• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G5 VHF/UHF reception compared to a scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I thought I read that the top external antenna on the G5 is for 700/800 MHz only; that for VHF and UHF, the antenna is internal. Is this correct? I was thinking of the G5 model with VHF for use on 700/800 P25 systems and also as a VHF railroad band monitor, but this makes me think a regular scanner might be better for the VHF portion. Opinions?

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Correct. 7/800 external antenna and VHF/UHF is an internal loop similar to a Minitor pager. I use a G5 UHF-H 7/800 and monitor several UHF trunked systems and have Countywide coverage. However, when I get outside the County I do lose my signal much quicker than the 7/800 systems I can monitor easily from outside the County.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your reply. I'm on the fence whether to go with a G4 or the G5 just to get VHF hi coverage, especially when VHF railroad is mostly simplex. If the VHF performance is going to be poor compared to a scanner I might just as well go with the G4 and use a scanner for VHF.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your reply. I'm on the fence whether to go with a G4 or the G5 just to get VHF hi coverage, especially when VHF railroad is mostly simplex. If the VHF performance is going to be poor compared to a scanner I might just as well go with the G4 and use a scanner for VHF.

If you're looking to monitor railroad, keep in mind they are also using NXdn and right now the Unication US pagers do not support that (their international pagers do though). :(

The dual antennas is one change I would like to see on the Unication scanners, allow the users to attach an antenna that best suits their needs.

troymail

Silent Key
...they are also using NXdn
... in limited locations -- it will obviously depend upon your location and what you are trying to monitor.

FWIW - Lots of folks are looking at using a Unication for various things - my opinion remains that it is the best thing out there right now for monitoring P25 simulcast systems - at least Phase 1 (but hopefully something will be announced soon/today about Phase 2!).

I suspect most folks are looking at - well, if I pay another $100 I can get at least one other band in the same radio... which is true... and it is a tough decision. Still, I'd stick to scanners for other than the simulcast solution (if you can do both).
The dual antennas is one change I would like to see on the Unication scanners, allow the users to attach an antenna that best suits their needs.
You meant "pagers" right? :lol:

I agree - tie the internal antenna connection to the external antenna port... give users more flexibility.

JSsignal16

Premium Subscriber
I have a G5 VHF and for me the VHF band works fairly well in fact if it's stationary next to my scanner it does just as good if not better. I've tested it scanning several VHF frequencies around me, even fairly distant ones, granted most are repeated higher power transmissions. The disadvantages to the internal antenna show when I'm mobile especially in a vehicle where I get a greater amount of attenuation than a scanner and have a greater difficulty getting weaker signals. I personally like the deeper and louder sounding analog audio of the G5 over the scanner. It does a better job with narrow band frequencies than a scanner and it also decodes MDC signaling which none of my scanners can do. I listen to railroads with my G5 and it does fairly well as long as I'm not in a vehicle.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
- at least Phase 1 (but hopefully something will be announced soon/today about Phase 2!).

I assume you mean for existing G4/G5 owners? Unless I'm mistaken, I can go to Ray's Pagers and buy a phase 2 capable G4/G5 pager right now.

troymail

Silent Key
I assume you mean for existing G4/G5 owners? Unless I'm mistaken, I can go to Ray's Pagers and buy a phase 2 capable G4/G5 pager right now.

True - I couldn't win on this one -- If I said (generically) that it was already Phase 2, folks (like me) who are awaiting the existing owner Phase 2 upgrade path details would pounce.

The real point is - as stated (my opinion of course) - is that if you are buying a Unication, you are most likely buying it to deal with simulcast. I've programmed lots of other things into mine but in a simulcast area, it's simulcast all day, every day so the other stuff really doesn't matter much or at all (for me).

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I would have to agree with troymail.
The primary function of my G4 is to handle what my scanner wont or has issues with.
So for me its almost always on a trunking system.
I do have some conventional channels in it but almost never go to them.
Even when my scanner does work well with a system i still prefer the size, audio, battery life of my G4. So that has become my primary Listen device. Which has opened up my scanner to do more with DMR.

Status
Not open for further replies.