RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Unication Forum

Unication Forum - Forum for discussion of Unication products.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-14-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3sls View Post
I did read your post, but apparently you haven't read the archived material related to this subject. The behavior of this radio should be (and now is) to power on in the scan state. Cold starts should only occur when you load the radio with a profile/firmware, reset the radio via button combo, or do a battery pull.
That's not what has been said previously. David's previous response said that this particular bug was simply an indicator issue when the radio went into ultra low-power mode after being in the Off position for 2-3 hours. There has never been a mention that the radio going into ultra low-power mode was a bug.

I'm not sure why you're getting bent over this. I asked. David answered. Let's move on.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:32 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimco View Post
That's not what has been said previously. David's previous response said that this particular bug was simply an indicator issue when the radio went into ultra low-power mode after being in the Off position for 2-3 hours. There has never been a mention that the radio going into ultra low-power mode was a bug.

I'm not sure why you're getting bent over this. I asked. David answered. Let's move on.
I'm not bent! It's just pretty obvious that people are not reading the release notes, nor do they bother to do any research on the history of issues/resolution. Laziness maybe? The result is repetitive, duplicate posts. And I think I detect that frustration in some of David's responses.

But yes, let's move on…and to all…make use of the search features, read the documentation, use the tools available.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:40 AM

I have read every post and I clearly understand the issue. Here is what David said:

"As many of you know the G4/G5 has 3 power modes on, soft power down, and hard power down. When this issue occurs a unit in soft power down mode to go into hard power down mode and then indicates that change with the lights. We implemented the hard power down in the last release it is merely the indicator lights that is the issue. We are trying to extend battery life in all states it is better to leave your device off and then discover that it is fully powered down than to leave it off to return and find that your device's battery is completely dead."

He then said:

"This is a bug in R11P release and occurs when the unit switches power modes. Its simply a visual indication."

This was followed by:

"This is a bug that only occurs when the unit goes through its full shutdown process approximately 2-3 hours after the knob is placed in the off position."

So for anyone who has read this, it is painfully clear that the unit going into this shutdown phase is completely normal and expected. It is the lighting of all three LEDs that was unexpected and a bug.

After installation of the new firmware, the three LEDs no longer illuminate, but the unit also does not enter the ultra low-power mode that, as per David, is expected when the knob is in the Off position for 2-3 hours. Hence my question.

I really don't understand what's so complicated about that or why you insist on calling me lazy when it is clearly you who has misunderstood.

This forum is quickly devolving into the "gotcha" environment that plagues so many other forums. Sad.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:49 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimco View Post
I have read every post and I clearly understand the issue. Here is what David said:

"As many of you know the G4/G5 has 3 power modes on, soft power down, and hard power down. When this issue occurs a unit in soft power down mode to go into hard power down mode and then indicates that change with the lights. We implemented the hard power down in the last release it is merely the indicator lights that is the issue. We are trying to extend battery life in all states it is better to leave your device off and then discover that it is fully powered down than to leave it off to return and find that your device's battery is completely dead."

He then said:

"This is a bug in R11P release and occurs when the unit switches power modes. Its simply a visual indication."

This was followed by:

"This is a bug that only occurs when the unit goes through its full shutdown process approximately 2-3 hours after the knob is placed in the off position."

So for anyone who has read this, it is painfully clear that the unit going into this shutdown phase is completely normal and expected. It is the lighting of all three LEDs that was unexpected and a bug.

After installation of the new firmware, the three LEDs no longer illuminate, but the unit also does not enter the ultra low-power mode that, as per David, is expected when the knob is in the Off position for 2-3 hours. Hence my question.

I really don't understand what's so complicated about that or why you insist on calling me lazy when it is clearly you who has misunderstood.

This forum is quickly devolving into the "gotcha" environment that plagues so many other forums. Sad.
The laziness statement was a generalization and eluded to the numerous questions of "what's included in this update". Clearly, many didn't bother to read a very short document.

But, yes, let's move on!
Old 09-17-2017, 8:58 PM
Founders Curmudgen
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

OP, here. The issue of the LED's being turned on overnight has been remedied with the latest firmware, V0.93-0.17l-R00. Thank you Unication!
MARC ID:3126326
The BEST scanner or receiver is the one you using right now.
Sponsored links
Old 09-18-2017, 8:26 AM

Still would like to know why I have a G5 that has the LED issue and another that does not but they both have the same firmware. Also wonder if somebody can explain the power states. Read about the unit having these but would think on and off would be it. Not sure why after a few hours it is doing anything else
Old Yesterday, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pike63 View Post
Still would like to know why I have a G5 that has the LED issue and another that does not but they both have the same firmware. Also wonder if somebody can explain the power states. Read about the unit having these but would think on and off would be it. Not sure why after a few hours it is doing anything else
As I understand it, the ultra-low power state is designed to save power. However, with the new firmware, it never enters this state. I'm a little confused too, but I dropped it.
Old Yesterday, 7:59 PM
Unication Representative

The 3 power states come from our unreleased U3 portable. The G4/G5 was built on the same platform. The power modes were created for PD so that if the unit were to be powered down in a scuffle with an assailant that the unit could be quickly powered on rather than having to run through the full boot procedure.
Direct: 817-210-4187