A totally dumb question ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I said it was dumb, not joking. This is really basic but I see a ton of different options.

Ok .. well presently I have a PSR500 scanner connected up to Unitrunker for Edacs control channel monitoring (800 MHz system), but the system is going away.

But .. really I need something else sometime soon. I am not going to dedicate my PSR800 to this task. That would be a bigger waste, even though I use it for recording. The upcoming Whistler 1095 will probably take that task over.

I see people using dongles .. but I know NOTHING about dongles. I am a scanner guy .. way back to the crystal age. I never has any reason to do anything else. But I do not want to dedicate a scanner for such a task.

So here are my requirements .. ability to do P25 control channel decode on 770 MHz with Unitrunker or similar. (the PSSR500 will not do the required frequencies .. so it will sit in a box to have a nice retirement when the time comes).

What are my best options ?

Thanks

SCPD

QRT
ability to do P25 control channel decode on 770 MHz with Unitrunker or similar. (the PSSR500 will not do the required frequencies
Nonsense. The PSR500 and PSR600 handle 770 Mhz (as well as 380 Mhz) just fine.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Unfortunately my PSR500 will not do the 771 MHz freqs I need.

764-766-996875 and 773.0000-775.996875 from the manual.

That's odd, mine will do 771.xxxx frequencies???

Have you actually confirmed yours won't let you enter these?

SCPD

QRT
We're talking about trunking here. Not "spectrum sweeper band groups". Don't let a missing entry in Appendix C of the PDF manual fool you into thinking 770 isn't covered. The radio uses a step size of 6.25 khz.

My PSR-500 works on 770/771 Mhz. Try it. Enter a frequency in Tune mode. Use the Up/Down arrows to walk through that part of the band. Use PSREdit or Win500 to program a new TSYS for your local 770 Mhz trunking system. It works. Has been working for ... over 7 years now.

One of the chief improvements of the '500 over the PRO-96 was the inclusion of 380 and 770 Mhz trunking.

I've used it to monitor these systems:

Lower Colorado River Authority (LCRA) P25 Trunking System, Various, Texas - Scanner Frequencies

Bell County Public Safety (Project 25) System Trunking System, Belton, Texas - Scanner Frequencies

Fort Hood Trunking System, Killeen, Texas - Scanner Frequencies

Texas Wide Area Radio Network (TxWARN) Project 25 Trunking System, Various, Texas - Scanner Frequencies

SCPD

QRT
That's odd, mine will do 771.xxxx frequencies???

Have you actually confirmed yours won't let you enter these?

That is interesting ... I just programmed in my system and PSREdit never complained. I did switch it from Canadian bandplan to US bandplan.

But the manual still states it will not do the required frequencies. I tried it on my local P25 system .. and Unitrunker is working just fine.

Obviously the manual is wrong. (Even the manual (from 2007 mind you) .. on the GREAMERICA site shows those frequencies as not being available on this model).

I just checked the system ... I need it to do from 771-775 MHz. Can someone confirm that it will do that range ?

The PSR500 manual I have is ver 1.3

I am happy to see that the manual is wrong. ;-)

Thanks

Last edited:

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
That is interesting ... I just programmed in my system and PSREdit never complained. I did switch it from Canadian bandplan to US bandplan.

But the manual still states it will not do the required frequencies. I tried it on my local P25 system .. and Unitrunker is working just fine.

Obviously the manual is wrong.

I just checked the system ... I need it to do from 771-775 MHz. Can someone confirm that it will do that range ?

The PSR500 manual I have is ver 1.3, I will see if there is a newer one.

Thanks

Mine works from 762.0000 to 796.99625. (with the exception of 781-791).

The Pro-197 Wiki has the proper coverage...

Pro-197 - The RadioReference Wiki

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Well gentlemen .... I guess the trick is to actually try it and do not believe the manual.

I never tried it on the system before as the manual said it would not do it.

I am happy that it does ... as that will mean that my PSR500 will continue to do Unitrunker duty when my new P25 system comes online next year.

Thanks for all your help ... :wink:

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
So your "totally dumb question" saved you some money...sounds like a totally smart question to me. :D

SCPD

QRT
No doubt .. I am very happy to give it a nice job to do til its retirement. But I do probably need a better antenna .. the signal is a little weak. But I expect about 4-5 closer sites to here rather than the 1 I am currently picking up by the time the system is fully built. So .. who knows, no big rush on that one.

Thanks for all your help guys ... it is much appreciated and yes it will save me some money.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Not to get all sappy, but I really like success stories like this (members helping other members with no bashing of each other or a certain company :wink:) . It shows what a great resource Radio Reference is.

Status
Not open for further replies.