RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Unication Forum

Unication Forum - Forum for discussion of Unication products.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2017, 6:24 PM

When I saw that Facebook post, I KNEW this was going to happen! Seriously, folks, David said from the very beginning that there were some pager protocols that they are working on that take precedence over Phase II. Where they are with those, no one knows.

Keep in mind that Unication is not producing scanners for the commercial market. They have a very targeted audience, and it's not most of us in these forums. And seriously, where the rubber meets the road, everyone needs to understand that Phase II is going to happen when it happens. Sure, David will give estimates based on what he feels is reasonable, but it's software, and things happen. Delays happen. Complaining about it and calling Unication "liars" and worse isn't going to be fruitful.

That's just how I see it. If Phase II is critical to you, don't buy a Unication pager until they release Phase II. If you bought one banking on the release estimate, it's really your fault. Where software is concerned, release estimates are just that; estimates! Many companies won't even publicly announce a date because they know how unreasonable people can be when targets are missed.

Jim
Old 08-07-2017, 11:08 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimco View Post
When I saw that Facebook post, I KNEW this was going to happen! Seriously, folks, David said from the very beginning that there were some pager protocols that they are working on that take precedence over Phase II. Where they are with those, no one knows.

Keep in mind that Unication is not producing scanners for the commercial market. They have a very targeted audience, and it's not most of us in these forums. And seriously, where the rubber meets the road, everyone needs to understand that Phase II is going to happen when it happens. Sure, David will give estimates based on what he feels is reasonable, but it's software, and things happen. Delays happen. Complaining about it and calling Unication "liars" and worse isn't going to be fruitful.

That's just how I see it. If Phase II is critical to you, don't buy a Unication pager until they release Phase II. If you bought one banking on the release estimate, it's really your fault. Where software is concerned, release estimates are just that; estimates! Many companies won't even publicly announce a date because they know how unreasonable people can be when targets are missed.

Jim
NO way Jim. If you buy a product from a company and a feature or option is going to be made available and they give you a general time table then they need to stick to it. Its business plain and simple. Dont tell me a feature will be available and move it back months, and not a year. I dont mind waiting a year if its going to be a year. But tell me its a year first. Or dont tell me a time table period.
Id rather hear, oh were working on it, for a year because then im not given a date or time frame for it.
Over a year ago when i got my first G4 i was told it was an upgrade, no mention of having to pay for it. So now i not only have had to deal with having to pay for it, but several time frames have come and gone.
Frankly, i would not have purchased my second G4 (present for my dad) had i known it would be set back yet again. I would have held out to buy the device WHEN it was actually available.

I will also say i dont blame unicationdavid directly. He is getting his info from a company source or over seas where they outsource their programming.
I also think Unication does have a good product. But the company credibility has been damaged for me due to this ongoing delay in a key feature I use and need. I based part of my second device purchasing soley on the statement it was going to be out Q1 or Q2 this year. Now when the city my dad lives in ill be forced to give him a HP2 to listen to his local fire dept and not a G4. Sure he will get a G4 eventually but sucks i already showed him and told him about it.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmSixNine View Post
NO way Jim. If you buy a product from a company and a feature or option is going to be made available and they give you a general time table then they need to stick to it. Its business plain and simple. Dont tell me a feature will be available and move it back months, and not a year. I dont mind waiting a year if its going to be a year. But tell me its a year first. Or dont tell me a time table period.
Id rather hear, oh were working on it, for a year because then im not given a date or time frame for it.
Over a year ago when i got my first G4 i was told it was an upgrade, no mention of having to pay for it. So now i not only have had to deal with having to pay for it, but several time frames have come and gone.
Frankly, i would not have purchased my second G4 (present for my dad) had i known it would be set back yet again. I would have held out to buy the device WHEN it was actually available.
I remember now about you holding a G4 for your dad while you wait on Phase II. Yeah, I can understand how that would make you mad. I don't disagree with anything you've said. If I were Unication, I would have never announced an estimated date. I work for a major software company, and we don't ever publicly announce dates just for that reason! It's very common for software release dates to slip.

I think Unication is a small company that's probably surprised by the popularity of the Gx devices being driven by radio enthusiasts, and they haven't learned how to best deal with that aspect of the business. Just a guess on my part.

Jim
Old 08-07-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Many companies won't even publicly announce a date because they know how unreasonable people can be when targets are missed.

Jim
Hopefully lesson learned - don't promise if you can't deliver.

I've asked my local cable provider about features I've had with other providers - they just say "we're working on it" with no dates or promises .. I take that to mean that I will probably never see it and then if I do, I'll be pleasantly surprised. But giving dates and repeatedly changing/extending those dates - that's just bad business.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymail View Post
. . . giving dates and repeatedly changing/extending those dates - that's just bad business.
I agree that it was a mistake. I think David did that because of the continuous onslaught of, "Come on, Unication! When are we getting Phase II? At least tell us something." His mistake was in listening to that.

Jim
Old 08-07-2017, 12:58 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Bottom line................damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Old 08-10-2017, 2:45 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I'd be happy if they would just fix some minor issues in their firmware. See the odd behavior thread...
Old 08-10-2017, 10:49 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR8000 View Post
Yeah, and let's see if they get QCII right. I wasn't entirely convinced that they understand how QCII over P25 works with the DVSI vocoder based on his replies in that thread.
When you all refer to QCII over P25, does that mean that the G5 can actually decode two-tone signals over a P25 trunked system? My local counties alert their pagers on low-band channels (33 & 46 MHz), but also simulcast these pages over their respective dispatch talkgroups on their UHF trunked systems. Will I be able to monitor a UHF P25 Phase I dispatch talkgroup for specific departments' tones and be alerted?
Old 08-10-2017, 11:53 PM
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
When you all refer to QCII over P25, does that mean that the G5 can actually decode two-tone signals over a P25 trunked system? My local counties alert their pagers on low-band channels (33 & 46 MHz), but also simulcast these pages over their respective dispatch talkgroups on their UHF trunked systems. Will I be able to monitor a UHF P25 Phase I dispatch talkgroup for specific departments' tones and be alerted?
That's the idea, yes.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:45 AM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR8000 View Post
That's the idea, yes.
Is this functionality already present or is it to be added in the future?
Old 08-11-2017, 11:00 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:

Jim
Well said!

To the other posters that want to compare Unication to Uniden, there is one BIG difference. The G4/G5 work well on simulcast P25 systems, and none of the Unidens do unless you are in a absolute perfect RF environment, close to 1 tower only.

GTO_04
Old 08-11-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
...it's software, and things happen. Delays happen. Complaining about it and calling Unication "liars" and worse isn't going to be fruitful.
But that's the RR way of doing things. Just look at all the hate for Uniden.

Quote:
If you bought one banking on the release estimate, it's really your fault.
People refuse to take responsibility for their choices

Quote:
Where software is concerned, release estimates are just that; estimates!
Here that stuff is treated like concrete. They are hard dates and timelines. Then the. It hurt begins when they are missed.

Quote:
Many companies won't even publicly announce a date because they know how unreasonable people can be when targets are missed.

Jim

Hopefully Unication learns and just makes the firmware available once features are complete.

Too many folks on this forum act like they are entitled to know all the little details. Act like a pager company owes them something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk