RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Bug Reports

Uniden Bug Reports Use this forum for serious discussion of possible or known bugs (e.g., design flaws) or critical issues specific to certain models. Please use the Uniden Tavern forum for rants about deficiencies or flaws in hardware.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2014, 12:23 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

That's kind of making me wonder now if it's some were in audio output streaming to ear Jack) The sound I assume is normal coming out of the main speaker but when a set of earphones are connected it produces the sound I wonder if there needs to be some kind of isolation put between the board and the Jack to isolate "quiet" the sound or eliminate it all together..
Sponsored links
Old 02-03-2014, 12:26 AM

It just blows me away that the headphone jack was not tested. That is a huge part of the radio that users are wanting and the other older units work just fine like the BCD996XT. They made thousands of these units and you would of thought that quality control would of found this on the first few units sent from the factories over seas. These proto-types then were sent to Uniden for testing and also then sent to beta-testers and then the beta-testers and Uniden did not notice this issue until they hit the streets and then I noticed it.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:20 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default BCD536HP Headphone Related Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPMan View Post
I would like to have an answer sooner, but unfortunately I won't.
Can you speak to the general response to the issue by Uniden?
Will this issue be fixed? Will all 536 owners be given the opportunity to have the issue repaired at unidens expense?
What do we have to look forward to?
I'm not actually looking for a timeline ( though that would be nice)
Clearly there is an issue, will Uniden acknowledge this officially?

I don't think it is unreasonable to expect an answer on these questions.
I have no doubt Uniden has a large investment in this radio as the flagship of the line.

So where do we stand?
Thanks
Yaesumofo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
BC-780
VR 500
Icom R20
BC-250
Just to name a few
Old 02-03-2014, 12:30 PM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Until we have properly studied, none of those questions can be answered.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:37 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPMan View Post
Until we have properly studied, none of those questions can be answered.
Not even an official acknowledgement that the problem exists? That it will be fixed no matter what? That we care about our customers enough to make a commitment to solve a major issue?
That seems a bit too diplomatic from this corner.

Something along these lines MIGHT make some of the early adopters (paying beta testers) feel a little better about being an early adopter.

It's a great radio I love mine but this is a glaring defect without a doubt.

Yaesumofo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
BC-780
VR 500
Icom R20
BC-250
Just to name a few
Sponsored links
Old 02-03-2014, 12:52 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Paul, is there an official support forum on Uniden's website for the radio in general? I looked and searched by the model isn't even listed in the drop down menus.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2014, 12:57 PM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Categories - Community, but we use RadioReference, as well.
Old 02-03-2014, 1:35 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Location: Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaesumofo View Post
Not even an official acknowledgement that the problem exists? That it will be fixed no matter what? That we care about our customers enough to make a commitment to solve a major issue?
That seems a bit too diplomatic from this corner.
I'm sure that UPMan and Uniden are very committed to fixing this issue as soon as they can. We have to be mindful that while most of us can get on here and say whatever we feel like, UPMan's posts are watched very closely by his employer and if he posts something his employer can't guarantee, then he could potentially lose his job (and let's be honest, most of us would KILL to be considered for a job like UPMan's - I'm sure we'd also do whatever it took to keep it, even if that meant keeping mum until the Boss says "OK, now you can post this statement"). I can't fault Paul for not answering these questions given the circumstances and the fact that right now the engineers are still trying to figure out how this is going to be fixed.

Let's be patient folks. When Paul can post an update, you can rest assured that he will.

-AZ
Old 02-03-2014, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZScanner View Post
right now the engineers are still trying to figure out how this is going to be fixed.
First you have to admit there is a problem before it can be fixed.

Sponsored links

Old 02-03-2014, 1:48 PM

Default In time..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpockets View Post
Upman did say they are looking into it.

Mark
Old 02-03-2014, 2:13 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
In my opinion UPMan would not be investigating this if he did not think there could be a problem. I am sure he has plenty of other problems to deal with. Therefore, he believes what you guys are telling him and he is looking into it.
Old 02-03-2014, 5:07 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Location: Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very cold.

Quote:
Honestly, it's stuff like this that makes me want to nominate Paul for sainthood or something. Seems to me like he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't with some folks here.

What do you want him to say exactly before you'll believe he's working on the issue?

-AZ
Old 02-03-2014, 5:50 PM

Default Headphone issue

Well if they look here then they are listening to the Customer. If I am unhappy as a customer I tell the company. If they don't listen I tell everybody I know.

The less expensive headset (got it with a AM FM radio) has the low freq. hum when powered off connected to the power brick. Connected to a regulated power supply, or vehicle the hum does not appear. Don't think there is supposed to be any power at all to the headphone jack when powered off. This headset still has the hiss but is not as noticeable as the more expensive headset.

The noise cancelling headset clips the beep on menus and replaces it with the hiss. It has a nasty hiss on any freq.

Get all the oscilloscopes out of the closets as something is wrong. Would return the radio if it were not for two things. I purchased it from a mom, and pop store. This is Uniden's problem they should not have to pay for it. Also I like the radio, but future purchases of Uniden equipment are in question.

I post this info so they can duplicate it, and find a solution. Not to beat up on them. Well not yet anyway.

At this point I am done troubleshooting. I am not an Electronic Tech.
Old 02-03-2014, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZScanner View Post
What do you want him to say exactly before you'll believe he's working on the issue?
You were the one that said right now the engineers are still trying to figure out how this is going to be fixed.

Paul said it will have to be properly studied and he can't answer any of those questions.

I said you have to admit there's a problem before it can be fixed, so the people with the problem wait until the study is complete and see what Paul reports and what will take place.

Old 02-03-2014, 8:07 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The question isn't if but when. The reason those of us who can't use the radio are desperate for ANY information is because we can't enjoy our radio.

Those of you who are very patient and seemingly family of Uniden and Paul, ask yourselves the following question:

WHY did you buy the radio?

If the answer you give was somehow not being met (TDMA decoding now working, Scanning too slow, Recording not working, RR database download not working, Favorites lists corrupted, whatever) would you be willing to wait indefinitely for no information whatsoever?

This is why some of us are continuously monitoring the situation and some of us less patient than others.

We should always RESPECT each other, in BOTH directions. Please allow the system to work itself out. IF this is the only outlet we have for communication, we need to allow for the outlet to work. Otherwise it breeds an atmosphere of distrust and an aura of favoritism.

This forum I believed was FOR the people, not a manufacturer's hangout. Indeed it is a symbiotic relationship so again, I ask for tolerance of those who are a bit less patient than others.

Aside for blatant disregard for civility, respectful discourse should be fully allowed for transparency.

I am willing to be banned for my statements if this forum is to be what I do not think it is.

Since I can only use my radio with headphones, I am unable to enjoy my new scanner. I am using my HP-1 again and the 536HP is sadly sitting in the box idle.

Thanks for allowing me to voice [my] opinion.
Sponsored links
Old 02-03-2014, 8:14 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
You were the one that said right now the engineers are still trying to figure out how this is going to be fixed.

Paul said it will have to be properly studied and he can't answer any of those questions.

I said you have to admit there's a problem before it can be fixed, so the people with the problem wait until the study is complete and see what Paul reports and what will take place.
Here would be a reasonable response that would satisfy me and others I believe:

"We have sampled a few radios and do not see the issue. We continue to work with a few of our users to try and identify the issue"

or

"We have sampled a few radios and do recognize the issue. Our engineers are working on the quickest and best possible solution. Thank you for your patience while we investigate this issue further."

or something similar. Again, I can find many analogies we can apply to other situations... You buy a new Canon dSLR and the shutter is spraying oil on the sensor. You tell Canon of the issue and they simply say "We are looking into it" A couple of weeks go by and you hear nothing regarding the issue. Others are reporting it as well. Canon officially continues to say they are looking into it.

I would likely return the camera. I have not considered returning my radio but the longer time passes, the less of an opportunity I have to return it for a refund or enjoy it.
Old 02-05-2014, 5:01 PM

Hi All,

I sadly have the same headphone issue on the 536hp, I am also planning on taking the unit overseas in about three months and headphone jack is highly needed.

Unfortunately there is no warranty coverage outside of the USA.

I would really like to know if I return the unit to get another one later on.
(Hopefully won't be charged restocking fee since the product is defective and only have a few days left to make this choice)

Or wait and have it fixed somehow...

This is my big concern for me at this time.

I have been following UPman comments on this, I am a Uniden fan and want to keep it that way for a long time, I just hope that the answer to this issue will be fair and prompt for all of the current early adopters.

73's
Old 02-05-2014, 7:15 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If you have headphone issues with the BCD536HP please see the following:

http://forums.radioreference.com/uni...ne-issues.html
Old 02-05-2014, 10:22 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I am very happy that UPman made that posting.
This is a model outcome. Textbook. Uniden knows exactly where the problem is and how it happened.
they know how to fix it too.
So once they know exactly how many units are involved they will build up a repair kit for each radio.and then arrange to install it. I suspect they will want to work on the units headed for the retail chain so that sales are not impacted.
Uniden wants to make us happy.
They send us a fixed or new radio in exchange for our bad unit that requires repair. A basic swap......Or we can send our radios in (in serial number order)for repair so they do not get overwhelmed by hundreds or thousands (very doubtful) of radios.
Now that we know that all will be well, we can relax.
Sure there are some people out there who are upset and will not get over it until they have a new or repaired radio in their hands.Oh well.

I don't mind plugging the Headphones (Sony 7506) into the speaker output on the rear. Care must be taken to keep the volume LOW or risk blowing the headphones or worse yet EARS out.

I look forward to hearing what the radio is really supposed to sound like.

Yaesumofo
BC-780
VR 500
Icom R20
BC-250
Just to name a few
Old 02-05-2014, 10:42 PM
FL, GA, AL, MS Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

I'm also interested in how this process might work. I have 2 536HP's and one of them is installed in my vehicle. If we have to send them in for repair or swap out I would hate to have to be down 2 radios for the time it takes to ship, repair, and return. But I'm glad they are working it. I'm sure the logistics will be a nightmare. Imagine hundreds of radios being returned at once. I once had to send in a item due to recall and I didn't see it for 3 months. Everyone sent their items in at the same time resulting in repair turnaround overload.