RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Software > Trunking Control Channel Decoding

Trunking Control Channel Decoding For discussion of installation, setup, configuration, and use of the Trunker / Unitrunker digital decoding utilities (for decoding Trunking control channels)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2009, 11:11 AM

Default Trunkview for mpt 1327 decoding

has anyone used this decoder, if so once the system info has been obtained can it be programmed to the scanner and it be used independently without the trunkview program?
Sponsored links
Old 07-07-2009, 12:10 PM
VIC Database Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbrowning View Post
has anyone used this decoder, if so once the system info has been obtained can it be programmed to the scanner and it be used independently without the trunkview program?
I do not believe that there are any scanner's that can openly track an MPT1327 network without assistance of the trunkview program, until such a scanner is developed then you'll need to continue using the computer application.

What I have done is run trunkview with scanner #1, then have scanner #2 programmed with the voice channels in sequence, then when ever scanner #1 trunkview alerts us to an active voice call listen in on scanner #2.

Other users may have better suggestions...
Old 07-07-2009, 1:04 PM

I'm confused, i can hear the network i want on a Radio Shack Pro-2017 by prog. the 5 trunk freqs in and locking out the control ch. there does not seem to be any other traffic on this net.
Old 07-08-2009, 4:35 AM
Database Admin

Quote:
Lots of people, worldwide, successfully use TrunkView on a daily basis.

Quote:
I'm confused, i can hear the network i want on a Radio Shack Pro-2017 by prog. the 5 trunk freqs in and locking out the control ch. there does not seem to be any other traffic on this net.
If you stated what System and frequencies you are trying to monitor, it would make it easier for others to help you.

I see that the PRO-2017 can be programmed by PC, but can it be controlled by PC.

--
Comint

Last edited by Comint; 07-08-2009 at 4:40 AM..
Old 07-08-2009, 8:09 AM

system name: Southwest Regional Communications Center
system type: MPT 1327 Standard
system voice: Analog
freqs. 453.3625
does the trunkview program have to be used all the time, i want to get a handheld to monitor in the field
Sponsored links
Old 07-08-2009, 8:53 AM
Database Admin

Quote:
system name: Southwest Regional Communications Center
system type: MPT 1327 Standard
system voice: Analog
freqs. 453.3625
does the trunkview program have to be used all the time, i want to get a handheld to monitor in the field
OK. I'm guessing that you are trying to monitor the Desoto TX, Site (SysID 0D91), and 453.7625 is the Control Channel.
Having programmed those frequencies into your scanner, you should be able to monitor them as conventional channels. If you are not hearing anything, are you sure that the System is still been used.
At least with MPT1327, the channels don't change every time the PTT is released.

Edit:
Have you actually run TrunkView, and does it show any activity such as GTC Voice to any of those frequencies.

--
Comint

Last edited by Comint; 07-08-2009 at 9:15 AM.. Reason: Added question.
Old 07-08-2009, 9:48 AM

I'm sorry, I am receiving all the DeSoto PD traffic, iwas saying that there does not appear to be any other traffic on these freqs. No, I have not used Trunkview as it doe not support this older scanner. My intentions are to determine what handheld scanner to purchase for use out in the field. There are several analog trunk trackers available as u know, but they serve no purpose if the Trunkview program is regquired all the time. is it reguired all the time,
Old 07-08-2009, 11:23 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

There are currently no scanners that will monitor MPT1327 without the assistance of a program like Trunkview or Unitrunker.
Old 07-08-2009, 1:58 PM

Thanks Jay,
I don't understand how I am hearing the traffic I desire on this old radio Shack Pto 2017 without the use of a program
Sponsored links
Old 07-08-2009, 3:33 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Well, with all trunking systems, including MPT1327, the voice channels are available for listening to regardless of whether the scanner can trunk-track them or not. The act of trunk-tracking them comes from the scanner's ability to listen to the control channel and turn that 'noise' into commands that tell it which voice channel to listen to.

If you're hearing all the conversations without having to jump from voice channel to voice channel, what is going on is you have a pretty small system with very few users. One of the things that's different about MPT systems compared to others (as was mentioned above) is that conversations tend to not jump around on the various frequencies - you'll most often hear an entire exchange on one voice channel without having to jump around. The problem is, you still don't know what trunk "channel" it is you're listening to, because that information is passed on the control channel.
Old 07-09-2009, 3:49 AM
Forums Moderator

To add a little bit more to what Jay and Comint have said.

Using Trunkview ADDS to what you can do when monitoring an MPT1327 system - it will allow you to build up a database of the radio idents and then allow you to monitor the trunked system for specific users.
It will allow you to build statistics and limited traffic analysis.
It will give a better understanding of how the system has been set up and how the users are permitted to interact.

These sort of things add to the enjoyment of radio I think.
Old 07-09-2009, 8:45 AM

Thank you. The best explanation of what is going on I've heard. I'm new to the trunking system though not to scanners. My first one back in the mid 70s, 4 channel crystal controlled. had AOR in my truck twice but the theives seem to like too so I gave up on mobile units. Thanks again.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:39 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good

Can someone suggest a "relatively" easy program I can use to decode a local MPT-1327 system. I'd really enjoy that. I have a BCD396T, a Pro-528, And a BCT15 at my disposal, Which one would work best for something like this, and how would I set it up with whatever program it was that I decided to use?

I have tried this before, and it ended in utter failure, So some guidance from someone fairly seasoned in this type of minotring would truly be a blessing.
Old 07-28-2009, 1:40 PM

It would be easier to tell you what I have learned over the phone. 972-227-1484
Old 07-29-2009, 6:05 PM
Forums Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subject4Five View Post
Can someone suggest a "relatively" easy program I can use to decode a local MPT-1327 system. I'd really enjoy that. I have a BCD396T, a Pro-528, And a BCT15 at my disposal, Which one would work best for something like this, and how would I set it up with whatever program it was that I decided to use?

I have tried this before, and it ended in utter failure, So some guidance from someone fairly seasoned in this type of minotring would truly be a blessing.
What did you try before that you had your failure with?

Using one (or even two) of your three scanners with Trunkview would be 'relatively' easy.
Sponsored links
Old 07-31-2009, 7:46 PM

Anyone have this hooked up on a 785d Scanner ? and have it on a motorola Smart zone system please pm or email me. I can not get this working for some reason Thanks
Old 08-01-2009, 5:08 AM
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoSystemsTech View Post
Anyone have this hooked up on a 785d Scanner ? and have it on a motorola Smart zone system please pm or email me. I can not get this working for some reason Thanks
There are 7 major Trunked Radio protocols in the world:

Motorola
EDACS
LTR
MTP1327
SmarTrunkII
TETRA
TetraPol

TrunkView is only intended to work with MPT1327.

--
Comint
Old 08-01-2009, 8:15 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I think MotoTRBO should be added to that list.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:36 AM
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNF2G View Post
I think MotoTRBO should be added to that list.
It is my understanding that MotoTRBO is built on the European ETSI Digital Mobile Radio (DMR) Standard. The DMR Standard is in three Tiers, and MotoTBRO only supports Tier 2, which is conventional repeaters. Trunking is Tier 3, and Motorola has stated that Tier 3 will not be available for MotoTBRO in the foreseeable future, or words to that effect.

--
Comint
Old 08-02-2009, 8:50 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Maybe they are only offering Tier 3 to Arab nations.

Quote:
"Motorola Now Shipping MOTOTRBO™ Capacity Plus Single Site Digital Trunking to Help Users Maximize Capacity and Efficiency

Single-site digital trunking system cost-effectively expands communication systems and provides reliable digital technology
From albawaba.com Middle East News, July 28, 2009.