RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Unication Forum

Unication Forum - Forum for discussion of Unication products.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2016, 6:28 PM
...I'm trying to listen.
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Will it do Phase 2 yet? That's all I'm waiting on to buy it.
Sponsored links
Old 10-15-2016, 8:44 PM

Not yet. I'm hoping for end of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2016, 12:04 PM
wizard of odd
Database Admin

for the dual band g5:

Create an option to automatically revert to a specific 800 system / TG to monitor after receiving a conventional tone page via VHF.

Many systems use VHF exclusively for paging. All other traffic is on 800 and not patched back to VHF. This would allow instantaneous monitoring of updates after the page without user intervention.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:44 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpetraglia View Post
<snip> ... and get the menu option to override scanning until changes are complete. My system is so busy, I have to disconnect the ant. so as to complete the menu changes without being interrupted constantly.
This is definitely an issue. I'm using a workaround for now, might be helpful for others:

In Zone 1, Knob 1, I have a scan list of 15 or so busy P25 911 Talkgroups. In Zone 1, Knob 2, I have another TG scan list, but it contains only the one Talkgroup I'm most likely to want to hold on. It's the police dispatch channel for the precinct I live in. I can switch to that one channel quickly with a knob click if something of interest is happening. The side benefit is that Talkgroup is usually not very active, so if I need to dive into the menus I'll click over to Knob 2 first, and I'm usually able to accomplish my menu tasks without interruption. Alternatively you could assign a "traffic free" TG to whatever knob position you like, but the setup I described is working well for me. I've also tried the antenna removal trick. For me the antenna method seems more cumbersome, and often doesn't work as my G5 can usually get a good signal without the antenna.

Last edited by sparklehorse; 11-02-2016 at 12:50 PM..
Old 11-13-2016, 11:48 AM

Compression/Limiter. Some people talk like 2 feet away from the microphone, while others talk right into it. It should be trivial to add a feature to do voice compression/limiting to keep the audio levels at a consistent range, regardless of distance to microphone the user is speaking into.

Maybe a lowcut/high cut/etc option as well. The unused grey bar on the bottom of the screen should offer maybe a signal level (RSSI bar)/BER when it is receiving a voice call.

It is an amazing little pager, this thing is smaller than the palm of my hand but it feels robust.
Sponsored links
Old 11-13-2016, 3:47 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I have actually been looking for a stand alone audio AGC board that would run between my BT receiver and amp. I have some transmissions that are so loud compared to say the dispatcher that it is so distorted, it cant be made out. If I was a dispatcher, it would get old quickly. I have to believe the professional radios deal with this.
Old 11-13-2016, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpetraglia View Post
I have actually been looking for a stand alone audio AGC board that would run between my BT receiver and amp. I have some transmissions that are so loud compared to say the dispatcher that it is so distorted, it cant be made out. If I was a dispatcher, it would get old quickly. I have to believe the professional radios deal with this.
For sure. They have to have a proper COMP/LIM loop to keep volumes at an average level. It would be trivial to add to the Unication G4/G5 since it is an SDR product unlike "Uniden"
Old 11-14-2016, 7:43 PM
wizard of odd
Database Admin

Not really a change to the pager but the software needs tweaking. Someone needs to proofread the help area. It's painful to read, like a really bad translation.
Old 11-16-2016, 9:06 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Phase II capability and then I will purchase one. Others will also. Where I live in NJ Simulcast issues make my Uniden 325 a pricey paperweight.
Old 11-16-2016, 9:23 PM

I listen to an FDMA talk group (NJSP B2-4) on the NJICS system off the West Orange Simulcast using the G5. No Simulcast issues, period. My Whistler and Uniden both struggle due to LSM. I know a lot are waiting for TDMA support. If it performs like it does on FDMA, this is your LSM fix.

Old 11-16-2016, 10:03 PM

I would like to see more memory and a SD card slot option.
Old 11-18-2016, 5:49 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thanks SignalZero, good to hear. No idea whether P2 capability will be coming in months or years. I have a hunch they will sell a decent number of these in NJ when they do make them P2 capable. . I am not well versed on this jargon. Did not know that the NJ Interop system even does FDMA which I assume is same as saying P25 Phase 1? I thought the whole system was P2.
Old 11-18-2016, 6:25 PM

Yeah the State Police Smartzone system shares the same core with the NJICS. So they are running SmartX site converters and I believe GGM8000 gateways to bring the talkgroups over to the NJICS in FDMA.

Old 03-12-2017, 3:44 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default G4 Pager

I'm thinking of buying a G4 Pager down the road in a few month's just a few questions

you have 8 channels per zone?
you can scan as many talkgroups per each channel?
when you add a 2nd bank would be Zone-2 and add more talkgroups how do you add them is it per the systems in the pager?
Old 03-12-2017, 3:53 PM

Default What Changes Would You Most Like To See On The Unication G4/G5 Pagers?

Each channel position on the rotary dial selects a system. It could be a system consisting of a single talkgroup or up to 64 trunked talkgroups. In the menu you can scroll down for up to 128 of these. Each of the 128 systems is capable of being programmed for each of the 8 channel positions. And, again, each channel position can be a single talkgroup or up to 64 talkgroups.
Old 03-12-2017, 8:20 PM

Not sure if it was mentioned, but an "undo" option for the last change (change or delete) in the PPS would be great.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:33 PM

Talkgroup hold button.
Option to continuously stream the bluetooth signal to eliminate the beeping problem with BT speakers/headphones.
Old 03-13-2017, 2:49 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhzMax View Post
Talkgroup hold button.
Option to continuously stream the bluetooth signal to eliminate the beeping problem with BT speakers/headphones.
AMEN to that one. I gave up on BT.
Old 03-13-2017, 4:20 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

RECEIVER:

Scan Hold
Nuisance Delete
Radio ID aliasing
Encryption mute
Ability to force the receiver onto a particular site in a system
Multi-system scan
Fix the menu interruption issue

PPS:
A better way to organize talk-groups
Better copy/paste functions
A way to make certain settings your default so you don't have to change the same setting over and over when you are entering multiple zones/channels and talkgroups.

HARDWARE:
Higher quality speaker
Ear-phone jack
16 channel selector instead of eight
More robust knobs
Old 03-14-2017, 12:11 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

PPS ability to save/store profiles by user selected name, instead of an auto-generated name.

While trying to setup four different profiles, I cannot save them with the name of the profile, as they are updated.

Sent via Tapatalk