RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Advanced Technical Topics

Uniden Advanced Technical Topics For all threads regarding technical performance of specific models or general higher tier, technically oriented discussion of the technology used in Uniden scanners. Please use the Tech Support forum for all normal questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 3:28 PM

I was thinking the same thing because when I updated my xt it was simulcast hell so back I went to the older firmware and it breaks up about 10 to 15 times a day not bad but the new 36 needs to have the new firmware I think.
Sponsored links
Old 02-10-2014, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTER View Post
I was thinking the same thing because when I updated my xt it was simulcast hell so back I went to the older firmware and it breaks up about 10 to 15 times a day not bad but the new 36 needs to have the new firmware I think.
This has me mystified. I understand the new firmware is required to get all the features but how in the world can it mess up simulcast as much as users are seeing?
Old 02-10-2014, 4:11 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTER View Post
Hi Scooter,

How did you manage to create a "back-up" of the original firmware and then re-load it on the scanner?

Thanks.
Old 02-10-2014, 4:37 PM

I will PM you we cant talk about that in this thread.
Old 02-11-2014, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Sounds like I would leave that radio untouched ,dont update the firmware,if it works,keep it!
I updated the firmware...no noticeable changes in P25 decoding. Still great.
Sponsored links
Old 02-12-2014, 8:43 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Got mine yesterday. Both before and after the firmware update, excellent reception and decoding on the Greater Austin/Travis Regional Radio System simulcast towers. At least from my end, job well done, Uniden!
Old 02-12-2014, 2:18 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Just a report for the 436hp on a confirmed simulcast county on Indiana's SafeT system. The 396xt handles it pretty well with p25 mode 11 and level 50 adjustment. Low error rates and it does about the same throughout the county. Very readable most of the time. Now there is a local p25 system off the state wide SAFEt system and the 396xt does a average job on it. Many more errors, usable but misses a lot.

Now on to the 436. Works perfect at home which is on the outside edge of the county close (~5mi) to a tower. I'm talking 0-3 error rate sounds darn near as good as my xts3000. And the non SafeT p25 system...Holy smokes pulls like a freight train. Sounds great with low errors rates. However when I travel further into the county getting closer to other towers simulcast hell takes over quick;y. Where the 396xt performed about the same throughout the 436 starts up with 50, 60 errors rates as I leave my neighborhood, some tx's are ok then others are completely gone. I've tried a bunch of antennas, ATT, paperclip, it's almost unusable in it's current state. If I wasn't so amazed with its performance at home and my faith that Uniden can tweak things it would be gone.

I updated the firmware as soon as I got it so I can't comment on that side of things. I've grown to really like the new screen and software and the record function is great...If only it was more than a base station at the moment.
Old 02-12-2014, 5:20 PM
Lead Wiki Manager
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubs0980 View Post
However when I travel further into the county getting closer to other towers simulcast hell takes over quick;y.
It would be helpful if you would identify which county you're talking about.

"The whole world's living in a digital dream. It's not really there, it's all on the screen." -- Joe Walsh WB6ACU
Old 02-12-2014, 6:03 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Certainly. St. Joseph county Indiana
St Joseph County Simulcast Site Details (Indiana Project Hoosier SAFE-T)
Sponsored links
Old 02-13-2014, 5:43 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Simulcast

I have had my BCD436HP for a few days:
Using an outside antenna on the roof of my truck, a SpectrumForce wide band antenna, a $20 dollar antenna. Which works well.
Listening to Canandaigua NY, Ontario County Police on Project 25 Phase I, APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive, simulcast. 95% reception when mobile.

Voices sound ok, however Geneva NY is on the same frequencies and they are the only ones that sound bassy.

Rochester NY, Monroe County police on P25 UHF frequencies, not trunked, 95% reception when mobile.

Like the Radio very much
Old 02-13-2014, 6:15 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; LG-LS720 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonScanner
Quote:
Sounds like I would leave that radio untouched ,dont update the firmware,if it works,keep it!
I updated the firmware...no noticeable changes in P25 decoding. Still great.
So has anyone noticed IMPROVED reception with the firmware upgrade? I never upgraded my 436. P25 decoding on a very distant phase 1 is improved over PSR 800. Phase 2 system in my local is much improved over the 800 but it crackles and pops. Motorola digital decode (CAI) and control channel decode no change over the PSR 800 or the 396. EDACS CC decoding on the 436 very disappointing. I was hoping for improvement here So if I update I kinda dont want to mess anything up. It would be nice if it would improve reception. If it doesnt do anything I wont do the update.

Last edited by policefreak; 02-13-2014 at 6:17 PM..
Old 02-14-2014, 9:29 AM

I am less than 5 miles from a NJICS site and my 436 is showing full bars (I am measuring -86dB elsewhere) and the scanner is not passing any audio; its not even stopping on TGs in either ID scan or ID search. I am watching the same site on trunker and there is plenty of both TDMA and FDMA activity.

I programmed the system using sentinel, latest DB, latest firmware. All avoids are off.

Other Phase 1 and Mot Type II systems in the area decode as they should.

Any ideas?
Old 02-14-2014, 10:25 AM

Default How about Lucas County OH Simulcast reception?

So, does this new Uniden Home Patrol do a better job of decoding the control channel on a Moto 9600 P25 CQPSK simulcast system than a PRO-96 tries to? (ie: NW Ohio/Lucas County system)

Does the 436 HP do Motortrbo too or just P25 digital?
Thanks,
J
Old 02-14-2014, 10:46 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelForFire View Post
I am less than 5 miles from a NJICS site and my 436 is showing full bars (I am measuring -86dB elsewhere) and the scanner is not passing any audio; its not even stopping on TGs in either ID scan or ID search. I am watching the same site on trunker and there is plenty of both TDMA and FDMA activity.

I programmed the system using sentinel, latest DB, latest firmware. All avoids are off.

Other Phase 1 and Mot Type II systems in the area decode as they should.

Any ideas?
Some possibilities:

Is the NJICS site receivable by other scanners? This would eliminate ENC problems.

Did you program via Sentinel manually or use "append to favorites" from the RR Database?
I did a manual program about a year ago and did not get the kind of system correct & had your same problem.

What kind of antenna are you using?
Outside antenna may need attenuation & or change in type? Simulcast problem?
Inside antenna may need to be moved to a different spot? Simulcast problem?

Double check the cc frequency that was programed.

Are you sure there is "voice" available on the frequencies and not just Data?

Most of the other things I can think of like "Service Types, Avoids, Monitor/Download ON, location based scanning not turned on", etc. all result in NOT getting anything but you are getting the signal but no Voice.

Maybe some others will jump and help too.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:19 AM

Thanks for your reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0UDG View Post
Some possibilities:
Is the NJICS site receivable by other scanners? This would eliminate ENC problems.
There is very little ENC on this site. I have confirmed activity on non-encrypted TGs on trunker.

Quote:
Did you program via Sentinel manually or use "append to favorites" from the RR Database?
I did a manual program about a year ago and did not get the kind of system correct & had your same problem.
I am pulled the entire system out of the DB. I have confirmed that the right CC and voice channels are in the DB.

Quote:
What kind of antenna are you using?
Outside antenna may need attenuation & or change in type? Simulcast problem?
Inside antenna may need to be moved to a different spot? Simulcast problem?
I am using the stock antenna. Its sitting next to an XG-100 portable which receives the same site just fine. and next to another scanner used to run trunker (where I am getting the -83dB on what has to be an inferior antenna to the one on the 436).

Quote:
Double check the cc frequency that was programed.
Its correct in the DB.

Quote:
Are you sure there is "voice" available on the frequencies and not just Data?
Yes trunker is showing tons of voice channel activity on TG's which I confirmed are programmed into the favorites list correctly.

Quote:
Most of the other things I can think of like "Service Types, Avoids, Monitor/Download ON, location based scanning not turned on", etc. all result in NOT getting anything but you are getting the signal but no Voice.

Maybe some others will jump and help too.
Checked those as well. If I load a second system (none Phase II) into the same favorites list I only receive that second system.
Sponsored links
Old 02-14-2014, 3:46 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelForFire View Post
Thanks for your reply!

There is very little ENC on this site. I have confirmed activity on non-encrypted TGs on trunker.

I am pulled the entire system out of the DB. I have confirmed that the right CC and voice channels are in the DB.

I am using the stock antenna. Its sitting next to an XG-100 portable which receives the same site just fine. and next to another scanner used to run trunker (where I am getting the -83dB on what has to be an inferior antenna to the one on the 436).

Its correct in the DB.

Yes trunker is showing tons of voice channel activity on TG's which I confirmed are programmed into the favorites list correctly.

Checked those as well. If I load a second system (none Phase II) into the same favorites list I only receive that second system.
Have you tried posting in the forum the state the site is in to see if they are having problems with this site?

Last edited by N0UDG; 02-14-2014 at 3:47 PM.. Reason: left out one word
Old 02-14-2014, 9:25 PM

Default Uniden X36 Simulcast Performance Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyelectron View Post
So, does this new Uniden Home Patrol do a better job of decoding the control channel on a Moto 9600 P25 CQPSK simulcast system than a PRO-96 tries to?.....Does the 436 HP do Motortrbo too or just P25 digital?.....
I think almost any of the digital, trunking scanning made after the PRO-96 and PRO-2096 do a better job than they did.

The 436/536 do not decode MOTOTRBO.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:42 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyelectron View Post
So, does this new Uniden Home Patrol do a better job of decoding the control channel on a Moto 9600 P25 CQPSK simulcast system than a PRO-96 tries to? (ie: NW Ohio/Lucas County system)

Does the 436 HP do Motortrbo too or just P25 digital?
Thanks,
J
I have the 536 and I consider my home 20 to be simulcast reception hell, The 536 for me works good on the lucas county simulcast system. I use a 800mhz yagi pointed directly at the tower at detroit and glendale.

PSR-600
BCD996T
PRO2096
785D
Kenwood TS2000
Kenwood TMD700
Old 02-24-2014, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIP View Post
I have the 536 and I consider my home 20 to be simulcast reception hell, The 536 for me works good on the lucas county simulcast system. I use a 800mhz yagi pointed directly at the tower at detroit and glendale.
Glad things are working for you. Give a listen to this 536HP feed - god awful compared to GRE500

Montgomery County Fire and Police
Old 02-24-2014, 1:57 PM

So what's the verdict here folks? In the P25 9600 multi-site simulcast hellholes - without a yagi antenna - which unit is better: GRE500, 536HP, or another GRE unit? (or wait for yet another round?)
All I know for sure is that using an 800MHz yagi, I cannot receive a CQPSK simulcast system using a (*@!^&*#) PRO-96!