BCD536HP discovery mode bug (same as HP1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericcarlson

Database Admin
The BCD536HP has the same bug I already reported to Paul in the HP1 with Discovery mode. The search hangs up forever on a P25 control channel with the Avoid button disabled so you can't move past it. This is demonstrated with the 407.8375 MHz P25 control channel in Houston. Discovery mode is useless if it includes the P25 control channel in the search range. I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this issue or if there is some oddity of the control channel in Houston.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
You'd think Beta testing would have caught that.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Confirmed on a VHF P25 control channel with an HP-1. Search stops and the Avoid button doesn't work.

Last edited:

Jake68111

Yes, I have experienced this as well with a Motorola Type II SmartZone Omnilink System (Commonwealth Edison/Exelon (Northern IL) on a HomePatrol here in Grundy County, IL. I started a thread about a year ago on this issue with no good result. I was intermittently able to get past the freq by turning my attenuator on but that didn't do the trick 100% of the time.

It is a very aggravating problem.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
I just noticed this also when I tried out this feature with the 536. This isn't exactly a trivial, or even minor, bug. It basically kills the feature in the radio.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
question

The BCD536HP has the same bug I already reported to Paul in the HP1 with Discovery mode. The search hangs up forever on a P25 control channel with the Avoid button disabled so you can't move past it. This is demonstrated with the 407.8375 MHz P25 control channel in Houston. Discovery mode is useless if it includes the P25 control channel in the search range. I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this issue or if there is some oddity of the control channel in Houston.

As I'm considering adding the extreme features to my HP-1, this is good information to know about.

I'm assuming you have to turn the scanner off and then back on, and then restart the search to "solve" the problem?

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
and why has this not been fixed all ready for the HP-1??

Because they "moved on" to bigger and better things So, why would they need to do anything for us HP-1 owners?

This has been happening for TWO years with my HP. Every time I do a discovery it does it. Even in conventional mode it will hang on a frequency and NOT let you select avoid.

I have however found that walking around moving the scanner around in the air WITH antenna connected you can get the hung up channel to "Squelch" and quickly select the avoid button while active to avoid it.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator

Forgot to ask, I assume you are using the most current FW?

tommypierson

Paul, any input on this? is this at least being worked on? if so, will the hp1 get the fix, or only the new scanners?

Good LUCK!!!! Every time any questions arise that pertain to the HP1 Paul is nowhere to be found.

UPMAn your lack of acknowledgement of a firmware issue that's been reported here in many forums and on yahoo and twitter.

Paul i'm sure you have read this thread???? You have posted on other threads sense this thread was started.

Don't get me wrong, I like my HP1 and Uniden BUT, I really want to pull the trigger on a new 536 and would like to purchase a Extreme Upgrade for my HP1 TODAY but I will not until this gets address.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
This is not good! Apparently they not only brought over HP1 features into the new models, but bugs as well. This makes me reluctant to invest in new equipment right now. Even at $499.99 for a 436HP, that is still a huge chuck of change for most folks. I hope Uniden addresses this issue soon.

Manny

SquierStrat

i agree. id have more respect for the company if they at least acknowledged the problem and admitted they dont have a fix for it yet, instead of outright ignoring the issue.

safetyobc

While I do agree that bugs are annoying I won't go so far to say I won't buy something because it doesn't work 100% perfectly. By that logic, who among you would own any electronic? Computers, iPads, Android tablets, smartphones, etc, etc, etc. Even if this bug exists, I will still buy them. I rarely use the scanners to search a range of frequencies and even more rare is P25 conventional channels in my area. I now some have several and want to find them and can see where this may be an issue. To each his own.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
While I do agree that bugs are annoying I won't go so far to say I won't buy something because it doesn't work 100% perfectly. By that logic, who among you would own any electronic? Computers, iPads, Android tablets, smartphones, etc, etc, etc.

The difference is that when I buy these things you mentioned, I don't buy them already knowing there is a problem that the manufacturer is aware of and has yet to address! Imagine if a car dealer says to you " this car is brand new, it has a XXXX problem, the factory has known about it, hasnt addressed it, not sure if they're going to address it, but please, buy the car anyway." This is the problem that exists right now. Without knowing what OTHER new issues will come up once these production units get in the field, they are already starting out with one they do know about and have yet to address. When Uniden decided to come out with models that include features from a previous model, the first thing they should have done is look at the bugs or issues with the current model ( HP1) and make sure they do not transfer over to the new models BEFORE they are fixed. It's just that simple.

Manny

Last edited:

tommypierson

i agree. id have more respect for the company if they at least acknowledged the problem and admitted they dont have a fix for it yet, instead of outright ignoring the issue.

DING DING!!!!!!!!!!! WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!

And Paul is still posting today.......Just not in this thread!!!!! =(

Status
Not open for further replies.