RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Software > Trunking Control Channel Decoding

Trunking Control Channel Decoding For discussion of installation, setup, configuration, and use of the Trunker / Unitrunker digital decoding utilities (for decoding Trunking control channels)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-30-2014, 6:33 AM

Default UniTrunker Signal Receiver Randomly Dies

Hi,

I have two RTL2832Us in a signal/voice configuration which passes the audio to DSD+ for processing. Everything works functionality wise, but after a short period of time, the signal receiver signal strength on the site window goes all black and calls stop coming in, however in the decode section of the receiver properties it shows Protocol: "ProVoice" and Health: "100".

To get things working again, I hit the stop button, then play button, on the signal receiver, and the protocol switches to "EDACS96", Health stays at "100", and the audio starts flowing again.

I'm at a loss on this one since it works without issue until a random time period that I can't seem to determine. It's historically been between 15 minutes to a couple of hours.

Let me know if I can provide any more information to help. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored links
Old 05-30-2014, 4:36 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I found that I when I unchecked all protocols except EDACS96 it would stay showing the green signal bar.
Old 05-30-2014, 7:10 PM

Hi egrams,

Thanks for your reply. I gave that a shot and it's been working the longest ever so far. I think that might have done it!
Old 06-01-2014, 4:22 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Arrived at this thread because I was experiencing the exact same issue. Once I checked *only* EDACS96 on the signal receiver it fixed it for me as well.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:32 AM
ScanNewEngland Webmaster
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Another issue with using RTL dongles as both control and signal receivers is the drift they undergo during temperature changes. Periodic adjustments one or two PPM usually overcome this problem, in my case anyway. I haven't noticed that the unchecking of other protocols makes any difference.

But for about $40, you can't beat it. I now use it as my main trunked system receiver for my local public safety system. With those periodic adjustments it works like a champ.
Sponsored links