RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Unication Forum

Unication Forum - Forum for discussion of Unication products.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-27-2017, 5:33 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

i paid $660 for my G5 VHF if the scanner manufacturers would BUILD a scanner like these pagers all of out PROBLEMS would be over lol
Sponsored links
Old 12-27-2017, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidzimmerman View Post
i paid $660 for my G5 VHF if the scanner manufacturers would BUILD a scanner like these pagers all of out PROBLEMS would be over lol

I originally paid $349 for the bcd325p2 that I tried using before reading a lot here and realizing that even if it did hold the control channel it still missed half the transmissions, and keeping the control channel was always hard. I returned it, waiting to buy my uhf g5 once phase 2 comes out. I want/need something that gets every transmission for my wife to monitor when Iím at a call. Comes in handy if a ďroutineĒ call becomes extended and I donít have the opportunity to call her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2018, 4:49 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I'm sure it's been suggested before, but a headphone jack!

I've tried several Bluetooth devices and so far I haven't found one that works with the Unication. They all see a new transmission as an incoming call and alert as such... In turn, covering up the audio from the pager.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:40 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

The G5 is an excellent radio, but, as others have stated, it is NOT a scanner. The more 'scanner' like functions we want to see, the more like a scanner the G5 will become with many of a scanners inherent issues.

The more 'systems' the radio has to scan, the better the chance of missing a call.

I would like to see a 'hold' feature. Though when monitoring a working fire incident, which do I lock onto, fireground (TAC) or dispatch. For a large system there may be more than one TAC channel. Think about it.

The G5 can decrypt encrypted transmissions if you have the key. So is the ability to mute encryption when in TG Monitor truly needed (for the purpose the G5 was built and marketed)? When using TG monitor, how many other unwanted (unencrypted) talk groups can we hear? Things like school buses, trash collection, water or street repairs.

Can Uniden and Whistler learn from Unication, certainly, but let's try to keep the Unication radios as simple as we can.

Improve the PPS (better instructions), a real users manual for features I see on the radio but have not idea what they do or how to access or enter information into.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEH View Post
The G5 is an excellent radio, but, as others have stated, it is NOT a scanner. The more 'scanner' like functions we want to see, the more like a scanner the G5 will become with many of a scanners inherent issues.

The more 'systems' the radio has to scan, the better the chance of missing a call.

I would like to see a 'hold' feature. Though when monitoring a working fire incident, which do I lock onto, fireground (TAC) or dispatch. For a large system there may be more than one TAC channel. Think about it.

The G5 can decrypt encrypted transmissions if you have the key. So is the ability to mute encryption when in TG Monitor truly needed (for the purpose the G5 was built and marketed)? When using TG monitor, how many other unwanted (unencrypted) talk groups can we hear? Things like school buses, trash collection, water or street repairs.

Can Uniden and Whistler learn from Unication, certainly, but let's try to keep the Unication radios as simple as we can.

Improve the PPS (better instructions), a real users manual for features I see on the radio but have not idea what they do or how to access or enter information into.

At this point I donít know if I would even entertain uniden or whistler, I will accept the fact that I can only monitor one system at a time over the garbage we get from the other 2. An option for holding a TG or putting a 2-5 second delay would be awesome. And better instructions for the pps also, even though after only a short time did I figure it out through trial and error.

Sponsored links
Old 01-09-2018, 11:22 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSpleen85 View Post
I'm sure it's been suggested before, but a headphone jack!

I've tried several Bluetooth devices and so far I haven't found one that works with the Unication. They all see a new transmission as an incoming call and alert as such... In turn, covering up the audio from the pager.
The pager treats each transmission as a call, so it is not a shortcoming of the earphone.

FWIW, the amp base has a 3.5 mm audio out, but that is not portable.

Sent via Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2018, 2:12 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Headphone jack... PLEASE?

www.frederickscanner.com
Old 01-21-2018, 8:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveJam View Post
Headphone jack... PLEASE?
Problably not going to see this due to the IP67 rating. Bluetooth is their solution which has its own issues.
Old 01-21-2018, 2:16 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWayTim View Post
Problably not going to see this due to the IP67 rating. Bluetooth is their solution which has its own issues.

Agreed. Let me revamp my wish:

Add a non-amplified headphone jack to both desktop chargers.

www.frederickscanner.com
Old 01-22-2018, 6:26 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Everything listed above is what I'd like to have for my G4 Pager. Especially, the ability to HOLD on a TG while scanning.
Old 01-24-2018, 7:35 AM

Would really be nice if they would go back to allowing use to make tones within the PPS like the G1 Series, I am not a big fan of uploading custom tones but had a blast making them within the tone area by changing the tone numbers around. Please Please Please bring that back.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:36 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Unication G5+

Slow down cowboy! This is not an official notice of a new model.
I've had my G5 for a few weeks now, and It goes everywhere with me. It's the best money I've spent in a long time! There are so many things I love about it. And only a very small list of things I'd change, or add to improve it for my use. I'm well aware of the market this pager was design too serve. But I ask for so little. Here is my list.

* Buttons - Ability to program long/short press of the buttons. I'd love a Home button.
* Battery - Slide off battery with/or without the attached belt clip. So I can have a second battery charged and ready.
* Screen Back Light - Screen back light turns on whenever a button is pushed or a knob is turned.
* Button Pushing - Don't interrupt my button pushing when someone keys up on a zone.
* Amplified Charger Base - Charger base able to charge a battery only.
* Amplified Charger base - Ability to program the pager from the charging base.
* Amplified Charger base - Ability to condition the battery.

Ok, I'll stop here. I'm thinking of making some items on the charger wish list happen myself.

What are your thoughts?
Old 01-29-2018, 7:38 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cool G4 / G5 = Iím A Believer

1). Consider raising height of (K1-K4) Soft Keys by 1mm.

a). Allowing easier thumb access.

2). Consider rekindling some of the Project MESA (Mobility for Emergency and Safety Applications) work.

a). ĎFuture thinkingí ... using work that has been completed ... and due to (what appears to be) an increase in natural disaster.

3). Consider establishing a G4 to G6 (yes, G6) trade-up program == (smile) when it happens.

a). (imo) Very frosty pagers (thumbs up) !
Old 01-31-2018, 8:14 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

After my first several days, one thing really, REALLY stands out for Phoenix area monitoring. Encryption muting. Even on "non-encrypted" TGs, there are some radios that seem to be set to "always-on encryption", regardless of whether or not the TG is encrypted. So you get that wonderful encryption noise once or twice an hour, or maybe more at times. And of course at least on this system, the encryption sound level is twice what every other transmission is, so it's nasty. Like anything, your mind learns to tune it out somewhat, but encryption muting would be wish one, followed, by multi-system scan, TG hold, and then nuisance lockout.
Old 01-31-2018, 8:27 PM

Better Bluetooth system. A real owners manual or at least a downloadable version. I had an error and was told to push three buttons that I had no idea where they were. I just popped the battery. A supplied screen protector.
Old 01-31-2018, 9:50 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmore View Post
Better Bluetooth system. A real owners manual or at least a downloadable version. I had an error and was told to push three buttons that I had no idea where they were. I just popped the battery. A supplied screen protector.
LOL, the manual appears to be written in "Chenglish" (when a Chinese person thinks they can translate things into English but really can't so much). You then read and get those "HUH?" moments.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:56 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

My one simple request remains the same for the G5, to be able to monitor an 800 P25 TG and VHF convention channel at the same time. I am a member of two FDs that border each other. One dispatches on 800 P25 Trunked, the other VHF analog conventional. The G5 allows both to be monitored, but not at the same time. I wish it could and I would switch to a single pager instead of two for them.
Old 02-03-2018, 9:14 AM

If they havenít even released a talkgroup hold function or talkgroup delay, I donít see your request being on the top of their list unfortunately. That would require a large rework of their PPS based upon how itís set up currently. MAYBE two trunked systems at once if they created a way to tie their group ID to a specific system, but I think you will only see the ability the scan one system at a time or one set of conventional channels at a time.

Old 02-03-2018, 8:42 PM

custom alert tones
Old 02-03-2018, 10:03 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Phase II.