RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Unication Forum

Unication Forum - Forum for discussion of Unication products.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-13-2018, 1:21 PM

Default Will G5 work on a SmartZone system in migration to p25?

Help me understand the G5

I just came across this device and think it will help me with the problems I have encountered with the RadioShack Pro-668 SCAN. I simply donít get all the transmissions anymore.

Moving on, I like everything about the G5 from durability, size, testimonials, etc. and with hurricane season approaching I certainly want to have something that will keep me in the loop if something comes my way.

The county I live in is currently migrating from a Motorola Type II SmartZone to a ďP25Ē system. Ill be honest I donít understand a lot about digital vs analog theory, but I do have a basic understanding of trunking, repeaters, conventional, and TGIDs.

My question is, why would a G5 not work with a smartzone system that is transmitting digital/analog signals? Isnít p25 just a public standard as I read, rather than a type of transmission/technology in itself? P25 signals still transmit along the same frequencies, donít they? if anything it would seem to me that if something is capable of receiving P25 it can handle anything less than that standard, is this correct?

Forgive me if mistaking, I made a reasonable effort to figure this out.
Sponsored links
Old 09-13-2018, 1:32 PM
KE4ZNR@radioreference.com
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisw8189 View Post
Help me understand the G5

I just came across this device and think it will help me with the problems I have encountered with the RadioShack Pro-668 SCAN. I simply donít get all the transmissions anymore.

Moving on, I like everything about the G5 from durability, size, testimonials, etc. and with hurricane season approaching I certainly want to have something that will keep me in the loop if something comes my way.

The county I live in is currently migrating from a Motorola Type II SmartZone to a ďP25Ē system. Ill be honest I donít understand a lot about digital vs analog theory, but I do have a basic understanding of trunking, repeaters, conventional, and TGIDs.

My question is, why would a G5 not work with a smartzone system that is transmitting digital/analog signals? Isnít p25 just a public standard as I read, rather than a type of transmission/technology in itself? P25 signals still transmit along the same frequencies, donít they? if anything it would seem to me that if something is capable of receiving P25 it can handle anything less than that standard, is this correct?

Forgive me if mistaking, I made a reasonable effort to figure this out.
If the system still has a 3600bps Control Channel (which a mixed analog & digital system would be) then a Unication pager would not work on the system. Unication pagers only work on Pure P25 9600bps Control Channel systems.
We have this issue here in Central NC where the majority of systems use a P25 9600bps CC except for Wake County which still uses a 3600bps CC. Wake is in the process of upgrading their radio system but until they do a Unication Pager is a no-go.
Marshall KE4ZNR

@KE4ZNR on Twitter
Old 09-13-2018, 5:36 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

It does and does not work.
I have a very large multi site type2 system. EMS is analog police is P25 3600. I put all voice channels excluding the control channel as a P25 Conventional system in the pager, put it in a scan list and add the talkgroups i want to listen to and set it to selective call and is working fine. If i go into monitor mode its like having search mode enabled on the scanner, picks up all talkgroups off that site even it its not in the pager.

Down side is on a busy busy system you cant follow a conversation all to well, site i listen to has little other p26 traffic on it so for my needs.. it works good on vhf
Old 09-14-2018, 8:25 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Another reason it doesnt work on Type 2 systems aka analog (yes some type 2 systems can have digital channels but they are not the Phase 1 or 2 digital we are used to its P16 compliant not P25) is licensing. To properly trunk track a Type 2 system Unication would have to license and pay MSI for the proprietary software required to do it correctly. Plus its an end of life technology and Motorola no longer supports the old analog systems so dumping money into a technology thats been phased out is a bad business decision.
Old 09-14-2018, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE4ZNR View Post
If the system still has a 3600bps Control Channel (which a mixed analog & digital system would be) then a Unication pager would not work on the system. Unication pagers only work on Pure P25 9600bps Control Channel systems.
We have this issue here in Central NC where the majority of systems use a P25 9600bps CC except for Wake County which still uses a 3600bps CC. Wake is in the process of upgrading their radio system but until they do a Unication Pager is a no-go.
Marshall KE4ZNR
Thanks for the responses. How can one know if a system is 3600 or 9600bps? I am going to try and learn a little more about p25. To clarify "bps" is a transfer rate right?
Sponsored links
Old 09-14-2018, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmSixNine View Post
Another reason it doesnt work on Type 2 systems aka analog (yes some type 2 systems can have digital channels but they are not the Phase 1 or 2 digital we are used to its P16 compliant not P25) is licensing. To properly trunk track a Type 2 system Unication would have to license and pay MSI for the proprietary software required to do it correctly. Plus its an end of life technology and Motorola no longer supports the old analog systems so dumping money into a technology thats been phased out is a bad business decision.
So type 2 is always analog, and phase 1 or 2 is always digital? I also would like to know how it can be proprietary...is that because the motorola transmissions are encoded in a format that not all radios can decode? Is that why P25 now exists? To limit that sort of proprietary encoding?

I am not a ham radio operator but something is appealing about learning about digital radio.
Old 09-16-2018, 8:36 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisw8189 View Post
So type 2 is always analog, and phase 1 or 2 is always digital? I also would like to know how it can be proprietary...is that because the motorola transmissions are encoded in a format that not all radios can decode? Is that why P25 now exists? To limit that sort of proprietary encoding?

I am not a ham radio operator but something is appealing about learning about digital radio.
The control channel is 3600bps with proprietary Motorola messaging vs 9600bps P25 messaging. Similar but different, and not an open published standard like P25.

Tags
p25, scanning, smartzone