Is there a level control? (Issues with decoding)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegriff

Premium Subscriber
I am almost all setup with my SDR radio. I have two RTL dongles and have everything setup using Unitrunker, DSD+ and VBCable. Sometimes the decrypted voice sounds good, sometimes a bit like a robot and other times completely unintelligible.

in the DSD window I notice 'Lvl' is constantly near 100%. After reading some articles I think my issue may be overdriving the DSD software. I've tried using the Windows volume controls to reduce the input level to no avail. Is there a secret setting somewhere in Unitrunker that I can se to reduce the level going into DSD?

If I'm completely off base and the level has nothing to do with my issue, any thoughts? I am using the "stock antennae" for both dongles to monitor Atlanta PD (I'm in the city). I'm showing very good signal for the signal receiver so that's why I'm not focusing on the antennae.

Thanks in advance!

SCPD

QRT
thegriff - you may want to tweak the warp correction value on the RTL stick assigned to voice following.

For level adjustments, I used the follow steps to view them for VB Cable in Windows 8.1 ...

Right-click on Speaker Icon in taskbar.
Select "Recording Devices".
Select Cable Output (VB-Audio Virtual Cable)
Click "Properties".
Select the "Levels" tab.

I see two slider controls.

thegriff

Premium Subscriber
I was having no success when changing the levels within the Windows mixer. I was able to do "something" that eventually lead to the volume controls making a difference and decoding started to improve. I also upgraded to the latest version of DSD+ and things seem to be less garbled.

I do have the correction optimized but I suspect I am too close to multiple towers and have multipath issues.

Thank you for Unitrunker! You've helped save me $400 by letting me "build" a scanner rather than purchase.

SCPD

QRT
What you have is more of a logging station than a scanner.

$400 isn't so bad when you throw in the cost of a laptop.

thegriff

Premium Subscriber
True...but what I have does what I wanted which was to stream local PD and FD to my iPhone while inside the house.

I do want a scanner (WS1080 or BCD436HP) but don't quite have the budget right now.

majoco

Stirrer
A bit off topic but....
stream local PD and FD to my iPhone while inside the house
I don't stream audio to an iPhone, but I broadcast it though a modified MP3 transmitter to any radio in the house or in my pocket with earbuds when I'm mowing the grass. It'll go 100yards easy. It's now been modified even further with a SD card player and put in a nice small speaker box. Runs off a 12v wall-wart - all the audio inputs come from a mixer so any of my radios can be re-broadcast.

Status
Not open for further replies.