RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Unication Forum

Unication Forum - Forum for discussion of Unication products.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2018, 9:32 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

T02 should go with 11Beta07.
They are working on new firmware T08 i believe which will go with 11Beta09
Sponsored links
Old 04-04-2018, 10:20 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmSixNine View Post
T02 should go with 11Beta07.
They are working on new firmware T08 i believe which will go with 11Beta09

Truth. I have T08 and it has 11beta09 included.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:46 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc View Post
I purchased my G5 over a year ago and paid for the Phase 2 upgrade at that time. I had to send my radio back to Unication for the upgrade. They received my radio on a Monday and I got it back that Wednesday. Very fast service. Anyway, the radio works great on P25 phase 2 systems. Firmware is V1.00-T02. The PPS is V0.3.11 Beta07. I live in Howard Co. MD and can now get the entire Prince Georges Co. P25 system. Police talkgroups are all phase 2 and come in fine. I can also get the south side (8C) zone too which is really good based on my distance from site. I can also hear Washington DC Fire/EMS without much problem.
Interesting - I was not aware you could pay in advance for Phase 2 ---

How were you notified about sending it in, etc?

I had a feeling this is where we were headed for the Phase 2 upgrades on existing pagers....
Old 04-04-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexmedic157 View Post
Truth. I have T08 and it has 11beta09 included.

Someone said the pre orders ship with a card with a drop box link to the updated pps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2018, 1:34 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I had been emailing John @ Unication regularly asking the status of the update. He told me to send it in for the upgrade. I sent my radio along with the receipt that showed I paid for the upgrade.
Sponsored links
Old 04-04-2018, 1:48 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
I had been emailing John @ Unication regularly asking the status of the update. He told me to send it in for the upgrade. I sent my radio along with the receipt that showed I paid for the upgrade.

Thatís strange. I was never offered to pre pay fir the upgrade which I would have gladly paid.

Old 04-04-2018, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmontes77029 View Post
Thatís strange. I was never offered to pre pay fir the upgrade which I would have gladly paid.

From what Iíve read here it doesnít seem like many ppl knew they could pre pay for the phase 2 upgrade and also get it so soon

Old 04-04-2018, 2:50 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsxfire View Post
From what Iíve read here it doesnít seem like many ppl knew they could pre pay for the phase 2 upgrade and also get it so soon

I wonder what they paid back then

Old 04-04-2018, 3:45 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Was there always a Stay/Unstay and Next softkey when you are receiving in a normal scan zone?

It sure would be nice to have it in trunk group scanning
Old 04-04-2018, 3:45 PM

Quote:
I had to send my radio back to Unication for the upgrade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by troymail View Post
I had a feeling this is where we were headed for the Phase 2 upgrades on existing pagers....
It seemed inevitable that Unication or their dealers would be involved with the upgrade. There is way too much for Unication to lose if they allowed the end user to upgrade the firmware themselves. I'm interested to see (once I have my unit) how the firmware is locked down on the unit.
Old 04-04-2018, 7:38 PM

Been playing around for about an hour or so with my G5 and I have the following thoughts so far:

-Very sensitive on 700/800 MHz.
With just the in-box stubby antenna, I'm able to pull in and lock on to a simulcast site that all my other scanners and SDR's can't due to terrain. (On the SE side of Eatonville & I can receive the Puyallup Simulcast of the Puyallup/Tacoma system)

-Not so hot on VHF but that was to be expected due to it being a public safety pager.
You want something just sensitive enough to hear the area paging/alerting channel and that's it. I can't get any of my area NOAA WX channels but I can hear the county wide fire channel just fine.

-Excellent sound.
The audio characteristics Unication chose for this vocoder implementation are excellent. Natural sounding but punchy enough to cut through a loud background. Reminds me a lot of my XPR7550E. I can hear the Unication pager over an angle grinder.

Belt clip is a little cheesy and might break if beaten up but I see that Unication offers a metal stud & swivel setup on their website. Might order one of those along with another battery. I guess this is the honeymoon period and we'll see after a trip into Seattle tomorrow along with a road trip across the Western US next week.
Old 04-04-2018, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglou0 View Post
I haven't but I ordered from Ray's.

Unication probably sent Ray's inventory out via UPS Ground or USPS due to the number of pagers they had to send out. Tuesday or Wednesday would be when they would show up IF they went out on Friday and don't get delayed by weather.

Then, you have to factor in the time it takes for them to inventory them, prep them for shipping, and getting them picked up by their delivery service. Even if it's for a few hundred units, that's a lot of work. I wouldn't expect to hear anything until Friday, the 6th or Monday, the 9th of April.
Got my P2 G5 today. Hoping to have time to get started programming soon
Old 04-04-2018, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglou0 View Post
-Excellent sound.
The audio characteristics Unication chose for this vocoder implementation are excellent. Natural sounding but punchy enough to cut through a loud background. Reminds me a lot of my XPR7550E. I can hear the Unication pager over an angle grinder.
This is excellent news. I had asked previously about the sound quality of the G4/G5 hoping it was not tinny. Thanks for reporting in.
Old 04-06-2018, 8:03 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I just received my G5 Phase 2 today! Actually a day early, now just need to get all sorted out in the PPS Software... lots to program from Like County Indiana Simlucast

Old 04-07-2018, 8:48 AM

https://youtu.be/8ZUGLwxmT_o

Old 04-07-2018, 9:03 AM

Default So Far So Great..

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMS911 View Post
Got my P2 G5 today. Hoping to have time to get started programming soon
Programmed several P2 sites and with some adjustments, this thing rocks !
Such an improvement over my 668, that it's hard to find much wrong with it. I knew coming into this what the limitations were; still I'm impressed.

A few adjustments like scan delay and hold would make it even better.
I do notice that it can not readily change from one site to another on the fly. Only an issue on one two departments I monitor, so I have to choose what I want to listen to from a site perspective, and program accordingly for the best results ( I'm sure there is still some user error here !)
Don't think that is much different than my old scanner, but it never did anything consistently, P2-wise, except garbled audio.

The programming is busy, but not difficult. I am no expert, and was able to figure it out fairly quickly.
Ray was good responding to my questions promptly, so the support is there as well.

Battery life is great, and the audio quality is good, much like my work radio.I do notice some volume reduction during a broadcast at times( starts loud/gets softer); not sure if this is a setting or what.
Driving around listening is possible here, so getting sites and TG's set to your normal travel/listening pattern would help, then just switch to that knob position to hear that area.
I think some type of mobile antenna setup would be helpful.

Still learning and adjusting things, but excited that I finally have a unit that receives P2 clearly and consistently.
Kudos to Unication and Rays Pager's for getting this out.
Hope to give it a good workout over the few weeks.
Old 04-07-2018, 9:53 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:

Such an improvement over my 668, that it's hard to find much wrong with it. I knew coming into this what the limitations were; still I'm impressed.

I do notice that it can not readily change from one site to another on the fly. Only an issue on one two departments I monitor, so I have to choose what I want to listen to from a site perspective, and program accordingly for the best results ( I'm sure there is still some user error here !)

Don't think that is much different than my old scanner, but it never did anything consistently, P2-wise, except garbled audio.

The programming is busy, but not difficult. I am no expert, and was able to figure it out fairly quickly.

Ray was good responding to my questions promptly, so the support is there as well.

Battery life is great, and the audio quality is good, much like my work radio.I do notice some volume reduction during a broadcast at times( starts loud/gets softer); not sure if this is a setting or what.

Driving around listening is possible here, so getting sites and TG's set to your normal travel/listening pattern would help, then just switch to that knob position to hear that area.

Still learning and adjusting things, but excited that I finally have a unit that receives P2 clearly and consistently.

I just picked mine up yesterday and the phase 2 on my scanner is garbage. This rig is great. No garbled transmissions. Donít want to burst anyones bubble that is waiting to upgrade to phase 2 but there is some this my dealer let me know. First, as many suspected, the units will most likely have to either be returned to the dealer ( if unication allows dealer to do upgrade) or to unication. Turn around time seems to be about a month. My dealer stated that it takes about 27 minutes to upgrade each unit. Times that by the many units they will be receiving for the upgrade. Also some may need new hardware depending on exact model. There will most likely be a charge to upgrade because dealers need to get paid. The worst part he said about a timeline for full release is it looks to be about 2 months. Heís hoping he is wrong. The good news is he has plenty of stock for those wanting to purchase and get same day if willing to pick up unit themselves. I sold mine so I could purchase the phase 2 one due to me being tired of waiting.

Old 04-07-2018, 10:15 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmontes77029 View Post
I just picked mine up yesterday and the phase 2 on my scanner is garbage. This rig is great. No garbled transmissions. Donít want to burst anyones bubble that is waiting to upgrade to phase 2 but there is some this my dealer let me know. First, as many suspected, the units will most likely have to either be returned to the dealer ( if unication allows dealer to do upgrade) or to unication. Turn around time seems to be about a month. My dealer stated that it takes about 27 minutes to upgrade each unit. Times that by the many units they will be receiving for the upgrade. Also some may need new hardware depending on exact model. There will most likely be a charge to upgrade because dealers need to get paid. The worst part he said about a timeline for full release is it looks to be about 2 months. Heís hoping he is wrong. The good news is he has plenty of stock for those wanting to purchase and get same day if willing to pick up unit themselves. I sold mine so I could purchase the phase 2 one due to me being tired of waiting.

At this point the units will most likely have to come back to us. The upgrade for each unit takes about 45 sec to a minute max and turn around should be fairly quick. No hardware upgrade is required its all software. We will be releasing a "path to upgrade" on or around the 15th of this month. Thank you for your patience.
Please email rather than PM this will insure that I see your message. David@unication.com
Old 04-07-2018, 10:32 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unication_David View Post
At this point the units will most likely have to come back to us. The upgrade for each unit takes about 45 sec to a minute max and turn around should be fairly quick. No hardware upgrade is required its all software. We will be releasing a "path to upgrade" on or around the 15th of this month. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you David for clarifying this with us.

Old 04-07-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:

Since getting mine Thursday I have tweaked the programming about 6 times, getting it zeroed in to how and what I want to listen to