signals network
Old 07-16-2018, 2:22 PM

5G is the next generation of "cellular services" most of the larger carriers are at 4G at this time. 5G will offer much improved data speeds for improved performance for your handheld wireless devices.
Old 07-16-2018, 3:27 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

That for sure is not cellular. Look where its located. Its on a city street light.
Its probably not for smart meters either, those would be located on utility poles and the ones i have seen dont need antennas as it all runs off their power lines.

Motex is probably right. Mesh or perhaps a city owned network for cameras or computer terminals in vehicles.
Old 07-16-2018, 4:24 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default seems to be...

a smaller version of kronos...
http://www.roger-russell.com/sffun/kronos.htm
sometimes we need a little humor, scroll down to see the model of it.
Old 07-16-2018, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sac916 View Post

Per the gathering of minds in Austin back in May...5G has really only been tested in PtP applications and at that point in time, was still at least a year (if not more) from being tested/deployed in a PtMP type environment.
Old 07-16-2018, 6:34 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

It's a little difficult to tell without knowing what type of neighborhood it is in. Is it an inner city? Rural planned development? Average suburb?

The smart meters here are being read through the same wires that carry the electric to the house, and I am considered very rural. They can read it, reset it, and turn it off or on. I doubt what you are looking at is a smart meter reading relay device, technology has advanced beyond needing anything like that.

I do have a theory or two based on some talks with a couple linemen and cable TV installers. Amazingly nobody seems to ever see them being installed, yet there they are one afternoon when you come home, but I digress.

As far as what that particular one is will depend on it's neighborhood and surrounding area.
Old 07-16-2018, 6:58 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1 View Post
It's a little difficult to tell without knowing what type of neighborhood it is in. Is it an inner city? Rural planned development? Average suburb?

The smart meters here are being read through the same wires that carry the electric to the house, and I am considered very rural. They can read it, reset it, and turn it off or on. I doubt what you are looking at is a smart meter reading relay device, technology has advanced beyond needing anything like that.

I do have a theory or two based on some talks with a couple linemen and cable TV installers. Amazingly nobody seems to ever see them being installed, yet there they are one afternoon when you come home, but I digress.

As far as what that particular one is will depend on it's neighborhood and surrounding area.
Funny you say it has advanced beyond that point because it looks exactly like what we are installing here for smart meters.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2018, 9:17 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by JameyNotNormal View Post
Funny you say it has advanced beyond that point because it looks exactly like what we are installing here for smart meters.
Well, when I was a systems administrator for a large geographic area I was in charge of installing "updates" on the servers and all computers that connected to them. Later on I found out that it was all tweaking the control and logging software. Basically it was updating the "spying and recording everything you did" software. Sure, there were some basic updates so they were not completely lying, but the biggest part of the truth was not being told.

What they tell you it is, and what it really is, can be very different things. Why do they need those things in the neighborhoods if they can read your meter through the power line like is done here? Is it possible they are being used to read meters? Sure. But the information you have been given as to it's sole and entire function is probably no where near the whole truth.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:22 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I guess I'm changing out all those meters that cant reach the repeaters for nothing then. Dang.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:06 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JameyNotNormal View Post

I have had a "smart meter" since the mid '90s. It works as NC1 describes. I am even on an REA...
Old 07-31-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
What they tell you it is, and what it really is, can be very different things. Why do they need those things in the neighborhoods if they can read your meter through the power line like is done here? Is it possible they are being used to read meters? Sure. But the information you have been given as to it's sole and entire function is probably no where near the whole truth.
Well, around here the electric utility and the natural gas utility are the same company. The "smart meters" are on both my electric meter and gas meter. Having one common system to read them all makes some sense, to me. Running a "read by wire" system for the electric meter, but a separate radio based system for my gas meter probably wouldn't be a good investment.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:09 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmckenna View Post
Well, around here the electric utility and the natural gas utility are the same company. The "smart meters" are on both my electric meter and gas meter. Having one common system to read them all makes some sense, to me. Running a "read by wire" system for the electric meter, but a separate radio based system for my gas meter probably wouldn't be a good investment.
That is probably why your gas meter can talk to your smart meter, and all the information gets sent along through the power lines. Many of these things can, and often do, connect.

If these mystery boxes are mostly in higher crime areas, I would suspect it to be a gunfire detection system. They are already in most cities.
Old 07-31-2018, 1:25 PM

Quote:
That is probably why your gas meter can talk to your smart meter, and all the information gets sent along through the power lines. Many of these things can, and often do, connect.
Probably, however I know that the gas meters talk to the system separate from the electric meter.

Quote:
If these mystery boxes are mostly in higher crime areas, I would suspect it to be a gunfire detection system. They are already in most cities.
Could be, but I suspect with the multiple antennas, it's just a mesh network system.

One of the nearby cities has a set up that looks like that. They've got them mounted on the occasional street light pole. They broadcast their SSID on WiFi, and is used by the city, pd, fire, etc. for their network connections.
Old 07-31-2018, 1:40 PM

Location: Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious Arm, SOL system, Earth, California, Bay Area.

Looks like FREE City WiFi to me. in some areas Downtown there is FREE WiFi provided by the City, this Device looks similar. you can confirm with a SDR or Digital Scout frequency counter. then use a scanner to go through each frequency captured. SDR has a waterfall however.
Old 08-25-2018, 7:27 PM

Something similar popped up when our local metropolitan transit district updated their comms for the buses. The buses are rolling mobile hotspots that have a private network for the transit district and a public access network for its riders enabling both to enjoy high speed internet. The transit district is able to perform AVL, vehicle diagnostics, multiple indoor and outdoor camera feeds and voice comms with the driver.

Another device is shown on the next answer.
Uniden 996XT, 785D, 536HPx4, 436HPx6, SDS100

Last edited by scrotumola; 08-25-2018 at 7:38 PM..
Old 08-25-2018, 7:31 PM

Those popped up in my city when they decided to coordinate traffic light patterns.

Back in 2006 my city spent $5 million to coordinate traffic light patterns and once finished, it worked beautifully. The boxes you show resemble what was seen at every intersection controlled by a traffic signal. You could be on the far side of the city, catch a green and ride the wave of greens all the way through downtown and to the other side.

BUT THEN....

The illustrious mayor at the time decided to close off a four block area of the town's center to create a park in front of the super historic Cathedral, and the re-routing around this new park completely unraveled the perfection in light timing that had been accomplished. Its been years and the timing has never been restored to what had been accomplished prior to his honor's epiphany.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/S+...!4d-98.4950339
Uniden 996XT, 785D, 536HPx4, 436HPx6, SDS100