RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Unication Forum

Unication Forum - Forum for discussion of Unication products.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2018, 1:39 PM

Default G1 Long Tone Question

Before I get to my question here is a little background on how things are set up in my county when it comes to tone outs. My county uses Plectron Tones and the timing is 2 seconds by 1 second and 8 seconds for long tones.

My county uses a long tone of 1180 for Weather and Special Announcements. 1180 tone frequency is also used as an A tone for the commercial EMS agencies.

My pager is opening up prematurely when its set for Long Tone, it kind of acts like its set up for single tone instead. Is there a setting that I might be overlooking? Or may I have found a bug in the firmware?
Old 01-23-2018, 1:17 PM

105 Views and no help?
Old 01-23-2018, 1:36 PM

Your on a scanner forum. I would call Unication support.
Old 01-23-2018, 1:44 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWayTim View Post
This is the Unication forum he posted in.This is not a scanner forum only anymore.Scanner users are more common on radioreference yes but again this is the Unication forum on radioreference.
Old 01-23-2018, 2:02 PM
Silent Key
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Probably best to contact your vendor/sales outlet....at least that is what David has said for the G4/G5....
Sponsored links
Old 01-23-2018, 2:28 PM
New York DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I'm a Unication Dealer. Did you set the tone out table for Fast Plectron, or are you using custom timing?

Is the EMS dispatch on the same frequency as the Weather Alert Tone? If not, you might want to create a second tone table for just the EMS frequency and assign it that way.

The Unication G1 does follow timing, so if your A tone is long enough to trigger, you might need to adjust your tone table accordingly. Just because your tones are Plectron standard, it doesn't mean your tone lengths are.
Fast Plectron tones are .75 x .25 sec in length for A/B tones. For long tones, the timing slips my mind.

It sounds like you are using Motorola Timing for the length of your A/B tones, they are 2x1seconds
Try changing the table to Motorola timing and let me know how that works.

Scanner School - A podcast dedicated to the Scanner Radio Hobby.
Subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, or your favorite 'pod app.
Old 01-23-2018, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w2lie View Post
I'm a Unication Dealer. Did you set the tone out table for Fast Plectron, or are you using custom timing?

Is the EMS dispatch on the same frequency as the Weather Alert Tone? If not, you might want to create a second tone table for just the EMS frequency and assign it that way.

The Unication G1 does follow timing, so if your A tone is long enough to trigger, you might need to adjust your tone table accordingly. Just because your tones are Plectron standard, it doesn't mean your tone lengths are.
Fast Plectron tones are .75 x .25 sec in length for A/B tones. For long tones, the timing slips my mind.

It sounds like you are using Motorola Timing for the length of your A/B tones, they are 2x1seconds
Try changing the table to Motorola timing and let me know how that works.
Yes, Fire, EMS, and County Wide Alerts are transmitted on the frequency. I know the tone lengths aren't standard the county shortened them up back in 2007 or 8.

I do not see anything in the Tone Tables about timing, unless I'm overlooking something.

I did contact Unication Tech Support and this was the reply I received "Try changing the order of the stack of tones."

What I ended up doing was removing the long tone. There are a set of tones that are transmitted with that long tone and I placed them in instead.
Old 01-23-2018, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWayTim View Post
Its "You're"
Old 01-23-2018, 4:02 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62Truck View Post
I do not see anything in the Tone Tables about timing, unless I'm overlooking something. .
Tone timing is determined by the Tone System you select. Motorola is 1/3 for a regular QC-II pair and 8 seconds for the Long Tone.

I have a mix of tones from Motorola and Plectron charts but they all use Motorola timing. Some are A/B pairs and others are Long C. I have 20 G1's set up like this and they work just fine.
Old 01-23-2018, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Its "You're"
Thank you. I am on the Samsung and Google forums right now complaining about their phone and the auto correction capabilities. The latest firmware release should know what I am trying to type.
Old 01-23-2018, 6:53 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Yes, Fire, EMS, and County Wide Alerts are transmitted on the frequency. I know the tone lengths aren't standard the county shortened them up back in 2007 or 8.

I do not see anything in the Tone Tables about timing, unless I'm overlooking something.

I did contact Unication Tech Support and this was the reply I received "Try changing the order of the stack of tones."

What I ended up doing was removing the long tone. There are a set of tones that are transmitted with that long tone and I placed them in instead.
This might be a useful resource: https://www.midians.com/pdf/tone-signaling-charts.pdf
Old 01-23-2018, 7:35 PM
New York DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:

Go into PPS and click on Tab F. From there click on the tone table you are using.

You'll be presented with the screen that you can enter your tones.

At the top, you can pull down the timing.

Pick Motorola. I'm almost certain that will fix your problems.
Attached Images

Scanner School - A podcast dedicated to the Scanner Radio Hobby.
Subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, or your favorite 'pod app.
Old 01-30-2018, 1:38 PM

I switched it to Motorola and everything seems to be working as it should when it comes to long tone. After RTFM I noticed that the timing for Plectron long tone is 3 seconds and that is why I was getting the premature alerting. One thing I want to point out is that we are indeed using Plectron tones when it comes to tone frequency. So one thing that had to be done was I had to select Plectron first, input the tone frequencies and then change paging system from Plectron to Motorola.
Old 01-30-2018, 3:59 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
I switched it to Motorola and everything seems to be working as it should when it comes to long tone. After RTFM I noticed that the timing for Plectron long tone is 3 seconds and that is why I was getting the premature alerting. One thing I want to point out is that we are indeed using Plectron tones when it comes to tone frequency. So one thing that had to be done was I had to select Plectron first, input the tone frequencies and then change paging system from Plectron to Motorola.
You really don't need to set Plectron to enter the tones and then change to Motorola. If you set it to Motorola to start, and then enter your Plectron tones, the software will adjust the tones a tiny bit. My 1130/992 gets converted to 1129.7/991.3 and works just fine. These tone decoders can handle about a half % variation in frequency with no loss of proper decode.
Old 01-30-2018, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC0625 View Post
You really don't need to set Plectron to enter the tones and then change to Motorola. If you set it to Motorola to start, and then enter your Plectron tones, the software will adjust the tones a tiny bit. My 1130/992 gets converted to 1129.7/991.3 and works just fine. These tone decoders can handle about a half % variation in frequency with no loss of proper decode.
Thanks for the info. Good to know!