Unitrunker 1.0.30.10. msi (question)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
I just downloaded Unitrunker 1.0.30.10.msi and clicked on run and it set the program up on my laptop computer, but I notice that unitrunker makes icons on my desk top every time I run it.

Icons
colorworldxml
configurexml
unitrunkerxml1 and xml2 and everytime I listen to a different system it makes another unitrunkerxml icon

Is this the way it is suppose to run.
Steve

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Saving to desktop

No. It shouldn't be using your desktop.

Just did a complete re-install on Windows 8.1 and all the files unitrunker is making are being saved to my desktop again, if I delete the files on my desktop then when I start unitrunker again t gives me a choice again how to start the program and I click on First time installation and the program starts saving all the files to my desktop again.
Steve

SCPD

QRT
The desktop shortcut must not have the correct working folder.

Try launching it from the Start menu.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Working Now

The desktop shortcut must not have the correct working folder.

Try launching it from the Start menu.

I deleted the icon that unitrunker made on my desktop, then went into the Unitrunker directory and right clicked on the uniform.exe file and went to properties and click on run as administrator, then dragged that to my desktop and made a shortcut and when I click on that icon the program works ok.
Steve

DeKP

It did the same thing for me. I figured it was because I didn't use the WIX installer and just tried to install it by clicking on the file. I haven't tried to re install it using the WIX installer as of yet because I need to learn how to use it.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I think you guys are misunderstanding what was meant when Unitrunker (Rick) said the latest release used a different installer.

The end-user's operation, from installation to use, is entirely the same. It's how Unitrunker packaged the program for delivery that changed. You don't need any extra training or software in order to use this program vs. any other version of Unitrunker. You don't need to 'learn how to use it' because it works the same way as any other piece of software you have ever installed.

moonbounce

I must be downloading Unitrunker incorrectly. When I try to start it from the Start Menu I get a message saying, " No working folder access. Invalid installation or shortcut. Program will exit.

When I download Unitrunker it downloads into my download folder, from there, when i click on the icon I get the run command and Unitrunker is installed in my start menu and a desktop shortcut appears.
Is that what is supposed to happen?

moonbounce

Okay I seem to have everything working now, with two problems. First problem is in site one I will make 2 control channels when there is only one. If I uncheck the one that is not a control channel it automatically makes it a control channel. I have tried moving it around but that doesn't seem to matter. How do I get to one frequency being a control channel without the program changing it to two channels?
Second problem is I am not getting any decode from my Ap 25, just from the analog part of the frequency.

MB

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
If "the program" is designating a channel as a control channel, that's because that's what it is. Systems can have more than one control channel (though only one is active at any given time). I have a system in which there is one active control channel and 11 inactive ones.

If you change something and it comes right back - the system being monitored is sending that information over the control channel being received. Take that as the absolute gospel, even if it contradicts what is published on RR or other sites.

SCPD

QRT
Hi Steve!

I deleted the icon that unitrunker made on my desktop, then went into the Unitrunker directory and right clicked on the uniform.exe file and went to properties and click on run as administrator, then dragged that to my desktop and made a shortcut and when I click on that icon the program works ok.
No so fast!

The shortcut you deleted did not run with Administrator access. If you can't get it to work without enabling Admin rights, you still have a problem. This is usually a symptom of using the Program Files folder as the working folder.

Check your shortcut to see that its working folder isn't blank or points to the Program Files folder. Try turning off Admin rights form your new shortcut before starting the program next time.

moonbounce

If "the program" is designating a channel as a control channel, that's because that's what it is. Systems can have more than one control channel (though only one is active at any given time). I have a system in which there is one active control channel and 11 inactive ones.

If you change something and it comes right back - the system being monitored is sending that information over the control channel being received. Take that as the absolute gospel, even if it contradicts what is published on RR or other sites.

Yes, but the frequency that Unitrunker is designating as a control channel is not a control channel?

FYI, I have been monitoring the same system with a tapped scanner and DSD+ and trust me when i say it is not a control channel.

Last edited:

moonbounce

Hi Steve!

No so fast!

The shortcut you deleted did not run with Administrator access. If you can't get it to work without enabling Admin rights, you still have a problem. This is usually a symptom of using the Program Files folder as the working folder.

Check your shortcut to see that its working folder isn't blank or points to the Program Files folder. Try turning off Admin rights form your new shortcut before starting the program next time.

Steve and Unitrunker, when I download Unitrunker, I do not see anywhere were I could run as an administrator. I know what you are referring to as i have done that with other programs, But when I left click on the program in the download file, there is no "run as administrator" command?

SCPD

QRT
The end-user's operation, from installation to use, is entirely the same.
Thanks Jay. Apologies to everyone for the confusion. WIX is a tool I use to generate the MSI file. I'm still learning how to use it (hence the bad desktop shortcut).

moonbounce said:
How do I get to one frequency being a control channel without the program changing it to two channels?
Thanks again to Jay911 for responding to this. The RR DB tries to list all known control channels. You need to know all the control channels for the Chase feature to work.

The RR DB describes control channels as either "Primary" or "Alternate". This seemed odd to me since (a) you still have to scan all control channels to find the active one and (b) primary seems to indicate which ever channel was active at the time of the RR DB submission. Who's to say it's actually "Primary". The distinction offers no value to anyone programming a scanner.

moonbounce said:
Second problem is I am not getting any decode from my Ap 25, just from the analog part of the frequency.
Reading this at face value, I have no idea how to respond. Since this looks to be a new topic, please start a new thread describing what you did, how you did it, and what you expected to happen.

SCPD

QRT
Yes, but the frequency that Unitrunker is designating as a control channel is not a control channel?
Many trunked systems announce *alternate* control channels. The radios might not have the latest information programmed for each site. Learning about the alternate control channels allows the users' radios to find the site whenever the active control channel rolls over to a different frequency.

moonbounce said:
Steve and Unitrunker, when I download Unitrunker, I do not see anywhere were I could run as an administrator. I know what you are referring to as i have done that with other programs
Steve is referring to a feature of the Windows shortcut. In any case, it's a feature you do not need.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
problems

Many trunked systems announce *alternate* control channels. The radios might not have the latest information programmed for each site. Learning about the alternate control channels allows the users' radios to find the site whenever the active control channel rolls over to a different frequency.

Steve is referring to a feature of the Windows shortcut. In any case, it's a feature you do not need.

I took the time to fix the problem I was having, and if you read what I had to do to fix this problem you will find a fix. I have no problem downloading the installer, if you want to help people then explain why I have this problem when I have all theses files gong to my desktop, if the downloader is working the way you say it's supposed to then deal with that problem.
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.