RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Bug Reports

Uniden Bug Reports Use this forum for serious discussion of possible or known bugs (e.g., design flaws) or critical issues specific to certain models. Please use the Uniden Tavern forum for rants about deficiencies or flaws in hardware.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 12:12 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
I find that for now, it works in just plugging in my Sony headphones about halfway in to the rear port to force mono out both ear cups. Sounds cleaner too...

I am a bit disappointed and have put the radio away and brought back the HP- for day to day listening until I hear more about the resolution of the problem.

Tomorrow I will contact Ham Station to see what their return policy is. Don't want to wait until it is too late to return the unit.

Hoping for good news soon.

Thanks
Do you have any outboard DSP units you could use between the headphone out and your headphones?

I have several different kinds, some are analog (M&M Audio filter MS) but my favorite digital DSP is the Timewave DSP-599zx. Most ham gear have these build in to them to some degree but we have one local PD that is so strong that it will register 5 bars without an antenna but it has has terrible S/N ratio and without the DSP it would be fatiguing to listen to. I have been told it is do to the multiple UHF voter towers used through the city to pick up the mobile units and then down-convert them to VHF back to Dispatcher. It also has long squelch tails which are really the towers waiting and then release their carriers. I have tried attenuation and without an antenna but the hiss is still present big time.

Another possibility, I use to add capacitors to external speakers to reduce their frequency response so I could reduce the "hiss" of HF and it helped some. Do you think this would be of any value, like a project box between your headphones and the 536?

But like you I think the fix will probably require you to send the 536 in for surgery. Interestingly it appears the 436 does not have this problem.
Sponsored links
Old 01-29-2014, 7:47 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaesumofo View Post
just a BIG THUMP before a transmission is passed to the speakers.
Being the Yaesumofo that you are ...recall the VR-500 has a setting to keep the headphone audio amp ON continuously, which completely eliminates the thump. I always use it. If Uniden provided control of that final amp...
Old 01-29-2014, 9:32 AM
FL, GA, AL, MS Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Just trying to have a positive outlook. I know some users use the headset jack daily. Luckily I never use it so maybe thats why I'm not as upset as others. I only use earbuds with my handhelds and the 436 review has been positive.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:47 PM

received mine yesterday and I use ear buds exclusively. I find it on par with my old radio shack unit. I dont think its too bad. but being a 600 dollar unit I would have expected no white noise.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
However, I believe this is a special situation as the units are new, most were waiting for them and the advertised features (siren app for example) and a lot of folks are reporting the issue. Maybe it would be prudent to speak to it in some degree.
I agree the app is why I bought it.
Sponsored links
Old 01-29-2014, 12:54 PM
Temporarily Banned
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Well hopefully its a firmware fix " I hope"

If not then shipping it in for repair on a brand new item is not going to make me jump for joy.

Maybe Uniden can ship out new units to the people that are having this issue and we ship back our defective units back in the box the way we got it new. I think its a fair deal since we were the first Guinea Pigs to dive into the the deep blue sea.
Old 01-29-2014, 2:05 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsima1 View Post
Well hopefully its a firmware fix " I hope"

If not then shipping it in for repair on a brand new item is not going to make me jump for joy.

Maybe Uniden can ship out new units to the people that are having this issue and we ship back our defective units back in the box the way we got it new. I think its a fair deal since we were the first Guinea Pigs to dive into the the deep blue sea.
entirely possible, with a $600 deposit.. thats how asus handled my motherboard recall.
Old 01-29-2014, 2:13 PM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

We are looking into this report.
Old 01-29-2014, 2:14 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I don't use headphones all that often, but I just tested mine anyhow and yup, that is horrible. Add one more too the list of the nasty hiss sound.
TH-72A, Icom T7H, RS Pro 83, Uniden Washington
Sponsored links
Old 01-29-2014, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquierStrat View Post
entirely possible, with a $600 deposit.. thats how asus handled my motherboard recall.
I would do a $600 deposit as opposed to not have the unit for a few weeks. Sounds good.
Old 01-29-2014, 2:20 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I understand that, by virtue of how the world works, there has to be SOMEONE who will be the first ones to buy a new product. Unfortunate for them. As far as I am concerned I will continue to wait it out.
Old 01-29-2014, 2:47 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I use headphones at night so that my wife doesn't have to hear.. mine is having the same issue.. I have had to turn the unit up louder to compensate for the noise. If I unplug the headphones it is perfect... but my wife gets mad

Wish this app was out so I could just move the unit elsewhere and use the tablet in bed like I had planned
Old 01-29-2014, 2:49 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Headphone Related Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPMan View Post
1) During transmission or in-between (or both).
2) If during, analog, digital, or both (or is one worse than the other).
3) SN of your unit.
1. During transmission
2. Both
3. 375Z38002043
Old 01-29-2014, 5:08 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default A Work Around to use the rear speaker jack for a speaker and a headphone

Using the connectors as described below should make the scanner usable till a factory fix comes out.

1. Connect this jack to rear of scanner. 3 5mm Mono Plug to 1 8" 3 5mm Stereo Jack Headphone Headset Adapter Converter | eBay

2. Connect this jack to No. 1 jack. 3 5mm Stereo Audio Y Splitter 2 Female to 1 Dual Male Cable Adapter for Earphone | eBay

3.Connect this jack to No. 2 jack. New Koss VC20 in Line Headphone Volume Control for iPod MP3 VC 20 | eBay

You now have two stereo connectors that will have the mono audio from the scanner in both Left and Right ears. Plug your amplified, computer speakers in one of the two available jacks.
This will allow you to set the front volume control high enough for a set of amplified computer speakers. You would then adjust the volume of the speakers with the computer speaker control without touching the front volume control of the scanner. Then connect your headphones to Jack No.3 and adjust the volume with that control on that adapter.
Don't have a 536 but had a problem like this on another piece of gear and it worked for me.
Old 01-29-2014, 5:15 PM

Another option would be to use headphone jack on speakers in the above example minus the splitter.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Sponsored links
Old 01-29-2014, 8:35 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have put the radio away and using the HP-1 once again. I hope to hear good news before the end of the week.

Thank you.
Old 01-29-2014, 8:57 PM
Temporarily Banned
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

HAHA. Funny. I spent 600 bucks and put it away and I am back to using my BCD996XT when I need to use earbuds late at night so the wife doesn't jump down my throat.

Women just think its just garbage to listen to a scanner radio. O well back to the BCD996XT for now.

Party on everybody. 6 one hundred dollars bills. O well you can't take it with you when the lights get turned out by your maker.
Old 01-29-2014, 9:02 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Yeah my main problem is that my speakers are never on. I live on my headset because my radio is in the living room. Wife would definitely kill me if I ran NYPD and FDNY all day LOL. Tomorrow I may run my speaker out into a Behringer mixer I have... maybe just pipe the computer, 536HP, HP-1 and IC7000 to it and then the headphones to that.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:55 AM
Temporarily Banned
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPMan View Post
1) During transmission or in-between (or both).
2) If during, analog, digital, or both (or is one worse than the other).
3) SN of your unit.

Upman:

Not sure if you have any answers yet from the engineering team about the headphone jack related issue.

Was wondering if the radio is going to need a firmware release to fix this issue or is this a hardware flaw that is going to require all of us that bought one of these radios from beginning to ship it in for repair or what Uniden is going to do to resolve this hissing white noise problem.

The reason I am asking is that I ordered a second BCD536HP and I received it yesterday but have not opend the shipping box or the radio until we can get an answer on what the fix may be.

If its going to take a lot of energy from me to get it fixed through Uniden then I will probably just ship the radio back un-opened and get a credit back.

Hopefully we can get some sort of answer by the end of Friday.

thanks
Old 01-30-2014, 12:02 PM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I am not expecting to have an answer this week.