• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G4 or G5 for beginner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michelle0H

Is the g5 worth another hundred for UHF or VHF?

Will someone with no experience since Starsoft programming software be able to program this pager?

troymail

Silent Key
Is the g5 worth another hundred for UHF or VHF?
Depends on if you have VHF or UHF in your area (or where you travel) that you want to monitor - conventional or otherwise.... I started with a G4 (7/800 only) and then got a great deal on a G5... problem always seems to be that if you have a UHF model, you end up where you need VHF (it's just luck, right?).
Will someone with no experience since Starsoft programming software be able to program this pager?
The programming software is unique but you'll get the hang of it pretty quick. The biggest drawback is it doesn't do imports from anywhere and you can't bulk cut and paste bulk anything - so it's type or cut and paste one field at a time.... (I created my own work-around to reduce the base configuration cut and pasting).

Last edited:

Michelle0H

Thanks, troymail. I live in SW Ohio, so I'll have to check it all out. Thanks.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
G4/G5 for beginners?

I decided (yes) because I like having a NOAA alert weather option programmed for a knob position, SKYWARN HAM capabilities and local VHF FIRE (color) fire-grounds which our locals seem to like using MORE than the expensive digital fire-ground talk-groups. If you have lots of VHF/UHF still around? I'd say yes. As far as ease of programming? We all started from things like Scancat-lite and others. It's just a matter of doing it and learning instead of giving up. The SEARCH box for the forums of this website have everything you need to answer any question, they've all been answered before from Uniden/Whistler to Unication products. That's how I learned Scancat/ARC96/EZSCAN and now the Unication PPS. Youtube videos helped too.

Michelle0H

Hmmm, troymail...maybe I should keep looking. I don't need a pager, just wanted a good scanner. And I've always needed a good lockout button. :(

Johnnydollar2, thanks. I still need to look up the VHF/UHF in my area.

troymail

Silent Key
Hmmm, troymail...maybe I should keep looking. I don't need a pager, just wanted a good scanner. And I've always needed a good lockout button. :(

Johnnydollar2, thanks. I still need to look up the VHF/UHF in my area.

Ah - ok.... yes, definitely look at the pros and cons....

It's not so much that it is a pager (it is) or a scanner (it isn't but it does have some limited scan features).....

The real reason to get one is if you need to overcome digital simulcast issues for the system(s) you want to monitor. You want to check with others in your area on that in the Ohio forum.

If you don't have to deal with simulcast, get a scanner.

Michelle0H

Is there a scanner that gets the same reception? And, how do I know if I have to deal with simulcast? (Sorry, told you I'm pretty new.)

Is there a scanner that gets the same reception? And, how do I know if I have to deal with simulcast? (Sorry, told you I'm pretty new.)

I'm in Cleveland got the G5 VHF 8 Months ago and works 100% GREAT for the Ohio Marc's System,Clevelands P25 System,Parma's P25 Harris CRAPY System BEST thing i ever got.
i also got the TRX-2 can't pick up Ohio Marc's at Home sold my Pro-197 so the TRX-2 is a little BETTER but the G5 BLOWS Away the scanner 100%%%%%

AzTac

Unication Nation

The sad reality is that there are no contemporary scanners that can effectively and consistently handle the intricacies of monitoring modern public safety radio systems. If you buy one of these scanners, regardless of the brand, you are in for a great deal of frustration. After many years of monitoring I had all-but-abandoned the hobby and resigned myself to hearing sporadic clips of conversations. My Uniden Home Patrol had become a $500 paperweight.

You'll be hard pressed to find a single person who reports clear, consistent, uninterrupted monitoring of simulcast systems with a scanner. There are too many variables that effect reception than space permits detailing here, but you can read the problems in other posts.

The Unication receivers have completely changed the landscape. They are professional receivers that are specifically designed to overcome the challenges of simulcast systems and they do it quite well. I'm back to being a faithful listener and my passion for the hobby has been reignited.

I had the same concerns as you regarding the programming. No doubt it's a little intimidating at first, but after watching a couple of YouTube videos on the G4 I found my comfort level increasing. I'm barely computer literate and was able to quickly get my G4 functioning without a glitch. I've since made several changes to the program to tweak the setup and it's now become second nature. (I've had the unit about a month.)

Any perceived shortcomings such as no 'hold' feature can be readily overcome based on how you set up your receiver. The Unication receivers are specifically made to handle systems such as the Ohio MARCS.
I personally don't believe the extra money for the VHF/UHF band feature is necessary. Afterall, if the system isn't already being simulcast, it probably will migrate to it sooner rather than later. The likely exception being rural areas. Nonetheless, this is still a decision only you can ultimately make depending upon specifically what you want to monitor.

Bottom line, don't waste your money on a scanner. Go with a G4 or G5. Trust me, you'll be glad you did.

kinglou0

I personally don't believe the extra money for the VHF/UHF band feature is necessary.

There are plenty of P25 and straight up analog systems that are outside of the 700/800 coverage of a G4. If Phase 2 turns out to be worth the wait, I can see a G5 with the 450-520 MHz split in my very immediate future to along with my eagerly anticipated VHF G5.

It all comes down to what you want to listen to and where you find yourself traveling to. I would love to have a UHF G5 for the times I travel to NYC or Southern California. Something tells me it would survive the dense RF jungles of either region with flying colors.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
I'm in SW Ohio as well and in my area, I cannot get my Uniden BCD436HP to work well at all. I'm thinking of a G5 at the moment.

Each location is different, so it may work well for you. If you're thinking of a scanner, PM me and we can possibly meet somewhere and you can watch the 436 in action for you to decide.

Michelle0H

Okay, I'm pretty sure I've made up my mind on the Unification. It just seems the scanners won't work for me. :) At least it's a start. Now, do I need VHF? I'm not sure how to read the database for my area. I'll keep looking.

belvdr...thanks for your offer, but I don't think it will be necessary. I'm sure not much would change between our areas. (I'm in Xenia Township)

AzTac, I would love to have a Unication scanner and I don't understand why it can't be done! Thanks for all your info.

troymail

Silent Key
Okay, I'm pretty sure I've made up my mind on the Unification. It just seems the scanners won't work for me. :) At least it's a start. Now, do I need VHF? I'm not sure how to read the database for my area. I'll keep looking.

belvdr...thanks for your offer, but I don't think it will be necessary. I'm sure not much would change between our areas. (I'm in Xenia Township)

AzTac, I would love to have a Unication scanner and I don't understand why it can't be done! Thanks for all your info.

Most of what you'll listen to is probably here:
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=2068

and here:
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6643

jasonhouk

In order to make a truly informed decision on the model, exactly what agencies are you wanting to listen to?

Houk

radio3353

[Message snipped]

You need to stop thinking the Unication products are scanners. They are not. They are pagers. You can program them with multiple systems, but you can listen to only one system at a time. To listen to another system you turn a selection knob which will cut off the system you were just listening to.

Michelle0H

I never said the Unication products are scanners. What I said is I want a Unication scanner (for the reception quality).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.