• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G5 Audio Dropping Out Mid-Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaveJam

Feed Provider
Hi All.

I just received a G5 and using it pretty much as a scanner for my local phase I P25 (Frederick County, MD). Downloaded the PPS, made sure the firmware was up to date, watched Davids tutorial on programming it and I think I have it built out right. The problem is, every few minutes a transmission will start then you hear a short faint beep and the G5 goes quiet for the remainder of the call. If you keep watching the screen, the signal meter goes to zero bars then pops back up to full strength. Every once in a blue moon the volume level gets randomly displayed on the screen as if I changed the volume level, but I didn't.

I live dead center to two close towers. I've been dealing with simulcast issues and right now my BCD536HP is outperforming the G5. Ugh! I'm sure I must have missed a config somewhere. Why does the signal strength drop to zero when i live so close to the tower? Are the two towers battling each other?

I have the scanner setup to one site with one primary and one alternate control channel. I would say maybe 60% of the transmissions are GREAT! But then 40% of the transmissions drop, you hear a faint beep, then the signal goes to zero from full. When the signal goes back up to full, its starts working again and then within a minute or so, the process repeats.

I will drive around with the radio and see what happens in other physical locations, but it'll be always used in this one location. Any ideas folks?

Thank-you!

troymail

Silent Key
Yeah - something's not right - either with the radio itself or in the programming. Are you running the latest firmware and using the latest/matching PPS?

In the past, I've seen times where the radio rebooted itself for no reason but that has not happened for a while.

Can you post your PPS profile here?

troymail

Silent Key
Or, try the attached profile for Frederick and see if it does the same thing... (unzip it then import it into the PPS).

Attachments

• GxPPS_V0.3.9 R02_Frederick_180115.zip
    35.2 KB · Views: 5

WaveJam

Feed Provider
Yeah - something's not right - either with the radio itself or in the programming. Are you running the latest firmware and using the latest/matching PPS?

Great question. Radio firmware = v0.93-0.17I-R00 and PPS version = v0.3.9 R02

Check this video out. It shows the drop, the beep and then keep watching the signal after the transmission dies.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaSO23-Fggg

In the past, I've seen times where the radio rebooted itself for no reason but that has not happened for a while.

It really does seem like its restarting. Like I said, sometimes I see the volume level pop up for a second or two.

Can you post your PPS profile here?

Yup.. attached.

Attachments

• GxPPS_V0.3.9 R02_Frederick P25_180115.unipps.zip
    30.9 KB · Views: 5

troymail

Silent Key
Our profiles look very similar. The only thing that jumps out different for the most part is that I leave recording enabled and you've disabled it.

I did get a weird pop-up error/warning when I was working on the profile that I sent to you but it doesn't appear to have affected the configuration.

I loaded mine on the G5 and it went fine.... The only thing that seems odd to me here with mine is that it keeps trying to find a site/CC and isn't reporting out of range (which is unusual).

Let me know what happens with the profile I sent and we'll go from there....

WaveJam

Feed Provider
The only thing that seems odd to me here with mine is that it keeps trying to find a site/CC and isn't reporting out of range (which is unusual).

Yeah.. That part concerns me. Do you think I should load up all the control channels? I see you have multiple systems (Frederick, Simulcast and Brunswick). I'm no where near Brunswick, so I excluded that.

When I loaded yours.. It was kind of weird. It started up, gave me half of the first transmission then could not lock on to the CC anymore. I'm going to try yours again.

troymail

Silent Key
I made another one - if the first one acts up, try this one...

Note that I add a "Brunswick Site" in Zone 2 -- curious to see if you can receive it (I would not be surprised at all if you can).

Attachments

• GxPPS_V0.3.9 R02_Fred Redo_180115.zip
    39.9 KB · Views: 3

WaveJam

Feed Provider
I made another one - if the first one acts up, try this one...

Note that I add a "Brunswick Site" in Zone 2 -- curious to see if you can receive it (I would not be surprised at all if you can).

No go. Can't connect. A straight line from here to the Brunswick tower is 17 miles over some hilly terrain.

L

Legend2010

Let's wait on that - introducing new firmware in the middle of troubleshooting is only going to add new variables.....

Could fix it if its a bug. His pager isnt looking for another frequency with a signal that strong.

troymail

Silent Key
I'm sorry. Let me clarify. I connect on Zone 1 but original problem still exists.

Ah - ok.....

That is now sounding like a hardware (or battery) issue....

I believe there was a note that came with mine that told me to fully charge the battery before use -- did you? I don't have the note anymore but I thought it mentioned 5 hours....

You may want to contact the vendor you purchased from - hopefully it was Ray's -- he's great to work with.

WaveJam

Feed Provider
That is now sounding like a hardware (or battery) issue....

I believe there was a note that came with mine that told me to fully charge the battery before use -- did you? I don't have the note anymore but I thought it mentioned 5 hours....

Well... To be honest, no. Its fully charged now. I had it on the charger the entire time thinking that was ok.

Does that hose the battery?

troymail

Silent Key
Well... To be honest, no. Its fully charged now. I had it on the charger the entire time thinking that was ok.

Does that hose the battery?

No, I wouldn't think it would. I'm just looking for reasons for the dropout - thinking maybe low power or something.

I'm not seeing these dropouts with the same firmware so I don't think it's a firmware issue.

You've tried a different profile and it is still doing the same thing....

You could try the new firmware but I don't think it is a bug in what your have installed already...

Beyond that, given what we've tried, I'd probably call the vendor and see what they tell you....

Sorry I can't be of more help.

If I think of something else, I'll let you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.