RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Unication Forum

Unication Forum - Forum for discussion of Unication products.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2018, 10:16 AM

Location: Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious Arm, SOL system, Earth, California, Bay Area.

mitbr - Its quite simple really. Because the Unication line uses Narrowband reception it can make a superior radio. Unication can make a smaller and compact Receiver as well as shield it better from Noise and Interference.
Scanners by nature are Wideband and operate in Blocks of Frequencies. they are prone to Out of Band noise and Interference from AM and FM Broadcast radio. Which is why I use a BNC FM Filter attached to my Handheld Antenna. for AIR shows I use a AM Filter that filters AM Radio from strong Broadcasters.
I also have Communication Receivers like the ICOM R30 that has a Wideband Continious Coverage.
the ICOM gets 100Khz - 3304 Mhz (cell blocked) , but the Tuner in the ICOM is superior, I can Hear more , and more Clearly with an ICOM than any other scanner. but the ICOM does not Trunktrack.
the ICOM is inherently more Sensitive to Fringe transmissions and less prone to Receive noise or Interference, due to its superior Receiver design. ICOM also comes with Built in filtering for AM and Noise Balance . I rarely have to use any BNC filters for my ICOM , but it does improve it somewhat.
Sponsored links
Old 12-07-2018, 5:30 PM

Smile

Thanks for everyone's responses!!
The consensus seems to be that the Unication pagers are band limited and therefore will perform better than a broad spectrum receiver which makes good sense.
All I know is that driving down the road with my G5 in the cup holder of my car with its stubby antenna it has loud audio and is easily heard even at highway speeds and is rock solid never misses a beat.
If I could only convince more people to try it sigh..... there loss i guess.
Tim
Old 12-07-2018, 7:10 PM

That's what amazes me about my G4 too...it's way down low in my SUV cupholder with a stubby antenna and provides perfect reception, as if I had a mobile antenna.

And that narrowband design is, simply put, superior and solid in ways most of us wouldn't really understand. Which is ok, because even though I wonder as well...I just turn it on and enjoy it.

For the people who bash it ("it's not a true scanner", and, I was even told by a major Uniden blowhard that I was lying about its performance), well...perhaps it's not for them anyway. Just as well.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2018, 1:14 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I would use one TG per knob position, but one downfall with this radio that I wish they would fix is the inability to change zones while the radio is receiving a signal. The only option is to keep one knob position un-programmed in each zone, limiting its capacity even more. Otherwise the radio works great and I accept the lack of scanner features, but I would like to see a hold and delay. function.
Old 12-08-2018, 8:41 AM

I do this: position 8 scans all TGs in the zone. But I make position 7 contain lesser used TGs whenever possible, like Special Event, TAC, a smaller agency, etc. So 7 allows an easier change.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2018, 12:29 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

I have both sds100 and g4, the sds100 is about as good as the g4 but it is so bulky with the new battery and the long rs800 i have to run, i only use it as a base but my g4 goes with me everywhere in my shirt pocket and the battery last 12-14 hours vs sds100 7-8 hrs with the big battery.